Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

What I cannot understand is how it is snowing in Clare, Kerry and the West in General where it is usually milder than the East and the North. I mean who ever heard of snow in the plains of Kerry and Clare?? It was snowing in Dublin a few days ago but just light stuff. Well if it really has been sleeting/snowing down there then logic suggests that it will have to do so up here in the East. Currently 2 degrees in Castleknock, Dublin and has been for the past 6 hours. Still raining/sleeting but no snow. No snow in Johnnie Foxes either in Dublin mountains or in Laragh near Glendalough, Co. Wicklow. STRANGE!!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

match will be abandoned due to snow:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    whereabouts please?

outside Tarbert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

is there not more precipitation coming in from the west and south on this chart? or am i reading it wrong?
    I think Deep said it. There is every chance that the precip will intensify over the next few hours. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/ shows this in the past half hr

met eireann precip chart up to 9pm. I find it very accurate (at least over past 2 weeks)
    3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

that snow is so beautiful in Villa Park....it would be lovely if we got it here - everywhere around us - Kerry, Limerick, Tipp, Cork County but none in Cork City....sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

ffarrell wrote: »
    What I cannot understand is how it is snowing in Clare, Kerry and the West in General where it is usually milder than the East and the North. I mean who ever heard of snow in the plains of Kerry and Clare?? It was snowing in Dublin a few days ago but just light stuff. Well if it really has been sleeting/snowing down there then logic suggests that it will have to do so up here in the East. Currently 2 degrees in Castleknock, Dublin and has been for the past 6 hours. Still raining/sleeting but no snow. No snow in Johnnie Foxes either in Dublin mountains or in Laragh near Glendalough, Co. Wicklow. STRANGE!!!!!!:mad:
    Very strange indeed. at the moment: Valentia 2c and Dublin Airport 3c, how can that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

i notice the temperatures in Scotland are plumbeting. some central areas down to -12c

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

ffarrell wrote: »
    What I cannot understand is how it is snowing in Clare, Kerry and the West in General ..... No snow in Johnnie Foxes either in Dublin mountains or in Laragh near Glendalough, Co. Wicklow. STRANGE!!!!!!:mad:

It is sleeting in Wicklow, and snowing above about 275 metres, its very very marginal. The inhabited areas are just below the snowline for now. But that will change tomorrow

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

temp is rising. now 3.4 in Sandyford. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Wet snow in Tipp Town for the last 1.5 hours...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Nothing but rain here at the moment, looking at the liverpool game for some snow.. oh and some goals hopefully..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Very strange indeed. at the moment: Valentia 2c and Dublin Airport 3c, how can that be?

The wind is blowing in from the irish sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

At the risk of getting another bashing I think ME did well on forecasting today's weather. They always said snow on high ground and a risk of some on lower levels. Going on their official reports today that has been the case - and not one of the 19Z reports mentions sleet or snow.

Going on the posts here I think most people are licking their wounds and have had only sleety rain at most, as I said would be the case this time last night. It would be interesting to have the elevations of the snow reports on the map, as I expect most of them are above a few hundred feet (except Galway city of course!)

Make of this post what you will.

Su Campu wrote: »

Going on the posts here I think most people are licking their wounds and have had only sleety rain at most, as I said would be the case this time last night. It would be interesting to have the elevations of the snow reports on the map, as I expect most of them are above a few hundred feet (except Galway city of course!)
    Most areas are on higher ground, outside of western coastal spots that have seen snow.

8PM Snow UPDATE

At the risk of getting another bashing I think ME did well on forecasting today's weather. They always said snow on high ground and a risk of some on lower levels. Going on their official reports today that has been the case - and not one of the 19Z reports mentions sleet or snow.

well said. Eagleton also said "I think it will be rain". and thats the final result. At least until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

uh-oh.... the headache has started for me now.
    Can't describe it but it's unlike any other type of headache (hangover/sinus etc) like a dull pain over my right eye and a tightening over the right side of my skull.... Snow to hit this location in 3-4 hours I reckon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

inabina wrote: »
    well said. Eagleton also said "I think it will be rain". and thats the final result. At least until tomorrow.

i thought he changed his mind on tonight's forecast and said the rain would turn to snow in places over the course of the night??
    bear in mind i haven't seen his earlier forecast, i'm just going on what others have said.

those of you interested in seeing the Eagles (assume it was him) view at 6.25pm can catch it again in a minute on the rolling news at

http://www.rte.ie/live/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Putting my diplomatic hat on...
    I think with the Boards vs Met E thing its a score draw

You can find wrongs and rights in both

• Advertisement

i thought he changed his mind on tonight's forecast and said the rain would turn to snow in places over the course of the night??
    bear in mind i haven't seen his earlier forecast, i'm just going on what others have said.

well i was referring to his assessment last night at 925pm. i know its depressing. the chance of a significant snow event seems to have passed for now.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

uh-oh.... the headache has started for me now.
    Can't describe it but it's unlike any other type of headache (hangover/sinus etc) like a dull pain over my right eye and a tightening over the right side of my skull.... .

I genuinely feel for you Chicken Run :( Nothing worse than an intense headache. Take a couple of Nurofen Plus, should do the trick. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

On iol news...
    Was it Kippure heading out? Please; don't?

Motorists were warned to avoid driving near the Wicklow mountains tonight due to dangerous road conditions.

Gardaí appealed for people not to travel around the Sally Gap, Glenmalure and Aughavanna as emergency services have no access to the areas.

AA Roadwatch said condition are also icy on secondary routes in Ulster, Connaught and Leinster.

Extreme care is advised in Kerry and Galway where snow is falling.

Assistant Garda Commissioner Kevin Ludlow earlier advised all road users to be wary of the dangers when driving.

“It is important to realise the conditions differ significantly right across the country and indeed the overnight thaw has probably left some of the roads in a more aggravated condition,” he said.

“It is very important that motorists and indeed pedestrians recognise that there are several dangers out there, particularly in shaded untreated areas.”

Met Eireann forecast the cold snap will continue over the coming days, with falls of rain and sleet everywhere overnight.

The New Year will bring frost, ice and freezing fog, with temperatures expected to fall to -5C on Thursday night.

In the Mid West region, drivers were also urged to drive with extreme caution as heavy snowfall is expected to lead to extremely difficult conditions.

Clare County Council said seven road gritting crews have been covering 580kms of road network during the Christmas period.

Meanwhile the Mayor of Clare, Councillor Tony Mulcahy, called on residents to ensure elderly neighbours are kept warm and have enough food during the cold weather.

“Older people, particularly those living in isolated areas, are more vulnerable during colder spells of weather,” he said.

“Those who are elderly and living alone should be checked on by neighbours, morning and evening.

“Practical help can be given by bringing in solid fuel, ensuring the water supply is sufficient and checking that there is sufficient food in the house, including non-perishable foods.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I genuinely feel for you Chicken Run :( Nothing worse than an intense headache.
    :)

Broken wrist?? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I should have stayed where i was.

Just got a message from the place in Kerry where I stayed for the last few days and its after getting a pasting. It hasn't stopped snowing there since this morning. A lot to be said for being on higher ground at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

watching this game, it's clear aquilani is too easily knocked off the ball/dispossessed, neither does he have the passing ability of alonso, and given he is prone to injury, and the premier league is far more physical than the italian league, what the hell was rafa thinking in buying him.:confused:

oops wrong forum:p

it's still raining here with bit of sleet mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Hi

Are we using this site anymore for forecasting?? haven't noticed it mentioned recently, however thread so large might have missed it but check it out

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

There may be hope for beyond the snow shield ;) (lol still not sure what that is but cannot find post where it was mentioned)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

leahyl wrote: »
    No you don't - it'll end in tears Wolfe mark my words!!:D

stay on here with us!!

Watching pool lately is like wishing for snow! :rolleyes:

Anyway, bitter cold here and icey!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

watching this game, it's clear aquilani is too easily knocked off the ball/dispossessed, neither does he have the passing ability of alonso, and given he is prone to injury, and the premier league is far more physical than the italian league, what the hell was rafa thinking in buying him.:confused:

oops wrong forum:p

it's still raining here with bit of sleet mixed in.

LOL! Rafa out!

Ok back to weather - and it is bone dry in Cork....absolutely nothing to speak of really:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement