Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

channaigh wrote: »
    ny chance of snow hitting kilkenny we never get snow

It does, you just live in the wrong part ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

0.9c here ATM. Just on the right side of marginal for snow.

Just went to Lidl to stock up on supplies. Looks like there is a high risk of us being stuck here for a few days!!

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Alessandra wrote: »
    I don't know why some people are hoping for snow. It really is not enjoyable with the freezing temperatures and icy roads which have left many of us housebound this past week.

I'd take cold any day over mild muck.
    The mild muck rainy weather is depressing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

I don't know why some people are hoping for snow. It really is not enjoyable with the freezing temperatures and icy roads which have left many of us housebound this past week.
    Sorry im actually stuck at home with stupid ice on roads. Dunno why i said whoo

arctictree wrote: »

Just went to Lidl to stock up on supplies. Looks like there is a high risk of us being stuck here for a few days!!

A
    Hope you got camera batteries and the last of the sale generators at aldi.
    In the jan 82 blizzard we lost power for 3 days because the snow froze 3 inches thick on the powerlines snapping them off! And we're by the sea!

SE breeze starting here btw rising the temps as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Well it's a lot easier to drive on snow than on ice, your tires get more traction on snow. So snow is the next best thing to a thaw if you you're stuck because of ice on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I'd take cold any day over mild muck.
    The mild muck rainy weather is depressing tbh

At least when it's drizzling you can get in your car and go shopping and your water pipes aren't freezing and your life isn't in your hands ever time you hit the road. I have heard of so many minor accidents in the area and some quite serious ones where people have had spinal injuries. Others have ended up in A&E after falls on the ice. Snow is not worth the hassle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

My own grandmother is pretty much home bound in West Clare at the moment with the compacted ice on the roads, which hasn't thawed in nine days now!

The only way to travel on the back roads around there is by tractor. First time ever she has had to miss Christmas day mass, which says something about the current weather I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

arctictree wrote: »

A

Christ yeah forgot about yous up there - well send out a flare every now & then to let us know your ok :D:D

i remember being snowed in up there aboyt 12 years ago - NOT FUNNY !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Hope you got camera batteries and the last of the sale generators at aldi.
    In the jan 82 blizzard we lost power for 3 days because the snow froze 3 inches thick on the powerlines snapping them off! And we're by the sea!

SE breeze starting here btw rising the temps as expected.

Whens this snow suppose to reach here?

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    Well it's a lot easier to drive on snow than on ice, your tires get more traction on snow. So snow is the next best thing to a thaw if you you're stuck because of ice on the roads.

Got caught in a snow storm last year & came off the N11. the fecking CIE bus pulled in - he thought I was waiting on the bus to arrive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was waiting for the new car to be pulled out of the ditch :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

owenc wrote: »

C'mon, you've already been warned about annoying posts. Please follow the thread before posting.

how long yous think this cold spell will last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

that front is building in intensity. it will sit there or move very slowly northwards over the next 6hrs as it continues to intensify. just look at the intense precip colours already.

People should realise that intense precip does often result in snowfall. Have experienced it many times whereby rain/sleet has turned to snow due to the intensity of the precipitation.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

on a seperate note, temps have not budged here all day. there is now a stiff easterly breeze and it has not had any effect on the temp - stuck between minus 0.5 and 0c now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

at this rate it will be july or possibly august

At least when it's drizzling you can get in your car and go shopping and your water pipes aren't freezing and your life isn't in your hands ever time you hit the road. I have heard of so many minor accidents in the area and some quite serious ones where people have had spinal injuries. Others have ended up in A&E after falls on the ice. Snow is not worth the hassle.

Where abouts in ni do you live my grandmas pipes are frozen too three times now and we are colder than them!

MUSEIST wrote: »
    at this rate it will be july or possibly august

haha by then the rain will have fizzled out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Where abouts in ni do you live my grandmas pipes are frozen too three times now and we are colder than them!

I'm on the Mayo/Roscommon border. Home from UK for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Approximately 5 minutes after 5 minutes before it does (or doesn't)

I'm on the Mayo/Roscommon border. Home from UK for Christmas.

Ok sorry thought you lived in ni because you had uk written in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Will be interesting to see what happens to DP in the southern stations on IWN.
    Annamoe is sub zero, i wonder if that will rise significantly in the precip, am starting to get a little concerned we are going to be obliterated looking at the 12z here.
    The precip is moving, looking at the IR images it is clearly making progress.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see what happens to DP in the southern stations on IWN.
    Annamoe is sub zero, i wonder if that will rise significantly in the precip, am starting to get a little concerned we are going to be obliterated looking at the 12z here.

Super- your dangling the carrot now cmon.... spill - what you seeing ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

just drove to from sligo to galway, fields all white the whole way down, lots of people have problems with frozin pipes.

i wont ask will it snow, but i am tempted to buy a snow board, could do with some practice,

given the chance of a real event here,

should RTE not get off the blocsks and issue a real warning,

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

Just cant see us (Kildare - Leixlip) getting any snow this time round either. Following these threads for the past couple of weeks and always seem to be in the wrong part of the country when these snow events take place. Still keeping the fingers crossed though !. Hopefully my luck changes this time round:D

is this the start of ice age 2 :-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 devais

Snow has'nt melted here in Co. Longford since it fell a week ago and its starting to lose its charm!! My mother has'nt had any water in 5 days due to frozen pipes - have asked numerous people for advice on fixing it but have been told its a waiting game so the news that the weather is'nt going to improve is'nt going to go down too well :eek:!

Anyone with any tips on how to defrost water pipes:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

gally74 wrote: »

should RTE not get off the blocsks and issue a real warning,
    a definite yes. I have no doubt they will before 9pm. Looking at that band again, it extends westwards more than i thought it would.

these charts indicate snowfall for south and southwest at midday tomorrow

09122912_2812.gif

pretty similar picture at 6pm
    09122918_2812.gif
    more widespread snow at midnight tomorrow
    09123000_2812.gif
    6am same again
    09123006_2812.gif

I have found these charts to be spot on over the past two weeks. Met Eireann must consider issuing a severe weather alert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

devais wrote: »
    Snow has'nt melted here in Co. Longford since it fell a week ago and its starting to lose its charm!! My mother has'nt had any water in 5 days due to frozen pipes - have asked numerous people for advice on fixing it but have been told its a waiting game so the news that the weather is'nt going to improve is'nt going to go down too well :eek:!

Anyone with any tips on how to defrost water pipes:confused:

Big issue you have is the likelihood of the pipes being burst, when the water expands as it freezes it has a tendency to burst the pipe . . . and you will only realize that the pipe is burst once it begins to thaw. Something you would want to keep a close eye on, thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Lads and lassies im calling widespread disruption over the next few days for sure.
    Lets bite the bullet.

We are going to be locked in a deep freeze with those north easterlies with the east bearing the brunt of heavy prolonged snow showers and im not including the very strong potential for a whiteout tomorrow sometime.

All high ground folk are in bother in my view.

98954_oswego3.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGHEgd8BSDA8YPt4cgYUo4f2NRYuQ

N B. This post carries a health warning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

mono_mac wrote: »
    how long yous think this cold spell will last

With the models constantly upgrading it could last the whole of january. I kid you not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement