Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell potential discussion, new year

Options
  • 28-12-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭

Any discussion on the development of the cold spell towards the new year here:)

Looks like the East coast at least may have a chance of some beefy snow showers as we go into the now year and possibly other parts of the country, doesn't look like any let up from the cold conditions just yet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

All I shall say is, admire those charts while they're there:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

ECM is coming out now. This is nice, cold and snowy esspecially in the East.

Recm721.gif

On to New Years Day (Disruption in the East)

Recm961.gif

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/pi/NAO/
    Currently having a negative North Atlantic Oscillation

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao_index.html

nao.mrf.obs.gif

Could even hold into mid january of course the reduction at the end of the chart could also mean its dying out! But the jet streams and weather patterns shift with the sun so I give it mid jan until a fundamental change comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

The Eagle mentioned that this could be a record breaking cold snap! Is snow on new years eve a definite?

With daytime maxes like these it is certainly possible

Rtavn11417.png

18z is very cold indeed out to 144hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest ECM 00z showing no end to the cold snap:

Cold ridging at144hrs:

100143.gif

Cold troughing at 240hrs:

100144.gif

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so in 5 or six days we could be crying, or delirious with excitement- as widespread and heavy snow pushes up from the south due to the cold air been well established ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think it may stay colder than normal for most of January. There is retrogression underway and the Greenland block may fade briefly but then I see much higher pressures in western Siberia now heading west so perhaps a more potent easterly will develop at some point around mid-month.

Temperatures in early January could fall to even lower values if any significant snow cover develops Thursday-Friday.

12z GFS and UKMO keep the cold going for the forseeable with snow from Thursday morning in the East, South and Northwest in particular. Getting colder and colder from the East.

ECM is out to 168 tonight and it's a bit scary if you don't like cold weather

On Friday - Bitterly cold with snow showers effecting the East and SouthEast and Northwest

Recm721.gif

On Saturday even colder at the surface but a drier day. Ice and frost remaining.

Recm961.gif

On Sunday snow showers resume on the East coast as still colder air comes in from the near continent

Recm1201.gif

On Monday snow showers in the East at first. More prolonged snow into the North. Viciously cold at this stage. Temperatures certainly not above freezing anywhere during the day.

Recm1441.gif

And......on Tuesday.....the East in particular in trouble here

Recm1681.gif

What an unbelievable set of charts:D Remember the elderly etc though:o Records are definately going to tumble on this evidence. This is 1947 or 63 style synoptics - it really is. This is serious stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

You know FI is starting to look serious I know we have cold lovers here but some of these charts will have serious effects on Health and Safety if they happen

Towards the end of the weekend and into next week some pretty low daytime max temperaures forcast - the sea temperatures are not looking far from freezing either.

Rtavn16817.png

And snow especially in the East and South where real disruption can be caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Dare I say it we could be ringing in the new year with the development of a polar low? ;)

The models are suggesting the right conditions late Thursday night into Friday north of Scotland -

-Baroclinic zone running north-south (depicted as an occlusion on today's UKMO +60 chart)
    -H500 troughing and temperature of -41°C (12Z GFS)
    -H850 temperatures of around -9°C

One to watch!

100237.gif

100238.gif

su campu in ramping mode shocker:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

su campu in ramping mode shocker:eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

We might not see a thaw in January, the cold could go on and on and on, the charts at the moment are stunning be dangerous

Was there any mention, a months back, of this cold winter by the long range forecasters?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The charts would seem to indicate that we haven't seen the half of this cold spell yet with east winds setting up shop for some period of time with bitter temperatures.

We could be in the middle of one of the longest cold spells in decades. And it could potentially only be beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Still snowing here ... some more piccys from the day ..

img0721q.th.jpg

img0703d.th.jpg

img0704j.th.jpg

the remains of the snowman created last Tuesday the 22nd .

img0740z.th.jpg

Excellent. My SLR is banjacksed at the mo but I think will have to sort that one out. I've missed plenty of nice shots already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The charts would seem to indicate that we haven't seen the half of this cold spell yet with east winds setting up shop for some period of time with bitter temperatures.

We could be in the middle of one of the longest cold spells in decades. And it could potentially only be beginning.

indeed
    Mon 4 Jan
    Morning -6 °c
    Afternoon -2 °c
    Evening -7 °c

according to metcheck ... more burst pipes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Still snowing here ... some more piccys from the day ..

img0721q.th.jpg

img0703d.th.jpg

img0704j.th.jpg

the remains of the snowman created last Tuesday the 22nd .

img0740z.th.jpg

Damn, I nearly had a coronary there. Thought I seen an Arctic Fox!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

K-9 wrote: »
    Damn, I nearly had a coronary there. Thought I seen an Arctic Fox!

Me too. Nothing to do with the spitz though. I thought I was seeing the finest snowman I have ever witnessed....until I clicked on the thumbnail:D

kerry1960 wrote: »

img0704j.th.jpg

Nice wolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

darkman2 wrote: »
    Nice wolf.

Ah, your taking the p*ss now! :P

My dream is to see an Arctic Fox!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I'll post this in here too as its more suited to this thread.
    Mods remove from other thread if you wish as i was answering a question from that thread on it.

Hey WolfeIRE,looking into that low developing you pointed out earlier.

first of all click on scandinavia to get a better view of it on sat 24.

Looks better swirling.

now this fax shows it up lovely.The 992 low soon detaches from the 980 low and begins to sink south(shown in next fax)

low3.jpg

low4.jpg

Moving ahead to NEW YEARS DAY she sits to the north east of scotland.

low5.jpg

Now i'll only go that far with the fax track on it because it will change somewhat.
    However it's not the polar low that forms out of the blue and only lasts 12 to 24 hrs.
    its a polar low depression.
    But you know about that already.

interesting though,worth keeping an eye on.

The ECM has it in its sights too seen here on this 850mb temps chart,notice the warmer core north east of scotland,that her centre.

low6.JPG

Here's a pdf of the wonderful polar low we so crave that i have posted before,
    http://www.geo-web.org.uk/PolarLow.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

This has a January 87' feel to it, for tomorrow onward. But that only lasted a few days - this spell - could - and I use that word advisedly - last weeks

so it seems the low next week could travel further north than first anticipitated. with all the conditions in place if this system somehow manages to modify the polar aistream i'm going to snap:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

How panicked should we get? I have been housebound for a week due to the estate covered in ice. Last night a bunch of us went out with salt,sand,and ashes from the fire to clear the road so the oil truck could get to refill tanks. The shops have run out of salt. How will the upcoming weeks affect roads and supplies getting to shops, as in food and fuel? Is this a real potential crisis? The weather forums are bring out the henny penny in me. What should we be planning for?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Are the chances of snow showers off the Irish sea fading? looking at the charts it looks like the winds will turn northerly by Friday morning:(? leaving only a small window of opportunity for snow showers to form? I fear this could turn out to be another north-northwesterly event. Also the system on Sunday looks like its gonna track fairly far north dragging mild air across most of Ireland once again? Hope im wrong.

Advertisement