Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options
1383940414244»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

if we wanted to travel for snow we'd hardly go to dublin - i'd say scandanavia might be a little better.

EXACTLY! I went to Dublin in early December - that's enough to last me for a few years:p (kidding!) Hope it snows for everyone....;)!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

rovers2001 wrote: »
    Bloody hell watched the RTE forecast what a joke.It may/may not snow we cant really tell sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt in these conditions in a stuttering voice.Wouldnt like to be depending on them for the forecasts...BBC all the way.

I think anyone with even the smallest amount of weather knowledge would know exactly what John Eagleton was talking about. This is a very complicated set up synoptically, and coupled with the huge range of geographical positions in Ireland, it is near impossible to call. I think J.E did quite well to generalize the situation, which is his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

Well its pissed rain all day in leixlip and i dont see it getting any colder for snow to arrive. Glad to see some low level areas seeing snow today but still cant get how Tipp,Limerick etc get snow and Kildare/Dublin dont. Very dissappointed to say the least:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

i had to paddy1 for my sanity:( incessant watching of the lampost was making me hear voices, they were, in mocking tones, telling me it was snowing heavily in tuam:p) i just could not take it anymore

:D
    Don't worry on that score Nacho. Continuous drizzle here with not even a hint of a flake all day.

My day will come though, and when it does, I shall ascend all! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

leahyl wrote: »
    I can't believe it has snowed that much - amazing stuff! Looking foward to seeing pics;)!

Only have a videocamera with no flash to take pics with...

Kitchen window (snow cleared a few times )
    100240.JPG

I love snow so much I keep it for later in buckets.
    100241.JPG

Porch door, protected by the car about 2 feet away,
    100242.JPG

Sorry, but thats the best I can do till I get some light.

• Advertisement

ch750536 wrote: »
    Only have a videocamera with no flash to take pics with...

Kitchen window (snow cleared a few times )
    100240.JPG

I love snow so much I keep it for later in buckets.
    100241.JPG

Porch door, protected by the car about 2 feet away,
    100242.JPG

Sorry, but thats the best I can do till I get some light.

Thanks ch! That porch one is brilliant!! The snow looks really deep!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Jeez, some very negative comments on the forum about Mr. Eagleton. I don't take what he says literally, I mean it would be obvious that not *everywhere* in Ireland is at 2 celcius. It's perhaps the mean and modal temperature and is the best representation of the state of play. He's not there to give the detailed thought process behind his forecasts. He wouldn't be anything near a senior forecaster if he literally meant every word he said.

I still think he's been right with the core of his forecast as it stands. I haven't heard of any snow reports yet from lower areas. And there's no time that he ruled out lower level snow today anyway.
    up.:P

there was snow in galway and at some other lower levels today, but most of the reports were from people living on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Want to leave footprints in the snow too. :D Just seems windy and rainy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think anyone with even the smallest amount of weather knowledge would know exactly what John Eagleton was talking about. This is a very complicated set up synoptically, and coupled with the huge range of geographical positions in Ireland, it is near impossible to call. I think J.E did quite well to generalize the situation, which is his job.

well-said paddy1. he did a good job and he even had the humility to admit that he sometimes gets it wrong. you don't hear many other forecasters doing that.

well-said paddy1. he did a good job and he even had the humility to admit that he sometimes gets it wrong. you don't hear many other forecasters doing that.

Ya that's what i like about John Eagleton - he says it like it is! At least he doesn't say "no it absolutely isn't going to snow" and then you get a blizzard! well maybe that's a slight exaggeration although....the name Michael Fish comes to mind....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

1300 posts reached. Should a new thread be started for tomorrow's weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Here are some vid links for local conditions today ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqj-Q8Gi1Dc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veiql34PUZo

this around 6pm , heavy snow has continued since ;).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00jL4zwZpzk

L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

100244.jpg

If we increase the brightness a bit we may see something...........Gary??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Put the headlights on the car.

Again, protected by the car etc, not the side facing the snow.
    100243.JPG

Sticking to vertical walls, more impressive on the side facing the snow but no light there.
    100245.JPG

Sorry about the poor quality, not a low light cam at all.

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Here are some vid links for local conditions today ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqj-Q8Gi1Dc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veiql34PUZo

this around 6pm , heavy snow has continued since ;).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00jL4zwZpzk

L
    Excelent Kerry!
    Aren't you driving a bit fast or is it the mrs thats behind the wheel :p

Thats pretty similar to what I saw up in Aughavanagh co wicklow today :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement