Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

What a finish by Torres. nine times out of 10 he'll score when in that position. now if it would only snow:cool:

You turned your back on snow Nacho Libre for a football match. Yooooooou traitor*

*to be spoken slowly and portentously :D

A quick look back at the set up this day last year:

100235.png

Anticyclonic SE breeze over Ireland.

Same time, one year later:
    100236.png

Lower pressure over Ireland in classic battleground territory. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

what i want to know did john1994 get any snow in limerick? when is he due back anyway?

Oh jesus don't encourage him....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

leahyl wrote: »
    Ya i was thinking 6 inches sounded like a lot alrite:confused:!

Note the height. Has been snowing since 9am non stop.

Set up a timelapse last night, will have that for you at the end of all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Ya i can only talk from opening my bedroom window and it doesn't feel that terribly cold tbh:(

Unfortunately there will not be any snow in Cork City. It just does not snow there as we know and there is nothing on the way to suggest otherwise.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Well, as I'm probably the one person who posts here never to have seen the Eagle, I was looking forward to viewing the RTE feed posted earlier, but was informed that as I live outside the country I am out of luck.

Oh well, I knew that anyway. :D

My general analysis points to increasing chances for snow in the mix, as the low is now occluding out fairly quickly and the more active energy centre will shift over to northeastern France overnight, but with some moisture and circulation left in the dying (and eventually retreating) primary low, temps at all levels will fall a degree or two and this will shift the balance towards snow, not everywhere though, but I would think for the central and western counties this should make snow more likely. Then by late Wednesday, even colder air starts to work into this dying circulation and should add the element of sea effect which will also have mixing issues but as the flow seems to be coming from already-very-cold Scotland, I expect that it will have a pretty good head start to cross the warmish sea and get to the Dublin area still with a good chance to drop snow at least away from the immediate coast. These sea-effect streamers sometimes drag along air warmed up to 4-6 C but can't move it very far past the coast before the land environment chills the column back to 1-2 C, hence you get these situations where it's raining at the coast, sleeting about a mile inland and snowing another mile past that, even without much elevation change.

When you have those dynamics you also have good conditions for thunder and lightning to develop (this for Thursday morning).

Quailty isn't the best as i ripped it off the live feed earlier but here's a copy of the six one forecast from the eagle MTC:)
    ovh9.fae.ro/0001.avi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

ch750536 wrote: »
    6 inches & still snowing

lucky thing, feeling ever so jealous, still waiting on that magic moment like Feb 09 when the loveliest of white stuff fell from the sky and snowmen appeared like mushrooms in our estate. Instead we have had the bumpiest, dangerous icerink for the past number of weeks... :( still like that its white stuff but it could try harder..lol

Can anyone tell me how far north west the band being discussed will push? will it come as far as North Leitrim do ye think?

Checked out window too and warmer night here, plenty of melt happening and it rained kind of sleetly rain earlier but it melted almost right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Great idea! Can't wait to see it :)

Although the way things are looking we'll be waiting a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

ffarrell wrote: »
    Snow in Abbeyfeale?!!:D? a little maybe but six inches??? You need to go to specsavers!

Easily, if he's outside the town, especially on the hills in places like Knocknasna, Mountcollins, Tournafulla, Athea, Ardagh i.e. areas that make up the Mullaghareirk mountains.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Unfortunately there will not be any snow in Cork City. It just does not snow there as we know and there is nothing on the way to suggest otherwise.:mad:

why don't you just tell leahyl about santa altogether - just as crushing a blow.

em ....ok....relax!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Really looking forward to the timelapse :)

Send some of the snow to Cork ('cause if Leahyl doesn't get snow soon I fear she may burst) and also some a little to the northeast up to me :D

Seriously though, I hope things improve for you at that altitude. Are you staying at a lower altiude for another night or is your water still frozen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

yr.no still seems to think the Dublin area will get absolutely 0 precip in the 48 period over Thursday and Friday, and that tomorrow will be the same as today, ie warm and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Light rain with an occasional flake of snow, rather than proper sleet, in Maynooth now. 3.3C, up from 2.9C about an hour ago.

It's been horrible all day, wind and rain. And whatever direction the wind is in, our chimney didn't like it at all - took me AGES to get the fire going.

why don't you just tell leahyl about santa altogether - just as crushing a blow.

what about Santa???:(......:p!!

Have just come back from Dublin airport where it was 3 degrees but now it is 2 degrees in West Dublin and still loads of sleety rain but no snow!:mad:

Have just come back from Dublin airport where it was 3 degrees but now it is 2 degrees in West Dublin and still loads of sleety rain but no snow!:mad:

It appears that Cork isn't the only place that doesn't get snow.....:rolleyes:!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Tactical wrote: »
    Really looking forward to the timelapse :)

Send some of the snow to Cork ('cause if Leahyl doesn't get snow soon I fear she may burst) and also some a little to the northeast up to me :D

Seriously though, I hope things improve for you at that altitude. Are you staying at a lower altiude for another night or is your water still frozen?

We were to stay with rellies down the road but was not possible in the end. We're without water (& therefore heating) & apparently will be for a few days. The snow is drifting so I'm pretty sure the roads are impassable.

On the plus side being a geek means I stocked up for 4 days worth of food & water, bought a gas & electric fire, spare gas bottles, torches & batteries.

I bought 5 buckets which are full of melting snow, perfect for washing dishes, flushing loos etc and the kids have an extra duvet each that I bought.

All on the back of boards forecasting.

The guy down the road who watches RTE for weather is freezing his knackers off.
    :P

right back at him! what the weather like in cork city?(trying to keep on theme as i wait for this system to move slowly south)!

A few days ago yes but none now. Lots last February though all over the city and county and mor eto come as Eagles eyes said on Thursday on Friday. You should move up here to see it!:D

right back at him! what the weather like in cork city?(trying to keep on theme as i wait for this system to move slowly south)!

cool, crisp, dry....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You should move up here to see it!:D

It's not there yet!! :D:p Time will tell....

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Snow in Abbeyfeale?!!:D? a little maybe but six inches??? You need to go to specsavers!

The lad lives at 850ft , his eyesight is probably perfect ;),im at a lower altitude and it has snowed here all day , snow level here is over 4ins , i may post a vid/pic later to prove it .

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

I want this

imagesprotest_small.jpg

kerry1960 wrote: »
    The lad lives at 1000ft , his eyesight is probably perfect ;),im at a lower altitude and it has snowed here all day , snow level here is over 4ins , i may post a vid/pic later to prove it .

I can't believe it has snowed that much - amazing stuff! Looking foward to seeing pics;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You turned your back on snow Nacho Libre for a football match. Yooooooou traitor*

*to be spoken slowly and portentously :D

A quick look back at the set up this day last year:

100235.png

Anticyclonic SE breeze over Ireland.

Same time, one year later:
    100236.png

Lower pressure over Ireland in classic battleground territory. :)

i had to paddy1 for my sanity:( incessant watching of the lampost was making me hear voices, they were, in mocking tones, telling me it was snowing heavily in tuam:p) i just could not take it anymore

i just hope the snow doesn't try to get me back:( :D
    with that thought in mind, we could be looking back in years to come at the charts for the end of 2009 and into the early days of 2010. here's hoping anyway!!

Snoddy wrote: »
    I want this

imagesprotest_small.jpg

Now THAT'S what I'M talking about!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Jeez, some very negative comments on the forum about Mr. Eagleton. I don't take what he says literally, I mean it would be obvious that not *everywhere* in Ireland is at 2 celcius. It's perhaps the mean and modal temperature and is the best representation of the state of play. He's not there to give the detailed thought process behind his forecasts. He wouldn't be anything near a senior forecaster if he literally meant every word he said.

I still think he's been right with the core of his forecast as it stands. I haven't heard of any snow reports yet from lower areas. And there's no time that he ruled out lower level snow today anyway. He made several inferences to how unlikely it was going to be, and that there would be a more significant threat of snow along the Leinster coast on Thursday. Wednesday is where the dispute mainly is, so it's all to play for over the next 18 hours.

Besides, if there is a lot of low level snow on the east coast tonight/tomorrow, and the Eagle is wrong... Well all I'll say is that I'll laugh if a certain housing estate in Drogheda gets inundated with snow and the small hill leading to the estate is too icy/snowy to drive up.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Bloody hell watched the RTE forecast what a joke.It may/may not snow we cant really tell sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt in these conditions in a stuttering voice.Wouldnt like to be depending on them for the forecasts...BBC all the way.

It's not there yet!! :D:p Time will tell....

if we wanted to travel for snow we'd hardly go to dublin - i'd say scandanavia might be a little better. anyway i hope it does snow in dublin for the contributors here and also that there is a nationwide event to keep everyone happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

hey guys it has been sleety rain all day, im in limerick, is there any sign of snow coming this way tonight, thanks anthony

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement