Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

No snow tomorrow so. Hopefully we'll get some new year's eve like the eagle predicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The precip-band will begin to turn to snow during tomorrow evening across the northern sections and steadily all the band will turn to snow overnight and into Wednesday.

Granted the precip is likely to stay as sleety stuff along the coast until late tomorrow night.

The Eagle is wrong.

And i will confidently call heavy snow for a large portion of the country beginning tomorrow night and throughout Wednesday.

I'll put my cred on it. And will take defeat graciously.

You GO Weathercheck!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Rougies wrote: »
    interesting quote taken from that link:

And what now are John's views on TV Weather Forecasting. 'The most important thing to get right is to make sure the viewer believes and trusts what you say. Your forecast won't always be right but at least people know they are getting the best advice available'

;):D

wow, you are really scraping the barrel here rougies:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The Eagle is wrong.

Big call my friend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

weathercheck money is on that in de pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Also there are many comments on the thread which are becoming annoying.

Namely ' Will it snow in my back yard ? '

Moany and over reactive posts.

Demanding posts.

Anymore posts like these will result in an infraction/warning and if another is
    posted a 7 day ban. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Feck it - im getting locked tonight - in the hope that it will be too snowey to go to work - To hell with Eagleton - I believe the snow gods will visit Dublin tonight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

MUSEIST wrote: »
    wow, you are really scraping the barrel here rougies:D

I'm just giving hope to the snow lovers in the rest of the country. I'm sitting pretty here in the east ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pauljmr

trogdor wrote: »
    Will it, won't it? Carry on in here lads;)
    sure as hell a stormy spell i can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well my opinions on Met Eireann are well known so I wont add to them
    I will say though that I agree 100% with WC, this looks potent and scary tbh.
    Likely to start as rain, but quickly turn to snow tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pauljmr

malman wrote: »
    No snow tomorrow so. Hopefully we'll get some new year's eve like the eagle predicts.

you can be sure the snow will appear .

What areas in paticular are you talking about here JanuarySnowstor? Is it Leinster you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

leahyl wrote: »
    You GO Weathercheck!!:D

Granted i would'nt be confident about snow in Cork till Wednesday afternoon but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

That front to the south west is moving extremely slowly. surely there is going to be flooding as a result as it doesn't appear to be weakening much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Also there are many comments on the thread which are becoming annoying.

Namely ' Will it snow in my back yard ? '

Moany and over reactive posts.

Demanding posts.

Anymore posts like these will result in an infraction/warning and if another is
    posted a 7 day ban. ;)

You mite want to put a MOD warning on thread title :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Just caught the bbc weather forecast there. They seem pretty confident that the band of rain from the south will readily turn to snow over Southern Ireland. They even had plenty of white on the east coast and dublin area. So who's more reliable in these sceanarios, Met Eireann or the BBC? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

It will be interesting to see when ME change their tune. I can foresee a televised forecast in then ext 6-12 hours which hits the panic buttons... too late for the vast majority to get ready for it in time.

Looks whats happening up here after 8 days of solid ice

http://www.highlandradio.com/2009/12/28/council-announces-planned-reservoir-shutdowns-as-water-problems-persist/

Wow, both JS and WC think it will turn to snow tomorrow night, interesting.
    I dont know who to believe, the met or you guys (who I have great respect for):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Slimity wrote: »
    Just caught the bbc weather forecast there. They seem pretty confident that the band of rain from the south will readily turn to snow over Southern Ireland. They even had plenty of white on the east coast and dublin area. So who's more reliable in these sceanarios, Met Eireann or the BBC? :confused:

I'd go for the BBC and some of the guys on here like MT and Weathercheck etc. are just superb, i don't have any confidence in Met Eireann, they're rarely right and never seem to forecast big events and they constantly chop and change it's hard to know what theyre forecasting, they must get splinters in their arse from all the fence sitting they do

Slimity wrote: »

saw this earlier too and there were big white blobs covering southern ireland! I was wondering the same - who do you trust in these situations - bbc or met eireann?? it's all a guessing game really isn't it?!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Very light sleet in Cork. Between ballincollig and macroom. Now it is light but I can see some swirling flakes in the flood light

GavinH wrote: »
    Very light sleet in Cork. Between ballincollig and macroom. Now it is light but I can see some swirling flakes in the flood light

well if their is sleet in cork there will surely be snow with me, interesting times:D

GavinH wrote: »

oooh a ray of hope in a time of uncertainty lol!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

The precip-band will begin to turn to snow during tomorrow evening across the northern sections and steadily all the band will turn to snow overnight and into Wednesday.

Granted the precip is likely to stay as sleety stuff along the coast until late tomorrow night.

The Eagle is wrong.

And i will confidently call heavy snow for a large portion of the country beginning tomorrow night and throughout Wednesday.

I'll put my cred on it. And will take defeat graciously.

Well my airgead is on WC.... HE IS GOD!

WC for Taoiseach !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

leahyl wrote: »
    saw this earlier too and there were big white blobs covering southern ireland! I was wondering the same - who do you trust in these situations - bbc or met eireann?? it's all a guessing game really isn't it?!;)

Only one answer there, and yes Cork will get snow(pbly disruptive) but it may stay as rain for a lot of tomorrow. Once the wind backs north of east we will get snow as this will eradicate the sea modification.

Tbh I'm glad Met Eireann have gone with a downgrade because it's now firmly most of us, all the models and the beeb against them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Its the BBC Vs Met Eireann, and looking at the bbc looks like there could be a lot of Snow down south, and Met Eireann are saying a lot of Rain:confused:

Only one answer there, and yes Cork will get snow(pbly disruptive) but it may stay as rain for a lot of tomorrow. Once the wind backs north of east we will get snow as this will eradicate the sea modification.

Tbh I'm glad Met Eireann have gone with a downgrade because it's now firmly most of us, all the models and the beeb against them

These sort of comments are filling me with confidence:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Righty, for those of you without sky, this is how they are showing Ireland in the long range forecast for thursday. Wednesday is pretty much rain in a similar but larger area and friday they are saying dry and cold. Tuesday graphic was rain but limited to quite southern counties. Granted these are only midday snapshots.

100119.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Unfortunately it more like rain now as it got heavier.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

There will be alot of rain tomorrow too. Could be some flooding issues esspecially in coastal counties through the day. The snow is mostly for inland areas and high ground. (hope some are not expecting too much) Unlikely Eastern coastal counties at low ground will see snow tomorrow. At most a sleety rainy mess due to the relatively warm Irish Sea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement