Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

darkman2 wrote: »
    It's going to even colder from tomorrow then at anytime since the cold began a couple of weeks ago.

Thats the problem I think. Lots of people are expecting to much from today. Great to see people getting snow at the moment, but during tomorrow morning is when the real cold starts to bite. With the cold air undercutting the rain belt, it will turn increasingly to snow as it moves south.
    The rain/sleet/snow has stalled at the moment and is really struggling to push any further north than it is just now, (N.Monaghan/Tyrone) It will get a bit further north, and this is where the cold/mild battle is beginning.
    As always, its not easy to predict how much precip will be left in this system by tomorrow, but I will be very surprised if all areas do not get some snow from this between 6am tomorrow morning, and 6am Thurs.
    Then the fun may start for the East in the form of heavy showers, but thats another days work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Discodog wrote: »
    Very strange radar image. Most of the country covered in blue.

snowing in mallow in cork - not very much but definately not sleet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Villain wrote: »
    Wouldn't expect anything Croppy until Tomorrow night at the earliest

Awwww........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

snowing in mallow in cork - not very much but definately not sleet!

aaawww munsterlegend that's great!!! I feel like i'm in a forcefield that's blocking out all the snow!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

am now in the clouds, ice is just falling as opposed to snow, not sure if that makes any sense at all, let me try again....

Its like fog that cant stay up.

& is frozen.

Not sure if it can accumulate, will see later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

the eagle said snow!!!!

reall bad forcast overall

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Congrats to Weathercheck for calling it right.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Fair old backtrack from the Eagle there - he should have listened to everyone on here!

Now forecasting significant snow as far up as North Connacht.

And no end to the cold snap in sight...

VERY promising forecast from the Eagle i thought:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

gally74 wrote: »
    the eagle said snow!!!!

"Rain turning increasingly to snow overnight" is what I pick up on that forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Eagle ramped for tonight but downplayed the showers off the Irish sea on Thursday and Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Yup, Eagleton just ramped a fair bit. Mentioned the east coast getting activity and that there will be snow showers, no doubt, in the next few days :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

The Eagle also said he can't remember such a prolonged cold spell as this one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

The eagle has landed,
    Looking good for tonight/tmrw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Didn't I say milstreet to macroom yesterday!

Still cant work out how to bluetooth video's from the e72 tothe pc.
    It has no option to :/
    I have 3 of them from the military road that I want to show ye.

Try sending them as picture messages to your email and download them that way.

roryc1 wrote: »
    The eagle has landed,
    :D

I was waiting for someone to use that...:rolleyes::D!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Temp has been stuck between 5.1C and 4.2C here since the rain started, currently 4.5C/2.7C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Been out and about the last few hours, and there's about as much chance of the turkey giblets turning to snow as there is that that rain will do so over south Dublin. It's too warm. There's a howling wind, but not even a wind chill, and the temperature hasn't noticably started dropping after dark.

Unless cold air moves in from somewhere, it ain't going to happen. Not tonight. But the north easterlies in a day or two may do the trick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Towards athenry now, snow getting more sleety and temp up to 1c.
    Road a bit better along here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please take care... It is like that just outside here; even the dogs are sliding around.

Like a ghost town up here!..

K-9 wrote: »
    Wow.

It's like that in Churchill, in the Hills of Donegal, just not snowing now.

Back in Convoy, walked to the shop there and took me 25 minutes, normally 10 minutes.

Treated roads are ok, but footpaths and back roads are lethal. It must have thawed a little today and is now freezing over. Very dangerous. Nearly slipped about 10 times!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

mad DIY wrote: »
    Been out and about the last few hours, and there's about as much chance of the turkey giblets turning to snow as there is that that rain will do do over south Dublin. It's too warm. There's a howling wind, but not even a wind chill, and the temperature hasn't noticably started dropping after dark.

Unless cold air moves in from somewhere, it ain't going to happen. Not tonight. But the north easterlies in a day or two may do the trick :)

I feel you,re pain, but at least its heading in right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Same as ME says...
    "Rain turning increasingly to snow overnight" is what I pick up on that forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Eagle forecasts records will be broken before this cold snap ends ..... now I wonder will I get seconds up here in North Donegal?:p Weathercheck?? Our plate has been licked clean and all the caster suger is gone! Seems a lot of excitement is brewing for the main dish about to be served for the rest of you tho :) Enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Galway City, Barna, Lahinch and Oranmore are at sea level yet have seen snow.

indeed. Hard to fathom when Knock airport is only reporting sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Arrived galway, seems to be a sleet and rain mix. White on the footpaths and grass.
    Temp 1c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Heavy snow here still. 1.5-2 inches. Amazing stuff.

Great forecast from ME there. Weathercheck is right about the significant event. RedSunset as well as been echoing this sentiment since yesterday morn. I hope everyone gets some snow tonight!

My own post yesterday morn - "there remains a chance of snow everywhere. The midwest and west, particularly above 200m but at lower levels also"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

The Eagle certainly changed his tune on that forecast compared to last night. Ramped up the possibility of snow big time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Met 1 - Boards 0
    Have to say Met Eireann and the eagle were *spot on*. There is snow on higher ground and precious little else. A bit of sleet around and thats it. Midlands have done better as usual. "Day after tomorrow" on the east coast is nowhere near happening. 1C here near lamb doyles and its pissing rain! DP in Dublin is just too high.
    so the eagle was correct.
    NON EVENT at lower levels.
    lots of egg around here today.
    Only thing is eagelton just said its gona be snow now on lower levels so I do believe its "Met 0-Boards 1" ;)
    Heres some kleenex to wipe that egg from your faces lads :P
    sl67fc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sdonn wrote: »
    Yup, Eagleton just ramped a fair bit. Mentioned the east coast getting activity and that there will be snow showers, no doubt, in the next few days :P

due to the convectional potential off the sea there will be features that pop up suddenly from the north easterly air that the models won't pick up on. so don't worry you'll see a decent bit of snow from thursday night onwards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

in fairness to eagle he is callig it as it is,

1 degree higher or lower here will make all the distance,

can anyone dig up some charts to show when this real cold air will hit, well really be getting it then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement