Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

redsunset wrote: »
    "We are unlikely to escape a major snowfall event"

Have ye forgotten this wonderful quote from the Eagle
    When did he say that redsunset??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Villain wrote: »

was just about to ask the same thing;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

-4 in Killygordon, East Donegal.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

He said that at the beginning of the forecast, the part where he introduces the general gist of the weather currently and the weather expected.

He said that at the beginning of the forecast, the part where he introduces the general gist of the weather currently and the weather expected.

Really?! Well what the hell is he on about so??! Shouldn't he be giving a weather warning if that's the case!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

redsunset wrote: »
    "We are unlikely to escape a major snowfall event"

Have ye forgotten this wonderful quote from the Eagle

no i have not, but i do have a bit of disappoinment because this system to the south was an opportunity for fairly widespread and prolonged heavy snow if the optimum criteria was realised. anything after thursday is likely to be fairly localised in a north easterly airflow- unless we get active troughs or a polar low coming from the north east.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Villain wrote: »

It was strange as it was the first thing he actually said on the 6 forecast. Then he launched into a mainly disappointing forecast. I wondered if I had imagined him saying it till resunsets post :p

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

no i have not, but i do have a bit of disappoinment because this system to the south was an opportunity for fairly widespread and prolonged heavy snow if the optimum criteria was realised. anything after thursday is likely to be fairly localised in a north easterly airflow- unless we get active troughs or a polar low coming from the north east.

Not sure why you would be disappointed since this was never going to a snow event for the west? :confused:

leahyl wrote: »
    Really?! Well what the hell is he on about so??! Shouldn't he be giving a weather warning if that's the case!:rolleyes:

he can't give a warning for a mythical date. it was his best guess based on the air source we'll be getting and how long it's likely to last. he could be right. then again maybe he was mindful there was snow addicts watching so he wanted to soften the blow before delivering the bad news:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Your confidence is inspiring WC. But I'd rather trust in snowflakes hitting me in the face:p

I'm more going on a hunch and my experiences of living near the east coast all my life, and a knife edge situation like this is too hard to call. I don't know why you'd put your credibility on the line, it'll be bad enough for you if ya see no snow!

I won't put my credibility on the line for this but I'll certainly buy you a drink if there is any lying snow in Dublin City by 9pm Wedesday. Actually, if it snows (not wet snow or sleet) at all by midnight Wednesday at your house (Which I assume is still in the Portmarnock area), I'll buy you a drink for that either. And you don't even have to get me one if I'm right!:D

Deal! Although i hope this drink isn't a can of Bav in a certain establishment!:D

• Advertisement

Not sure why you would be disappointed since this was never going to a snow event for the west? :confused:

it could have been for parts of the west based on earlier bbc precipitation charts, which i assumed were based on some of the model ouputs. also there are places in the midlands and further south of that which may not get anything out of this northeasterly.

it could have been for parts of the west based on earlier bbc precipitation chart which i assumed were based on some of the model ouputs. also there are places in the midlands and further south of that which may not get anything out of this northeasterly.

Well, if latest models are on the ball, light precipitation cannot be ruled out over the northern central belt of the country over the next 48hrs. High ground in Kerry/Cork/Waterford etc are still likely to see severe blizzard conditions. How close to sea level this gets is anyone's guess as mentioned earlier.

I'm lost, I have to say the models have me wondering what the hell to expect for my location, looks like rain and sleet and possibly a lot then maybe some Snow on Wednesday but imo its all downgrade since Yesterday the GFS has backtracked someway and leaves potential but that potential is less than I had thought.

No Doubt Snow will be seen its just the where and when that is unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

any latest temps in south kerry? I see that initial band has cleared there and wondering how balmy it is there now? we cant afford any temps above 4/5C in south kerry to have any hope for snow further north??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Deal! Although i hope this drink isn't a can of Bav in a certain establishment!:D
    Whatever about the location, a pint or measure of spirits shall be offered to you sir. And no, not a pint of Bavaria's finest:pac:

inabina, Valentia and Sherkin Island showing 7c

current temps in south cork even...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

inabina wrote: »
    current temps in south cork even...

Here you go.....
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Raining in cork. Temp 4.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Pretty windy out there with temps of 2.7 C and 2 C DP. No rain yet here though

• Advertisement

those temps for Cork - 7 degrees!! No chance of snow with those temps...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just heard the Eagle on RTE 9 News now saying that as far as they can see to the 6th January it was going to stay very cold, thats a new one for Met Eireann when they normally say its too difficult to give accurate forecasts even for a few days. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

some of the blue is now pink!!! on will it rain today over galway, looks lite thou

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just heard the Eagle on RTE 9 News now saying that as far as they can see to the 6th January it was going to stay very cold, thats a new one for Met Eireann when they normally say its too difficult to give accurate forecasts even for a few days. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just watched that report on the news. Most of the wintry scenes were taken in and around Galway, yet the reporter said he was in Dublin. What the feck? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

inabina wrote: »
    any latest temps in south kerry? I see that initial band has cleared there and wondering how balmy it is there now? we cant afford any temps above 4/5C in south kerry to have any hope for snow further north??
    rain here now in south kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Just watched that report on the news. Most of the wintry scenes were taken in and around Galway, yet the reporter said he was in Dublin. What the feck? :confused:

Well, he wasn't going to find any wintry scenes in Dublin, was he !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

John Eagleton not so sure about it now.

Snow showers for Thursday in the east.

Min wrote: »
    John Eagleton not so sure about it now.

Snow showers for Thursday in the east.

The Eagle is after backtracking BIG TIME!! He's now saying "probably rain". Earlier it was a sure thing with no mention of snow!! He must have been lurking on here or else taking tips from the beeb;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Lol, the Eagle said "record breaking sn......", but stopped himself short and said "cold"

Upgrade from him he said he "thinks it will be rain", but "these things have a habit of kicking you in the teeth"! :D

Better, much better ;)

Still looking good for the east from Thursday.

• Advertisement

Eagleton FIRMLY calling it Rain. barely mentioned sleet. At least he is willing to call it. He makes his opinion clear. Hats off at least for calling it. Unlike Jean Byrne who really is not up to it in my opinion. Lets hope John is wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement