Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

This radar shows that the front has stalled. When it retreats south I don't know. http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop and http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=2&sat=ir

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

inabina wrote: »
    i would not be too concerned with lack of precip coming up from the south, this band will just pivot on the country and hopefully turn into a stubborn wave and will "develop a mind of its own" as the eagle would say:confused:

hmm just seems to be going north and east at the moment! doesn't seem to be tracking anyway south at all which is a little worrying if south of the pivot line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

opr wrote: »
    If places get significant falls over the next few days plus with more falls likely to come further down the line and seemingly no end to the cold snap itself this could surely get fairly nasty for alot of the country ?

Opr

Actually, although I'm disppointed at not seeing any snow yet, tbh I am dreading next week when I have to go back to work and may be trying to commute through more of it than I would wish to see. tbh I think its a bit lucky that the rain over Dublin today didn't come down as snow - that rain was very heavy and if it had been snow instead the city would have been completely paralysed with everyone up to their knees in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

opr wrote: »
    seemingly no end to the cold snap itself this could surely get fairly nasty for alot of the country ?

Opr
    at the risk of spoiling the party. given we our surrounded by the sea, the atlantic could breakthrough at anytime despite what models may predict for five or six days time. indeed the system in five days coming from the south could go much further north than anticipitated and end up displacing the really cold over us.
    it is less likely to happen given other parameters are currently in our favour, but what we can say is if the nao goes into positive territory there is a greater chance of mike65's wishes being granted:P

heavy snow for a time in longford now.

roads are slushy. paths are very dangerous and slippy.
    where abouts in Longord if you do not mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Wibbler wrote: »
    What's got it snowing in the west and not in Dublin when cold air is supposed to be coming from the east? Local cold already in place?

the wind is coming from the irish sea thus raising the temperatures a bit. Valentia (Kerry) which is normally always 3 to 4 degrees warmer than dublin is now COLDER than Dublin (just an example).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

mad DIY wrote: »
    Actually, although I'm disppointed at not seeing any snow yet, tbh I am dreading next week when I have to go back to work and may be trying to commute through more of it than I would wish to see. tbh I think its a bit lucky that the rain over Dublin today didn't come down as snow - that rain was very heavy and if it had been snow instead the city would have been completely paralysed with everyone up to their knees in it.

Yes i would also prefer the snow before i go back to work but knowing my luck there'll be a blizzard next week in Cork and everywhere else will be bone dry!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Good evening gang :D

Ready for another ride on the rollercoaster :D

Sleet here in West Limerick which is turning increasingly to snow. The snow is sticking and the road is pretty slushy and if it freezes it'll be a replay of the past week again.

Plenty of grub in the cupboard (and that's just for tonight's boards viewing:p).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    This radar shows that the front has stalled. When it retreats south I don't know. http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop and http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

It will probably waver over the next 24hrs Wolf. As the low deepens a little tomorrow it may just bulge it northwards a little again before it rapidly skirts away to the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

mad DIY wrote: »

isn't that we want? we want this city to be up to its neck in snow!:D That is my whole point in existing on earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

leahyl wrote: »
    Come on the pool! God knows they need a win...:rolleyes:

You'd enjoy the game. Apparently it's snowing in Villa Park!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    You'd enjoy the game. Apparently it's snowing in Villa Park!

I think i'll go watch that now.....!!:D Get a little look at Gerrard too while i'm at it...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The Pool will lose to Villa tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Temp now 4C here in Swords. Moderate precipitation in the form of cold rain with drops of colder rain mixed in.

:D Brilliant!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

where abouts in Longord if you do not mind me asking?

im actually outside longford town. its heavier in the town itself, but i live just 5 miles northwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

anyone suffering from "lack of snow depression"? As I child I used to look out the window and watch the sleet bashing against the window and pray it would turn to snow. I would get sad when it did not happen. Now I have you folks to keep up my spirits.

anyone else with a snow report. I HAVE to watch Liverpool game too:D

snow ghost wrote: »

Probably....:rolleyes:

anyone else with a snow report. I HAVE to watch Liverpool game too:D

No you don't - it'll end in tears Wolfe mark my words!!:D

stay on here with us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Probably....:rolleyes:

Let's keep it on topic shall we ("where's me snow?") :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So can someone summarise where the heaviest snowfall has been so far?
    Are we talking inches yet?
    This thread is impossible to keep track off unless I quite living and keep clicking refresh :P

I think i'll go watch that now.....!!:D Get a little look at Gerrard too while i'm at it...!

You're hilarious leahyl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Look at all the snow at Villa park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's keep it on topic shall we ("where's me snow?") :D

why am i the only one that gets taken up for commenting on it??!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

"Let's keep it on topic shall we ("where's me snow?") biggrin.gif "

- Villa Park

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its rather frustrating, 32.5mm precip so far today here.
    I can SEE the snowline in the fields above me, but its still above me.
    So close i can almost touch it, not fair!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

is there not more precipitation coming in from the west and south on this chart? or am i reading it wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I can officially say it's snowing heavy in North Kerry :D

AntiRip wrote: »
    I can officially say it's snowing heavy in North Kerry :D
    whereabouts please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

snow ghost wrote: »
    sadly as a pool fan I fear you are right

This discussion has been closed.