Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    I have found these charts to be spot on over the past two weeks. If these scenarios materialise then Met Eireann must consider issuing a severe weather alert.

Maybe they should consider issuing a severe weather alert before these scenarios materialise ?:pac:

Dewpoint here is now running 2.5c roughly below the air temp which means even if the airtype was to stay the same,then at 2c we'd have a minus dewpoint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

redsunset wrote: »
    Lads and lassies im calling widespread disruption over the next few days for sure.
    Lets bite the bullet.

We are going to be locked in a deep freeze with those north easterlies with the east bearing the brunt of heavy prolonged snow showers and im not including the very strong potential for a whiteout tomorrow sometime.

All high ground folk are in bother in my view.

98954_oswego3.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGHEgd8BSDA8YPt4cgYUo4f2NRYuQ

N B. This post carries a health warning

i really do not think we are going to get any snow that deep particualry for here!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

How do these charts look for cork airport wednesday morning???
    Have an important business meeting that i can't miss in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

MUSEIST wrote: »
    PLease, no one else ask if its going to snow at their location, please dont ask.

I beg you kindly, PLEASE:rolleyes:

but i really want to know Museist, will it snow in Tipperary:p

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

keep checking this and if you see the colour changing from blue to red over your location start opening the champers. sorry to all the snow haters who are shaking their heads' collectively in bemusement:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

redsunset wrote: »
    Lads and lassies im calling widespread disruption over the next few days for sure.
    Lets bite the bullet.

We are going to be locked in a deep freeze with those north easterlies with the east bearing the brunt of heavy prolonged snow showers and im not including the very strong potential for a whiteout tomorrow sometime.

All high ground folk are in bother in my view.

N B. This post carries a health warning

i second that red. We are in for a major snow event. models will not change too dramatically at this stage to effect the inevitable. The only thing that is likely to alter is the amount of precipitation but at this stage it looks like we could be seeing 10-20cm of snow where the front stalls.

Watch the Six One news for signs of this event. Met Eireann cannot afford to ignore the scale of a problem that is now just hours away from starting.

In meteorlogical terms, this is close on a perfect storm for snow in Ireland. On a human level, it's bad news for those already suffering from the cold. Ageaction ireland and hse websites has some tips that people should look at.

28 December 2009 16:19

Today

Dry and cold this evening and any patches of mist and fog will clear in the freshening easterly winds.
    Tonight

It will stay dry tonight in the midlands, west and north of the country, with a sharp or severe frost and lowest temperatures of zero to minus 5 degrees. Rain will reach the south coast by early night and will gradually spread overnight to much of Munster and south Leinster. The rain may turn to sleet or snow in places inland, most likely over high ground. Lowest temperatures here will range between plus 2 and 6 degrees.

Tomorrow

Persistent and often heavy rain tomorrow in coastal counties of the south and southeast. Occasional outbreaks of rain and sleet elsewhere, with a risk of snow in places. However, the north and northwest will stay mainly dry. Highest temperatures will range between 1 and 6 degrees, but it will feel cold everywhere in a fresh to strong easterly wind.

@ gihj

Hard to call.
    Cork airport has height so might have snow.
    I'd say you'll be ok though and it will still be sleety rain there at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Blimey what changed so much in 7 hours ?. I checked yr.no & metcheck at 11am today & both were showing sun for Galway Tues & Wed with no precip. Now it is totally different with sleet on both days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I know, I know, but they need to learn that themselves, and nothing we say or do can change the weather.

Or how they feel either.

Iced in up here since ??? Lost track! Before Christmas anyways. Sheesh losing track of time here ;) Is it two weeks now? Must be...

The one time I tried to get out the car stuck in the lane and it took 4 men to get it back again.

It too will pass.

Sometime..

Hard for you on holiday though.
    Alessandra wrote: »
    I don't know why some people are hoping for snow. It really is not enjoyable with the freezing temperatures and icy roads which have left many of us housebound this past week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Sky news long range forecast today shows a pasting for the east coast, dublin to wexford and some inland for thurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just watching BBC News 24 and they're warning of 10-15 cm accumulations across mid Wales and the midlands of the UK as the front moves up and meets the cold air to the north.

Graphics showed rain turning to snow across that part of the UK, but also showed the same thing happening roughly along the line of the N24 (basically a line from Limerick to Waterford).

I love my snow, but I wish this could only have happened over Christmas rather than now. I've to work tomorrow and then on Wednesday we're heading to Mayo for the New Year's period. This could seriously bugger up our plans. :mad:

Getting chillier here in east Waterford now, after not too cold a day. No sign of any precip yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

owenc wrote: »
    i really do not think we are going to get any snow that deep particualry for here!

Seriously man are you 10 or what.
    your smart little comments and constant immaturatey are not becoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Sky news long range forecast today shows a pasting for the east coast, dublin to wexford and some inland for thurs.

Any chance of a link Elmo or was it on the box??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

coastal regions are an awkward one to call right now. I can understand that Kilkenny/Offaly/Tipperary are likely eventualities for snow, but I can't really call the event in Wicklow/Dublin. Naturally the mountains will be blanketed but what about where most people live and work, beside the coast??

I still expect that dublin city will not really be affected by this, as coastal areas can't win out in a marginal situation for Ireland. Though I live at the 500ft level, so perhaps that might make the critical difference for here...

Does anyone have HIRLAM chart links?

The models are gunning for Wednesday night snowfall across the East and South, but it's hard to call by models too. Radar and Satellite will be our main guide.

May miss us yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Hirlam (Nedbor)
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm
    coastal regions are an awkward one to call right now. I can understand that Kilkenny/Offaly/Tipperary are likely eventualities for snow, but I can't really call the event in Wicklow/Dublin. Naturally the mountains will be blanketed but what about where most people live and work, beside the coast??

I still expect that dublin city will not really be affected by this, as coastal areas can't win out in a marginal situation for Ireland. Though I live at the 500ft level, so perhaps that might make the critical difference for here...

Does anyone have HIRLAM chart links?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Hope you got camera batteries and the last of the sale generators at aldi.
    In the jan 82 blizzard we lost power for 3 days because the snow froze 3 inches thick on the powerlines snapping them off! And we're by the sea!

SE breeze starting here btw rising the temps as expected.

We have a wood stove here which keeps the house warm and can be used for cooking, so lack of lecky should not be too big a problem!

Also, after the snowstorm of 2001, the ESB installed high tension wires around here. They can cope with snowfall as they are spring loaded on either end. We have not had a powercut during snow since. Before that, we were always losing power during snow.

BTW - For anyone fearful of losing power or water. You should keep a small trickle going on your outside tap and keep the heating going all night with the boiler on as low a temperature as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Running out of wood pellets here already and we haven't seen a flake of snow yet !! Thanks God I have a pile of seaoned hardwood under cover for the pending event...... Please please snow......

re the HSE sites

http://www.cardi.ie/?q=news/hsecallsonpeopleto%E2%80%9Ckeepwarmkeepwell%E2%80%9Dthiswinter

NB many of these urls are NI. but it is the same here

I have been trying to get payment of Solid Fuel and Electricity etc for some weeks and in the case of Sold Fuel, for months.

They said the Solid Fuel was being paid...nothing has come through.

They are backed up with applications?

Takes so much time .... And it is vital to the old and disabled.

All the advice in the world is to no avail if there is not the money for fuel.

And for so many of us, there is not.

Sorry; an old soap box of mine as I sometimes involve in Welfare Rights advocacy work, apart from my own needs.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    i second that red. We are in for a major snow event. models will not change too dramatically at this stage to effect the inevitable. The only thing that is likely to alter is the amount of precipitation but at this stage it looks like we could be seeing 10-20cm of snow where the front stalls.

Watch the Six One news for signs of this event. Met Eireann cannot afford to ignore the scale of a problem that is now just hours away from starting.

In meteorlogical terms, this is close on a perfect storm for snow in Ireland. On a human level, it's bad news for those already suffering from the cold. Ageaction ireland and hse websites has some tips that people should look at.

28 December 2009 16:19

Today

Dry and cold this evening and any patches of mist and fog will clear in the freshening easterly winds.
    Tonight

It will stay dry tonight in the midlands, west and north of the country, with a sharp or severe frost and lowest temperatures of zero to minus 5 degrees. Rain will reach the south coast by early night and will gradually spread overnight to much of Munster and south Leinster. The rain may turn to sleet or snow in places inland, most likely over high ground. Lowest temperatures here will range between plus 2 and 6 degrees.

Tomorrow

Persistent and often heavy rain tomorrow in coastal counties of the south and southeast. Occasional outbreaks of rain and sleet elsewhere, with a risk of snow in places. However, the north and northwest will stay mainly dry. Highest temperatures will range between 1 and 6 degrees, but it will feel cold everywhere in a fresh to strong easterly wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Still no warning there on the RTE weather after news for the deaf. Are we all missing something >>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

jenzz wrote: »
    Any chance of a link Elmo or was it on the box??

It's on the sky active I'm afraid, can't post a link!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Still no warning there on the RTE weather after news for the deaf. Are we all missing something >>

Not even snow mentioned for tomorrow, just rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Min wrote: »
    Not even snow mentioned for tomorrow, just rain.

Ya my dad said he heard on the forecast just rain for the south - not again....all excited and then nothing...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

I think this is a nocast lads. Prepare to be dissappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

showery here in West Cork at the moment.. i want snow god damn it, any chance :rolleyes:

lisao80 wrote: »
    showery here in West Cork at the moment.. i want snow god damn it, any chance :rolleyes:

i would say no Lisao80 by the looks of it....it looks like rain and lots of it....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Did we all get carried away in the moment and the 'what if's' and the 'maybe's' ? Fingers are still crossed in this house anyway.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

That was the european forecast,she avoided doing ours like the plague.

WE're missing nothing.
    There is a high risk ,end of story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

There will be snow.

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »
    There will be snow.

yes but not where i want it....:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement