Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

leahyl wrote: »
    yes but not where i want it....:D

Fair enough but there is hope as the colder air kicks in and moves south/south westwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

lads leinster is looking good for New Years Eve according to the Eagle just now - so good news for ye!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

The Eagle reckons this front will be mostly rain, maybe a bit of sleet.
    Looking good for the east from Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

only rain on the rte weather snow for new years eve maybe back to work wednesday so god damn it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

rain rain and more rain..... feck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

BIG downgrade by RTE.

Snap Leahyl :)

Edit: and channaigh, PistolPete78 and Danno, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Eagle just said there'd be mostly rain tomorrow and temps will be kept above freezing for most of the south. But the low will start to move towards the continent, and NE winds will bring very bitter conditions with showers developing from the Irish Sea around new years. Mostly these showers will bring snow to eastern parts of leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quell surprise. Some peeps round here need to be less tabloid and more realistic/honest about living on a temperate rock in the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The Eagle's made the right call, contrary to what the models might fancifully let us believe. He seems to call short term cold spells the best IMO, and he's saying what is my judgement for much of Ireland. I would still suspect heavy falls of snow in some areas, but these will be limited to patches and parts of counties in the south midlands. Rain and sleet for other areas, much like February this year. Snow if you're Supercell:D

Get ready for Thursday if you live on the East coast.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Quell surpise. Some peeps round here need to be less tabloid and more realistic/honest about living on a temperate rock in the Atlantic.

Wouldn't be much of a forum then would it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Eagle just said there'd be mostly rain tomorrow and temps will be kept above freezing for most of the south. But the low will start to move towards the continent, and NE winds will bring very bitter conditions with showers developing from the Irish Sea around new years. Mostly these showers will bring snow to eastern parts of leinster

Yep, but thats feckin useless for me..

another snowless year methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

leahyl wrote: »
    lads leinster is looking good for New Years Eve according to the Eagle just now - so good news for ye!:D

:D:D:D missed the news, due to nick jnr
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

you people are sad! get over it for feck sake. theres homeless ppl out there u know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

glossy wrote: »
    :D:D:D missed the news, due to nick jnr
    thanks

:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Danno wrote: »
    BIG downgrade by RTE.

They never ramped this up from the start so there sticking with what they orginally forecasted. Think we have to face it that there wil be little snow and mostly rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The forcast is quite simple really and has been the last 5 days. Rain turning to snow in many places before moving away Southward. Snow showers following. No one said there would be snow tomorrow, or certainly I never said it. Wednesday is the day. The charts are right here in front of you.

Rougies wrote: »
    Wouldn't be much of a forum then would it ;)

EXACTLY!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

darkman2 wrote: »
    The forcast is quite simple really and has been the last 5 days. Rain turning to snow in many places before moving away Southward. Snow showers following. No one said there would be snow tomorrow, or certainly I never said it. Wednesday is the day. The charts are right here in front of you.

But the Eagle has just said no snow Wednesday either, maybe some sleet and a bit of the white stuff on high ground. That goes right against what's been said around here.

Big call from the Eagle, when i saw even Black Briar forecasting a likely snowstorm, I didn't expect that from RTE.

Interesting couple of days ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think the Eagle has gotten it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Who's this eagle your mentioning ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

But the Eagle has just said no snow Wednesday either, maybe some sleet and a bit of the white stuff on high ground. That goes right against what's been said around here.

Big call from the Eagle, when i saw even Black Briar forecasting a likely snowstorm, I didn't expect that from RTE.

Interesting couple of days ahead.

This is great fun.
    well i can see snow falling on high ground as i've been saying especially as the front stalls and retreats south east because the colder air will be taking control then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

looking up in the outer hebrides there are showers forming up there extending down south could we get what brought our snow again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

These charts have proven remarkably accurate taking in all the minimum requirements for snowfall. The following areas shaded white are likely to see snow tomorrow.

gfs-2-30.png?12

Some places are in for a surreal 48hrs IMO away from the East Coast and on high ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

digme wrote: »
    Who's this eagle your mentioning ??
    http://www.rte.ie/weather/presenters/eagletonj.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

Does this chart mean anything? Seems to be indicating chance of snow in a lot of parts on New Years Eve???

Bond-007 wrote: »

interesting quote taken from that link:

And what now are John's views on TV Weather Forecasting. 'The most important thing to get right is to make sure the viewer believes and trusts what you say. Your forecast won't always be right but at least people know they are getting the best advice available'

;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The precip-band will begin to turn to snow during tomorrow evening across the northern sections and steadily all the band will turn to snow overnight and into Wednesday.

Granted the precip is likely to stay as sleety stuff along the coast until late tomorrow night.

The Eagle is wrong.

And i will confidently call heavy snow for a large portion of the country beginning tomorrow night and throughout Wednesday.

I'll put my cred on it. And will take defeat graciously.

• Advertisement

The precip-band will begin to turn to snow during tomorrow evening across the northern sections and steadily all the band will turn to snow overnight and into Wednesday.

Granted the precip is likely to stay as sleety stuff along the coast until late tomorrow night.

The Eagle is wrong.

And i will confidently call heavy snow for a large portion of the country beginning tomorrow night and throughout Wednesday.

I'll put my cred on it. And will take defeat graciously.

Brave call. Fair play. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement