Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Mad DIY > I can confirm there is snow in Kildare. I am @ 800ft + above Kilteel and the ground in white. Spitting snow on and off all afternoon. Though its localised at the moment above 600ft+....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

No snow here, just the usual rain.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

The dew point at the M2 buoy has dropped down to 2.6C. That's a 1.4C fall since my last post on it earlier. Temp is only down 0.1C to 5.9C. Is this indicative of the arrival of drier air?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so it seems tobeconfirmed may owe weathercheck a beer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I confidently predict – by the look in Mr fox’s eyes this afternoon - that by this time tomorrow the prophetic words of James Joyce will resound around these boards as everyone awakes from ghostly dreams to a snowy wonderland that will haunt their wintery memories for generations to come:

”A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, boards.ie were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

200motels wrote: »
    No snow here, just the usual rain.:mad:

Very heavy rain now, hammering down with a constant temp of 3.0c since darkness fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

gally74 wrote: »
    in fairness to eagle he is callig it as it is,

1 degree higher or lower here will make all the distance,

can anyone dig up some charts to show when this real cold air will hit, well really be getting it then.
    Exactly, hes not mystic meg , they can only call it how they see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    6PM Snow Report Update

I am under that dot east of Limerick. I can guarantee you there is no snow here, nor has there been. Its all rain and wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

snow ghost wrote: »
    I confidently predict – by the look in Mr fox’s eyes this afternoon - that by this time tomorrow the prophetic words of James Joyce will resound around these boards as everyone awakes from ghostly dreams to a snowy wonderland that will haunt their wintery memories for generations to come:

”A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, boards.ie were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.”

Wasn't it Father Ted said that??! LOL!

I'll believe it when i see it!:D

mickger wrote: »
    The Eagle certainly changed his tune on that forecast compared to last night. Ramped up the possibility of snow big time :)
    But we're not going to get any snow.

• Advertisement

Too bad I missed the eagle's forecast. i hope given the positive feedback about his latest forecast that he has not been unduly influenced by the experts on this site:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Jumpy wrote: »
    I am under that dot east of Limerick. I can guarantee you there is no snow here, nor has there been. Its all rain and wind.
    someone posted about snow falling near Newport 2-3 hrs ago. The map is not a depiction of snow falling at the time of the post, but of snow that has fallen since 1pm. Can you tell me where you are? If you are in newport and can confirm snow ahs not fallen today at any point I can erase that record. Thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

We need an 'LOL' button on here :pac: . We Irish do have the best sense of humour I must say. Sure I do even have meself LOLing be times.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

maybe its reported already but HEAVY SNOW IN TIPP TOWN :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

200motels wrote: »
    But we're not going to get any snow.

We have as good a chance as most of getting snow this time. Keep the faith:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Wibbler wrote: »
    The dew point at the M2 buoy has dropped down to 2.6C. That's a 1.4C fall since my last post on it earlier. Temp is only down 0.1C to 5.9C. Is this indicative of the arrival of drier air?
    and now up to 3.6C the following hour, but yes the overall trend is downwards

Could we possibly have a new thread started. Its getting harder and harder to scroll though this one :)
    Just might be handier when looking for chart postings as the night goes on.
    I forecast a long long night on de boards :):D

Too bad I missed the eagle's forecast. i hope given the positive feedback about his latest forecast that he has not been unduly influenced by the experts on this site:pac:
    It was Eveylyn and the thoughts of dinner with me in chapter one and the bottles of chateau neuf du pap.
    She had a word with him :pac:

Meanwhile,the dp is actually rising here as is the temp.
    Our dp here is the same as than m2 now where as all day it was 2 degrees colder than it :confused:

http://pix.sparky-s.ie/1c788.jpg.html

so that's what snow heaven looks like:D

times like this I really wish i lived in Wicklow. Its so beautiful there when it snows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pouring rain here now and feels milder than it did this afternoon, at the moment I cannot see this turning to snow tonight for most of us in the east, the wind is strong off the warm sea and temperatures are just not falling. Hopefully luck will come our side later on and it will turn cold enough for snow but considerng how wet it is here were gonna need some amount of snow for anything to stick. When it does get cold enough on Thursday Im really hoping that the showers get going from the Irish Sea as that will be our main chance of finally seeing some lying snow this winter..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

yes temp has risen here as well last hour. was 1.1c now up to 2.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Pangea wrote: »
    Only thing is eagelton just said its gona be snow now on lower levels so I do believe its "Met 0-Boards 1" ;)
    Heres some kleenex to wipe that egg from your faces lads :P
    sl67fc.jpg

:) I do hope you are right trust me, but I think Sth Dublin aint gonna get nuffin! It just feels too warm - the DP is not there yet and does not look like it. What we need is the cold air to get down to us right now with this downpour but it does not look like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Leahyl, sing ‘I’m a Believer’ by the Monkeys as you gaze skywards… the glazed eyes of desperation I saw in Mr fox's eyes had ‘HEAVY’ ‘SNOW’ written all over them.

Father Jack may have said it in a drunken recitation of Joyce but Father Ted didn’t have a poetic bone in him. :)

It has been snowing here since about 1pm. It is frightening to think what '2-day totals reaching 30 mm or more in places' would do to this area in terms of snow depth.

MUNSTER REGIONAL UPDATE FROM Met Eireann
    29 December 2009- updated at 18:00 Tonight

Continuing cold, windy and wet. Widespread rain and sleet which will be persistent and heavy at times. Further snowfall on higher ground and away from southern coasts, some places will see snow at lower levels too. Strong and gusty east to northeast winds. Lowest temperatures 0 to plus 3 degrees, highest by southern coasts.

Tomorrow

Continuing cold, windy and wet with further rain and sleet at times, 2-day totals reaching 30 mm or more in places. Further falls of snow over mountains and away from southern coasts there'll be some snow at lower levels too. Strong easterly winds persisting and highest temperatures 2 to 5 degrees.

snow ghost wrote: »
    Leahyl, sing ‘I’m a Believer’ by the Monkeys as you gaze skywards… the glazed eyes of desperation I saw in Mr fox's eyes had ‘HEAVY’ ‘SNOW’ written all over them.

Father Jack may have said it in a drunken recitation of Joyce but Father Ted didn’t have a poetic bone in him. :)

Right.....!! ha!

Bone dry in Cork City now - light breeze and it's cool enough - exactly what the temp is i don't know

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    It has been snowing here since about 1pm. It is frightening to think what '2-day totals reaching 30 mm or more in places' would do to this area in terms of snow depth.

MUNSTER REGIONAL UPDATE FROM Met Eireann
    29 December 2009- updated at 18:00 Tonight

Continuing cold, windy and wet. Widespread rain and sleet which will be persistent and heavy at times. Further snowfall on higher ground and away from southern coasts, some places will see snow at lower levels too. Strong and gusty east to northeast winds. Lowest temperatures 0 to plus 3 degrees, highest by southern coasts.

Tomorrow

Continuing cold, windy and wet with further rain and sleet at times, 2-day totals reaching 30 mm or more in places. Further falls of snow over mountains and away from southern coasts there'll be some snow at lower levels too. Strong easterly winds persisting and highest temperatures 2 to 5 degrees.

"Away from southern coasts" being the important words there (for me anyway)! No fair:(

7PM Snow Report Update

mickger wrote: »
    We have as good a chance as most of getting snow this time. Keep the faith:)
    Hope your right Mickger, what's the temp now?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snaps wrote: »
    yes temp has risen here as well last hour. was 1.1c now up to 2.1c

yes some event this is am getting tired of this easterly wind the moment since its come the temps have risen and risen upto 2c now the highest it has been all day never getting any snow or frost at this rate is horrible rubbish melting all our frost and snow!!!!!!!! arggg!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement