Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

darkman2 wrote: »
    I would say everyone should avoid higher parts of Wicklow full stop. Bad idea to go up there atm no matter what vehicle you have. A nice snowy adventure can quickly turn hellish if your not careful and use common sense. Don't go near Sally Gap. Thats lunacy.

You are right, I was only giving that advise to Kippure as he is somewhat familiar with the Kippure area and I think is probably nutty enough to try it regardless, I am just pointing out the safest route as i see it based on my many many drives up there from all approaches.
    For what its worth, there no way in hell i would attempt it myself, the roads are incredibly icy lower down and the rain and sleet isnt making things any better. Lowering temps means while you might make it up..you may well not make it back down.
    I would also add, I did go for a spin earlier and turned back, it was just too far out side my comfort zone, and I have plenty of practice in shiite road conditions.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Supercell wrote: »
    Kippure - if you want to get up there, I'd recommend taking the military road (northbound as opposed to south bound like that looney tune BB!) from Laragh, its a gradual incline most of the way except for a short stretch before Glenmacnass waterfall and doesn't have the same steep approaches as from Glencree so should be traversable in a 4x4 with extreme caution.
    I wouldnt go up until the precip stops though, conditions are likely to deteriorate behind you, I reckon the likes of Sally gap will be for the hill walkers only and mountain rescue from now onwards.

*insert RTE News Intro and Anne Doyle voice*

"The main news tonight"

"A young man has been found frozen to death on mountainous terrain near Glencree, Co Wicklow tonight...." - "The occupant was discovered in a 4X4 just off the Military Road"....:rolleyes:

He is not actually planning to drive up there is he? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

i see the last of the precipitation has left the south coast. i presume there is more bands behind given the forecast tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Athlone bypass, icy rain and 2.5c the rain has been constant since Dublin with variable amounts of sleet mixed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

You are right, I was only giving that advise to Kippure as he is somewhat familiar with the Kippure area and I think is probably nutty enough to try it regardless, I am just pointing out the safest route as i see it based on my many many drives up there from all approaches.
    For what its worth, there no way in hell i would attempt it myself, the roads are incredibly icy lower down and the rain and sleet isnt making things any better. Lowering temps means while you might make it up..you may well not make it back down.

Lmao lol, I,m doing it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I would say everyone should avoid higher parts of Wicklow full stop. Bad idea to go up there atm no matter what vehicle you have. A nice snowy adventure can quickly turn hellish if your not careful and use common sense. Don't go near Sally Gap. Thats lunacy.
    and if you do go up, bring a weeks worth of supplies, find out how to bulid a snow cave so you don't need to call on the mountain rescue

...it will take longer then a week to get back :p

Anyone want to guess how many inches higher Lug and Kippure are tonight?:pac:

The morning won't be any better tbh Kippure. In fact it will probrably be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Don't worry too much as the snow will arrive in Dublin soon! What about February 2009 where we had a week of freezing ice and snow on and off with up to 6 inches in places like Castleknock in Dublin 15 where I live and loads in Knockloyon and other places of Dublin? There were even heavy falls in Drumcondra for Christ sake!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Have to say Met Eireann and the eagle were *spot on*. There is snow on higher ground and precious little else. A bit of sleet around and thats it. Midlands have done better as usual. "Day after tomorrow" on the east coast is nowhere near happening. 1C here near lamb doyles and its pissing rain! DP in Dublin is just too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Wibbler wrote: »
    Latest M2 buoy data (Irish sea) has the dew point at 4.0C not exactly conducive to snow for east coast, no?
    Dropped from 4C to 2.6C in an hour

• Advertisement

As someone who once worked of remergency services, Id just like to say that the selfishness of the public never ceases to amaze me. People are given warning after warning, and still decide that its okay for them to traipse up mountains in bad weather, sure not too worry, the taxpayers will pay for my rescue, not too mention the fact they put emergency services personnell at risk.

My heart goes out to the teams who no doubt will be busy rescuing stupid selfish people for the next few days.

I did of course mean work for, not of..:)

Anyone want to guess how many inches higher Lug and Kippure are tonight?:pac:

Me and sundog were up on kippure there a couple of days ago. 2 feet drifts in places.

Right now i,d say its double that easy

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

:D;):p:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool::P:confused::pac:

no snow in mayo.
    why is irish weather so retarded.

Anyone know how to bluetooth videos from a nokia e72 to a pc?
    Clicking options on the thumbnail is giving me no send options at all and it's driving me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Is anyone else having trouble getting onto the road conditions part of the NRA website, or is it just me?:eek:

*insert RTE News Intro and Anne Doyle voice*

"The main news tonight"

"A young man has been found frozen to death on mountainous terrain near Glencree, Co Wicklow tonight...." - "The occupant was discovered in a 4X4 just off the Military Road"....:rolleyes:

He is not actually planning to drive up there is he? :o
    Kippure wrote: »

See??!!, I knew it!! :D
    Kippure, how are your snow cave building skill's?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Kippure wrote: »

Yeah but this could have been a major event at low levels. It is a major event over 200m. A major, major event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Sleet and rain mix now & any lying snow is melting:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Johnny1999 wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble getting onto the road conditions part of the NRA website, or is it just me?:eek:
    yeah it's down alright. Ironically all i get is a white screen

The Nuacht RTE weather there showed heavy snow showers for North and North West coasts on Sat and Sun. Showers on east coast for Thur and Fri.

By the way, temp is now 0.5c here. It is seriously bucketing down. Lodging all the time. will get some pics in morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Yeah but this could have been a major event at low levels. It is a major event over 200m. A major, major event.

Yeah problem is many more people live at lower levels than over 200m. It only becomes a major event when a lot of people of hit with extreme weather. Its snowing at over 200m in Winter in Ireland....WOW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

so the eagle was correct.
    NON EVENT at lower levels.
    lots of egg around here today.

Anyone know how to bluetooth videos from a nokia e72 to a pc?
    Clicking options on the thumbnail is giving me no send options at all and it's driving me mad!

oooh, thats a job for a teenager.:)Mines not here or id ask her.

heres the military road near aughavanagh co wicklow at 4pm today,it will be a lot worse now.
    I sent this by mms from the phone to sparky and he uploaded it for me.

There will be a lot more snow there now as it was pegging it down!

http://pix.sparky-s.ie/1c788.jpg.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dear young person,

I don't quite know how to break this news to you gently.. but the universe does not take its "point" around our wishes.

Anyways, if you look at ME Ulster......Nice white bits sitting over us..

owenc wrote: »
    when is this snow ever going to reach ni because this cloud is getting RATHER annoying rising our temps and melting all the snow... and it is rather pointless if we do not get any snow!

Mothman wrote: »
    Dropped from 4C to 2.6C in an hour

Temp suddenly dropped here too, looks like the colder air is making it southwards finally.
    DP 0.7 here, will have proper wet flaky snow around 0.3 i reckon. Snow level on the mountain slopes probably down to 250 or lower at a guess.

My rain guage is working today - 25.7 mm here, I wonder what the depth of snow is on top of Scarr?, must be at least a couple of feet and growing by the hour on the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

so the eagle was correct.
    NON EVENT at lower levels.
    lots of egg around here today.
    Galway City, Barna, Lahinch and Oranmore are at sea level yet have seen snow.

Yeah problem is many more people live at lower levels than over 200m. It only becomes a major event when a lot of people of hit with extreme weather. Its snowing at over 200m in Winter in Ireland....WOW!

Why don't you go up and find out just how "Wow!" it is? - 200m is not that high actually. There's a blizzard going on atm above 200m. Not showers or harsh frost. A real blizzard that's got another 24hrs at least to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

heres the military road near aughavanagh co wicklow at 4pm today,it will be a lot worse now.
    I sent this by mms from the phone to sparky and he uploaded it for me.

There will be a lot more snow there now as it was pegging it down!

http://pix.sparky-s.ie/1c788.jpg.html

OH....MY....GOD that is AMAZING!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

Heavy Snow falling in Millstreet :D

• Advertisement

See??!!, I knew it!! :D
    Kippure, how are your snow cave building skill's?

I,ve done that for real and it works. Snow caves or snow shelters save 100,s of peoples lives every year.

If i can survive working in minus 35 and higher windchills, ill be ok. Its people who go out into the wild and are unaware of the dangers around them that get into difficulty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement