Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water problems

Options
  • 28-12-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

Anyone without water?

I've heard that some of Ballymote and Ballinacarrow are off and Coolaney reservoir is running low. At this rate I'll be out digging up the ice for a cuppa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I had a customer in the shop today saying she was without water for the past 4 days and she was from Ballyfarnon.
    Have also heard of a few people from around the town without water and God only knows how many people had burst pipes over the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The school and playschool in the village had burst pipes and quite a few houses here have as well.
    We have left our heating on low all the time hoping it doesn't happen to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm just back from visting the family - we've been away since the 23rd.. no water in the house & even worse - no heating as the boiler's not firing up. If anyone knows a good plumber near Coolaney, could they please PM me?!! It's bloody freezing here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bcos

hi dent you pm re plumber that might help you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Sorry for anyone without water but
    One weekend Back in November there was no water around Grange because of a burst pipe.
    The county council refuses to pay staff at weekends so nobody turned up until Monday; meanwhile thousands of gallons were lost. There was no media coverage.
    Why was this problem not reported? because it would contradict the county council mantra that only the public are to blame for water losses?
    It is stomach churning to hear council employees urging us to conserve water when they have caused so much to be lost. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

It was on the 9 O Clock news that some Ballymote residents were without water.

Looked like Keneghan Crescent were getting water from a tanker

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

Essexboy wrote: »
    Sorry for anyone without water but
    One weekend Back in November there was no water around Grange because of a burst pipe.
    The county council refuses to pay staff at weekends so nobody turned up until Monday; meanwhile thousands of gallons were lost. There was no media coverage.
    Why was this problem not reported? because it would contradict the county council mantra that only the public are to blame for water losses?
    It is stomach churning to hear council employees urging us to conserve water when they have caused so much to be lost. :mad:

I think it is always valuable to remind people to conserve water.:D Also, council employees are not to blame for repair delays - it is usually the same reason as most things in our fair isle - bureacracy and politics:rolleyes:...staff get sent to certain areas ahead of others...political triage!!!!

Co co workers were out yesterday and today repairing leaks all over the county - they were not due back 'til tomorrow - many folk expect a 'magic' repair from the co co and don't seem to show any repsonsibility for the cause of the leaks....

rant over:D

- I think we all need to do our bit in these difficult times - like clearing icy paths and roads near our homes, checking on elderly neighbours etc and checking for leaks - so many people are leaving the taps running so they don't freeze!!!!!

I hope the next few days sees all homes with water again - but, the freeze is coming again so precautions will need to be taken:)

Sligo County Council policy is not to pay overtime so any emergencies outside "office hours" will not be dealt with promptly.
    This means that bursts will not be remedied and water lost (as in my previous post): the Plain People suffer but they, not the councillors/Executive, are blamed for leakages.
    Of course, it weakens the case for water charges if councils' failings are acknowledged! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The council have a lot to answer for, but it doesn't help when people also add to the problem by leaving their taps running on low 24/7 to try & prevent their water supply pipes from freezing over. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Essexboy wrote: »

Stomach churning? You have no idea what you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I wish our water had been turned off - our pipes have burst :( To anyone giving out about the council, well the technicians in South Sligo at least are working their asses off - they're getting loads of calls so if anyone is having a problem getting them just try to be patient.

If you've a leak take a look outside your house - there's a small metal or plastic square, probably with a W on it. Lift it up and if it's one of the newer ones it has a blue box in it. Beside the blue box there's a blue or black lever (probably underwater I'm afraid) Turn it 45degrees (1/4 turn) and it turns off your mains water so at least if you have to wait for a plumber there won't be water gushing through the house. (Thank god for my cousin who had to explain that to me over the phone) Oh, if it's an older mains I think there's a metal lever but you may need a pliers to turn it - I know my parents' one was always quite stiff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Stomach churning? You have no idea what you're talking about.

Grow up, Christy!

Here we go again.

A lovely hot day and not a drop of water available in North Sligo: the supply was cut off without warning or explanation.
    We were told that there would no supply between 8pm-8am which implies that service would be normal outside those times but NO! No water to drink, No water to flush the toilets etc. AND the caretaker is not answering his phone although he is on call.

Meanwhile the sewerage plant promised for completion in 2008 is as far away as ever.

Everyone benefited from the boom, says Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern, http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2010/0612/1224272334562.html
    What a tw@t!

Advertisement