Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

EAGLE " Im not saying it will definetly happen but thats the theory.....all conditions are right for it". Wow he was optimistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

F-Stop wrote: »
    Eagle eyes?

ABBA: "Eagle"

Song almost seems to be about John Eagleton's forecasts! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well, as I'm probably the one person who posts here never to have seen the Eagle, I was looking forward to viewing the RTE feed posted earlier, but was informed that as I live outside the country I am out of luck.

Oh well, I knew that anyway. :D

My general analysis points to increasing chances for snow in the mix, as the low is now occluding out fairly quickly and the more active energy centre will shift over to northeastern France overnight, but with some moisture and circulation left in the dying (and eventually retreating) primary low, temps at all levels will fall a degree or two and this will shift the balance towards snow, not everywhere though, but I would think for the central and western counties this should make snow more likely. Then by late Wednesday, even colder air starts to work into this dying circulation and should add the element of sea effect which will also have mixing issues but as the flow seems to be coming from already-very-cold Scotland, I expect that it will have a pretty good head start to cross the warmish sea and get to the Dublin area still with a good chance to drop snow at least away from the immediate coast. These sea-effect streamers sometimes drag along air warmed up to 4-6 C but can't move it very far past the coast before the land environment chills the column back to 1-2 C, hence you get these situations where it's raining at the coast, sleeting about a mile inland and snowing another mile past that, even without much elevation change.

When you have those dynamics you also have good conditions for thunder and lightning to develop (this for Thursday morning).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

still howling wind and lashing rain here, if all this precipitation had of been snow we'd be up to our knees, thursday/friday and into next week look good for some of the white stuff here in the east coast are even at lower levels though

I doubt it. The Irish sea from the east has been dryer than Dave Allen drinking Blackthorn on the surface of the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Well, as I'm probably the one person who posts here never to have seen the Eagle, I was looking forward to viewing the RTE feed posted earlier, but was informed that as I live outside the country I am out of luck.

Maybe someone could send you the FLV file via email?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

My general analysis points to increasing chances for snow in the mix, as the low is now occluding out fairly quickly and the more active energy centre will shift over to northeastern France overnight, but with some moisture and circulation left in the dying (and eventually retreating) primary low, temps at all levels will fall a degree or two and this will shift the balance towards snow, not everywhere though, but I would think for the central and western counties this should make snow more likely. Then by late Wednesday, even colder air starts to work into this dying circulation and should add the element of sea effect which will also have mixing issues but as the flow seems to be coming from already-very-cold Scotland, I expect that it will have a pretty good head start to cross the warmish sea and get to the Dublin area still with a good chance to drop snow at least away from the immediate coast. These sea-effect streamers sometimes drag along air warmed up to 4-6 C but can't move it very far past the coast before the land environment chills the column back to 1-2 C, hence you get these situations where it's raining at the coast, sleeting about a mile inland and snowing another mile past that, even without much elevation change.

When you have those dynamics you also have good conditions for thunder and lightning to develop (this for Thursday morning).

Thanks M.T great to have your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

leahyl wrote: »
    Did he say SNOW SNOW SNOW???!! Can't watch it due to the match watching in my house:rolleyes:

Did he what:eek: :D:D:D

Still snowing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Tactical wrote: »
    Did he what:eek: :D:D:D

Still snowing :p

he said all the factors were in place for snow but it might not happen so don't be surprised either way! this band seems to be slipping south ever so slightly - we need it in cork to sink down a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

one point I would like to pick up on that the Eagle made. he said everywhere was around 2C at this stage. this is not true and in fact temps have risen on the east coast from 3C to 4C in the last 2 hours. so he is somewhat out of touch on the temps. its a live broadcast after all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

woohoo!! SCORE! Munsterlegend you were right;)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Torres!

god this night just gets better and better - snow is coming, liverpool win a game, whatever next!;)

woohoo!! SCORE! Munsterlegend you were right;)!

now if only i could predict snow and had backed liverpool to do it!
    villa are average - spurs, man city and liverpool for last champions league spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

I do not care what eagles eyes said on the 9 O' Clock news, there will be no snow of any significance tonight except on high ground around Wicklow and Dublin mountains as per usual. They always get it very bad, worse than any other region. I was there last years when there were metres of snow with people skiing. Military road was cut off for nearly a week with 9- 12 foot drifts. I have the pictures if you would like to see them. The best chance we will have of any snow on the Leinster coast will be on Thursday and it will snow then. The sleet/snow that has fallen this evening in the West and South is sleety and wet. Kerry, Clare and Limerick etc :Drarely get snow and when they do it is always wet and slushy.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

god this night just gets better and better - snow is coming, liverpool win a game, whatever next!;)

If I was female I'd have his babies!

Snow is definitely happening now!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

now if only i could predict snow and had backed liverpool to do it!
    villa are average - spurs, man city and liverpool for last champions league spot.

You know the only reason they won was because Babel came on in the second half - he has a presence that inspires confidence in the others!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What a finish by Torres. nine times out of 10 he'll score when in that position. now if it would only snow:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I really hope you are right!! Fingers crossed for no snow..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

ffarrell wrote: »
    I do not care what eagles eyes said on the 9 O' Clock news, there will be no snow of any significance tonight except on high ground around Wicklow and Dublin mountains as per usual. They always get it very bad, worse than any other region. I was there last years when there were metres of snow with people skiing. Military road was cut off for nearly a week with 9- 12 foot drifts. I have the pictures if you would like to see them. The best chance we will have of any snow on the Leinster coast will be on Thursday and it will snow then. The sleet/snow that has fallen this evening in the West and South is sleety and wet. Kerry, Clare and Limerick etc :Drarely get snow and when they do it is always wet and slushy.:o

Interesting forecast based on the past :rolleyes:

You know the only reason they won was because Babel came on in the second half - he has a presence that inspires confidence in the others!:D

yes you called it right for babel to come on solely for football reasons! as for snow i can't see it happening its actually got a degree or two milder from earlier per my car thermometre - 1.5 up to 3.5.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    If I was female I'd have his babies!

Snow is definitely happening now!

NO no no Gerrard! Torres is a pretty boy!

Weather update: no snow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

just been out to feed the animals and still sleety here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

No snow, No rain, no nothing here :(

yes you called it right for babel to come on solely for football reasons! as for snow i can't see it happening its actually got a degree or two milder from earlier per my car thermometre - 1.5 up to 3.5.

Ya i can only talk from opening my bedroom window and it doesn't feel that terribly cold tbh:(

Rougies wrote: »
    Interesting forecast based on the past :rolleyes:

It was only February 2009. There was heavy snow all over Dublin and the airport was closed twice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

6 inches & still snowing

ch750536 wrote: »
    6 inches & still snowing

Snow in Abbeyfeale?!!:D? a little maybe but six inches??? You need to go to specsavers!

ffarrell wrote: »
    Snow in Abbeyfeale?!!:D? a little maybe but six inches??? You need to go to specsavers!

Ya i was thinking 6 inches sounded like a lot alrite:confused:!

what i want to know did john1994 get any snow in limerick? when is he due back anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Update from 120m asl West Limerick.

Snow that has been falling since around 7pm has once again turned to sleet and the rain drops are damaging my precious snow.

Make the rain stop :mad:

Roads are very slushy but no signs of a freeze.

I'm thinking that if the current conditions keep up it won't be white in the morning. Oh well, at least I got to go out in it for a few minutes and throw a snowball or two :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement