Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying my second set of wheels this week - Guide Me

• 28-12-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, just looking for a bit of guidance here, also taking into account my driving situation.

I'm just turning 27, and have been driving for exactly 3 years now since I started the job after college. I had never really been into cars tbh before this point, and always took a fancy to the Mk 4 Golfs, so when a black 5 door one popped up in a local dealers where my uncle worked, needless to say I had purchased it before I had even driven it. Plus it was a 1.4 so was easier to insure etc etc.

As it turned out I was doing quite a bit of travelling with works, some months covering up to 1,500 miles. I've developed a fair enough appreciation of cars since then, to the point where I'd know what under the hood of most cars on the road, badged or unbadged, etc. However other months would be far less, but I still had it in my head that my next set of wheels would be a diesel, for financial reasons. The more I thought about this lately though, I'm not so sure if diesel is totally necessary. I have driven approx 42000 miles in those 3 years, so that's basically 14000 per annum. Somewhat average I thought!

For the best part of 2 years I had a UK 3-door black A3 pencilled in as my next car, preferably the 2.0 diesel to give me that extra bit of poke on long drives. Along the lines of http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/200951348848988/sort/priceasc/usedcars/make/audi/model/a3/fuel-type/diesel/colour/black/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/price-to/9000/quantity-of-doors/3/seller-type/trade_adverts/postcode/w42ud/page/2/radius/1500?previous=/search/results/usedcars/postcode/w42ud/radius/1500/make/audi/model/a3/fuel-type/diesel/colour/black/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/price-to/9000/quantity-of-doors/3/seller-type/trade_adverts/sort/priceasc/page/2&logcode=p

Lately however, I had gotten the notion of getting the 1.9 JTD Alfa GT (along the lines of this http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200840190247269, so I had been doing a bit of research on those.
    Last night I then come across a very reasonably priced Mk5 GTI on CZ (http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200946195864560), which got me asking a few questions....

I have learned through both extensive driving, and the knowledgeable folk around these parts, that my Mk4 1.4 isn't what one would call 'quick'. :) Quite the opposite in fact. But this got me thinking.....if I'm driving this with a slightly heavier foot just to get around the country at a closer-to-acceptable pace, would it not be too familiar in terms of what I would get from a full tank from a Mk5 GTI, seeing as it doesn't need to be pushed as hard?

On a good run, I would get slightly in excess of 400 miles to a tank in the 1.4. From reading up on a few VW fora last night, this isn't rare for a GTI either. I'm now beginning to get the unhealthy idea that I could live with a GTI, seeing as my insurance goes up circa €300.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just looking to sort out test drives ASAP, because if I go the route of the UK (I probably will if it's a diesel I go for), I would love to have gotten the checks and finance sorted by this time next week, so I don't have to take any time off work in January!

Any info appreciated lads!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

In terms of comfort and MPG, I would suggest te Audi. I have a 98 A4. 2.9 TDI with 190K on the clock. There are no rattles, knocks or bangs in it. and for the most part my journeys are across town and back, and no further. I still get 450 miles odd to the tank. and you can increase that a bit more if you are driving on long trips.

I personally wouldn't recommend a GTI, if you are looking for economy, it'd be savage on Petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

In terms of comfort and MPG, I would suggest te Audi. I have a 98 A4. 2.9 TDI with 190K on the clock. There are no rattles, knocks or bangs in it. and for the most part my journeys are across town and back, and no further. I still get 450 miles odd to the tank. and you can increase that a bit more if you are driving on long trips.

I personally wouldn't recommend a GTI, if you are looking for economy, it'd be savage on Petrol.

I appreciate the economy of the diesel, believe me. My old man has an A6 Avany 1.9tdi and gets 600 miles to the tank. I'm assuming you meant 2.0TDI. :)

In terms of the GTI though, would it really be that much more to run than my 1.4 at the minute, considering I average probably 370-380 on a full tank??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Fizman wrote: »
    I appreciate the economy of the diesel, believe me. My old man has an A6 Avany 1.9tdi and gets 600 miles to the tank. I'm assuming you meant 2.0TDI. :)

In terms of the GTI though, would it really be that much more to run than my 1.4 at the minute, considering I average probably 370-380 on a full tank??

Yes,yes it would :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sorry, my bad, I meant to say 1.9 TDI.

GTI? Definitely since its a 2.0. I had a 2 Liter lexus IS200 and it was a donkey on petrol, and wasn't even a GTI. It will guzzle it, and more than likely you will get that bit less than what you are getting now. If you are going to an engine of that size, road tax will be a bitch (between €500 and €600 a year) so you might as well get some value out of it an make it a diesel.

The only issue I had with the IS200 (which I loved, I might add) was simply how much it burned in fuel. The power was class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

GTI? Definitely since its a 2.0. I had a 2 Liter lexus IS200 and it was a donkey on petrol, and wasn't even a GTI. It will guzzle it, and more than likely you will get that bit less than what you are getting now. If you are going to an engine of that size, road tax will be a bitch (between €500 and €600 a year) so you might as well get some value out of it an make it a diesel.

The only issue I had with the IS200 (which I loved, I might add) was simply how much it burned in fuel. The power was class.

Wow, two whole liters!
    Oh yee that have never lived dolling out advice. A 2.0 litre engine isnt big anywhere but Ireland. Its small. And boring.

To the OP, read:
    http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/202710/vw_golf_gti.html
    Long term test on a Mk5 GTI, reviewer is getting just over 30mpg (realworld) this month. 30mpg is decent economy. Oddly he learned to drive in a 1.4 Golf too.

Buy whatever you like, dont get hung up a a few euro per tank regarding a relative thing like fuel economy. You only live once, would you really like to think back about what you could have had in 50years time when there are no petrol cars any more? I can assure you that saving less than a couple of grand back in 2010 by thinking small isnt going to be something you [want to] remember.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    To the OP, read:
    Long term test on a Mk5 GTI, reviewer is getting just over 30mpg (realworld) this month. 30mpg is decent economy. Oddly he learned to drive in a 1.4 Golf too.

Buy whatever you like, dont get hung up a a few euro per tank regarding a relative thing like fuel economy. You only live once, would you really like to think back about what you could have had in 50years time when there are no petrol cars any more? I can assure you that saving less than a couple of grand back in 2010 by thinking small isnt going to be something you [want to] remember.

See Matt, this is exactly what my heart is telling me to do! If I did go the diesel route, I know for sure that in several years, when I would be changing again, in all likelihood I will be in less of a situation to buy a 2.0 litre turbo petrol, taking into account mortgage and whatever else comes along in the mean time.

I reckon I will give that dealer in Tralee a call in the morning to see if a test drive is possible. Having a look on CZ now and there are what appear to be some very good deals to be had on some GTI's. This one looks ridiculously cheap for the spec/mileage of it!! Going by that ad, it might be got for 13 - 13.5k!?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200949196089259

Looking up some GTI owner sites, and one lad got 445 miles out of one tank!! Granted he admitted to be driving like Miss Daisy, that is still pretty impressive stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Worth considering is the Skoda Octavia vRS, essientially a Golf underneath and has the same 200bhp engine as the Golf GTi:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200949196043390

Or for the best of both worlds the Octavia vRS also comes as an oil burner but only looses 30bhp over the petrol:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200952196301131

I do like the performance Octy's I have to admit. The 170 horse diesel represents superb bang for buck figures, but I can see that as the kind of car I was touching on earlier, as in it's a more sensible purchase, but maybe a purchase I'd be more inclined to make in my thirties as opposed to right now. Smashing car though nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sod it, might as well go the whole nine yards then and get a Focus ST:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200946195859162

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

bazz26 wrote: »
    Sod it, might as well go the whole nine yards then and get a Focus ST:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200946195859162

:D

That is a gorgeous machine. You don't see many of these about.

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic to my original post, but what is the situation regarding an imported 2006 UK reg car and NCT? Does it have to get NCT'd immediately? Or from the month it was first registered in the UK?

How would this be policed were you to be inspected at a checkpoint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Atwork wrote: »
    That is a gorgeous machine. You don't see many of these about.

4 in my area, i see 8-9 a day...

nothing but pitty for the owners tbh

OP: get a saab or simular, comfort style and substance...

they have decent engines, you know ( or so you say ) a fair bit about bangers so bolt on a bigger turbo to the 3.5 turbo models and have Everything you can name:

5 star NCAP safety rating ( the most under rated thing about modern cars )

abs, all the bells and whistles.

inconspicuous - gaurds never stop it... any glanza's at the lights get left for dead...

What more do you actually need ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Sorry, my bad, I meant to say 1.9 TDI.

so this is why we get cars like a bmw 316 over here :D

anyway back to the OP, the mk5 gti should be fine on petrol, on short runs if you are heavy with the right boot it will be below 20, but on long cruises it wull be mid 30s, i was taking it very easy coming up to dublin from wexford last night due to the ice in my TT (same engine) and i averaged over 40mpg :eek:

now any car with the 2.0tfsi isnt a rocket ship despite what people will tell you, but it has adequate power and nice step up from your 1.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Pdfile wrote: »
    4 in my area, i see 8-9 a day...

nothing but pitty for the owners tbh

You see 9 ST's a day and you feel sorry for them?

So I went and test drove this GTI earlier. http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200943195598279

Liked it a lot, so said I'd try to get in touch with the dealer in Tralee to arrange a test drive tomorrow. Left a voice mail to that effect.

Just got a text of the dealer saying "Sorry, GTI sold". Grr.

Was really impressed with the DSG though. Was nice that by chance it turned out I went to school and played rugby with the sales lad, so he just threw the keys at me and said take it out myself.
    Also said I could take it for a few hours tomorrow too if I wanted! :eek: I'll see though. Bit disappointed about the Tralee based one, as it looked like a damn good deal that I was possibly going to go for. Oh well, the search continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

jackncoke wrote: »
    You see 9 ST's a day and you feel sorry for them?

indeed, interested to hear what he means :confused:

edit;

"inconspicuous - gaurds never stop it... any glanza's at the lights get left for dead... "

nevermind, just read the end of his post, no longer interested in hearing explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I reckon I will give that dealer in Tralee a call in the morning to see if a test drive is possible. Having a look on CZ now and there are what appear to be some very good deals to be had on some GTI's. This one looks ridiculously cheap for the spec/mileage of it!! Going by that ad, it might be got for 13 - 13.5k!?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200949196089259

Well definately get a drive in one and see how it goes. Also, I in my earlier post I said 2 litres is small and boring, not all 2 litres are boring of course, I meant the mindset that we are stuck in here.

When talking to a dealer you want to of course play up the "its a huge engine, I dunno" aspect.

Well definately get a drive in one and see how it goes. Also, I in my earlier post I said 2 litres is small and boring, not all 2 litres are boring of course, I meant the mindset that we are stuck in here.

When talking to a dealer you want to of course play up the "its a huge engine, I dunno" aspect.

Drove a DSG earlier today. It was the only one nearby but I also wanted to get a taste of what exactly the DSG has to offer. Was very impressed by both the transmission and the car itself.

Very tempted to check out that grey one in Tallaght. Seems too good to be true though.

Just priced a 5 door 2006 Golf 2.0 GT TDI, 170 hp with DSG and 17" that is available from Car Giant. Would cost the bones of €16k all in to drive it here!!

The GTI I have linked above could be had for close to €13 going by the ad, and that's with FSH and 22k miles! The 170 horse diesel has 88k on it!!

Nice to see that some deals are (possibly) to be had in this country. Will have to decide if it's too much of a stretch on my budget though!

By doing 12-13k miles per annum, I'm beginning to go with the train of thought that maybe I might just be better off with a petrol in the long run.

So the weather hasn't helped my car shopping over the past 2-3 weeks, so I'm still restricted to trawling through the different sites.

Couldn't help but notice that the GTI in Tralee that I had asked about, and subsequently got a text saying it was sold, still seems to be for sale. Only now it's €2,500 more expensive!!! Originally priced at 11.5k.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200946195864560

Very tempted to ring and ask what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

OP get yourself the GTI. Get one with DSG, you will always regret buying the manual if you have driven the DSG. Never mind these naysayers saying buy a Octavia diesel or other such nonsense that a 2 litre petrol car will be "savage" on petrol. It won't be and your annual mileage is so small that its not going to break the bank. You are young and appreciate cars. Time will come soon enough when you'll have to sell it and buy some boring s****box to transport a family about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Strongly agree with veetwin on this. Back in the days BC (before chindren) I always drove the car that I liked and wanted - all GTi or 2l +. All high insurance and tax. Friends horrified that I would throw my hard earned cash around in this manner. When I pointed out that it was costing me only ten or twenty pounds (yes pounds) extra per week to have a great car they would grudgingly admit I was probably right. I now have three young lads and so need a 'bus' that needs an acre to turn and has the performance of a bicycle. I have another few years until the crew wont need dads 24hr taxi every day. Then, at the first given opportunity I will break out and buy a 'Something GTI-RS-turbo-coupe'. Middle age crisis here I come. :-)

Oh! BTW I'd have that Alfa GT in the morning if I could. Great car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

What about an alfa brera - bit different than the golf plus looks great. You can go for the 2.2JTS or the proper 3.2 V6

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1404696.htm
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1386469.htm

Another option I was looking at before, not sure of the running costs but a 156 GTA with the 3.2 V6. The car itself is pretty cheap these days - running costs will prob be highish but worth it for that V6.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1275780.htm

As much as I like the Brera, it's probably a stretch too far for me right now in terms of tax/running costs etc. If I was to go with one, I would probably look at the 2.4 JTD engine first.

I'll give that dealer in Tralee a buzz re the GTI and its price and see what he says.

I can see where you guys are coming from though regarding the whole 'driving of sh1tboxes' in a few years.

veetwin wrote: »
    OP get yourself the GTI. Get one with DSG, you will always regret buying the manual if you have driven the DSG.

I may be on the verge of getting one! :)

Test drove a 2006 low miler yesterday, and in its nicest from I reckon........the 3 door Candy White with 18" Monzas on it. Gorgeous looking thing. Couldn't get over how good a condition it was in.

Full VWSH to boot so did some maths overnight and just rang the lad there with an offer so hopefully he'll get back to me soon so we can do business. Stretching my budget slightly alright but it was just so damn nice. I'm not too bothered re the DSG though. As impressed as I was, I reckon I'd miss the feel of a manual after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Wow, two whole liters!
    Oh yee that have never lived dolling out advice. A 2.0 litre engine isnt big anywhere but Ireland. Its small. And boring.

To the OP, read:

Totally agree - A litre car isn't a big engine, granted it's bigger than your normal 1.4 - 1.6 litre family car but certainly not a big engine.

I'm currently driving a 2.0 litre (hopefully won't be in a few weeks time!) and I'm doing about 28 mpg, which isn't too bad.

Buy the car you want because it's fun to drive, feels right etc... not because you're going to get 5 mpg more out of something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I may be on the verge of getting one! :)

Test drove a 2006 low miler yesterday, and in its nicest from I reckon........the 3 door Candy White with 18" Monzas on it. Gorgeous looking thing. Couldn't get over how good a condition it was in.

Full VWSH to boot so did some maths overnight and just rang the lad there with an offer so hopefully he'll get back to me soon so we can do business. Stretching my budget slightly alright but it was just so damn nice. I'm not too bothered re the DSG though. As impressed as I was, I reckon I'd miss the feel of a manual after a while.

Believe me the DSG makes a huge difference

Deal done and deposit paid!

Should be picking her up on Thursday night! :D

This one is certainly a victory for heart over head! Can't wait to drive her!

Shane732 wrote: »
    Believe me the DSG makes a huge difference

Maybe so, but interesting to see the number of people who are starting to run into problems with it.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=141937.0

Basically...
    Hi Guys,

As I am sure alot of you are aware many people have been experiencing problem with their DSG boxes and its costing people who’s cars that are out of warranty a small fortune to get repaired.
    VW UK/Audi UK only warrant the DSG box for a 3 year period, again I am sure alot of you are aware that VW of America have now increased the DSG warranty to 10 years / 100,000 miles, a group of us feel that VW UK / Audi UK should also increase UK DSG cars to 10 years /100,00 miles.

To aid our protest we have set up a website for DSG owners to register their DSG faults, once we have a large amount of supports and registered faults we shall approach VW UK/Audi UK about increasing the warranty, if this fails we shall contact Watchdog or a national paper for further help.

The website is www.DSGwoes.co.uk, please sign up and register your faults. If you could spread the word about the site with other DSG owners this would also be appreciated.

It’s unfair that VW/Audi should expect their customers take the cost of repair when they themselves should have designed the DSG box to last the life of a car! Make a stand with us!

Many thanks

So I picked up my new baby in Tullamore last night (thanks to TestTransmission - even though it took him 130 mins to travel what he normally claims is 90 - but I won't complain! :)).

Enjoyed the spin home alright. Let's just say there's a significant difference across the board in comparison to the old 1.4. The lad who sold her to me looked genuinely sickened to be letting her go! The condition the car is in is a credit to him in fairness. It genuinely seems as if it has come out of the factory!

I'll get some pics of her up over the next few days, but in the mean time I'll be learning how to use her properly! :)

Spec:

VW Mk5 GTI Manual 3 door - 2006 (66,300 kms)
    Candy White :cool:
    18" Monza's
    Bridgestone Potenzas
    Sunroof
    Armrest
    Rain Sensing Wipers
    Light-dimming rear view mirror
    can't think of the others right now

Now to face a weekend of eager test pilots waiting to get their grubby claws on her! 6 o'clock can't come quick enough! :D

• Advertisement

Got round to taking a few pics at the weekend, and just as soon as I've started, the mothers camera packs it in. Got a handful, so will get a few more over the next few days.

Still delighted with the purchase though! :D Cheers to the petrol heads who pushed me in its direction!

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Advertisement