Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laoptop goes hot and slow and then crashes after 45 mins

• 28-12-2009 4:08pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My mate has a Dell Inspiron 1510 laptop, just over a year old. It has vista and its very slow, he basically said usually after 45 minutes or so it heats up and then starts crawling and will eventually die. I just thought it was software so I formatted it and put on Windows 7 thinking a clean install would fix any issues. However, its kinda still the same. Sometimes it works fine but other times after an hours use it crawls and then becomes unresponsive.

I'm guessing its an actual hardware issue. Can anyone guess what it might be and what I should do to fix it? Are there any online/software tests I can do to see if there is a hardware issue?

Where is a good place in (south) Dublin to leave it in to get fixed?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,230 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Check the dust situation. 9 times outta 10.

the other time outta 10: Whats the GFX card?

What happens is the computer uses the fan to keep it cool until its forced to underclock the CPU until its forced to kill power. thats why it slows down before crashing altogether.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks I was thinking that might be a possibility, however laptop is pretty clean and no signs of dust, but you never know what's inside - I don't really want to go taking it apart though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Having a similar problem myself,where would you go to get a laptop cleaned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,230 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

taking it apart is easy enough usually. and youd be surprised the amount of dust that pockets in and around the heatsink.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

Similar thread here (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055778707)
    Zascar wrote: »
    Are there any online/software tests I can do to see if there is a hardware issue?
    It sounds like the overheating is the problem, the fan should be kept clear of obstruction.
    You could try putting something under the laptop's "feet" to elevate the computer up off the table and allow more air underneath to the fan.
    It works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Is sitting on a marble countertop, lots of room under it, its actually not that hot but went very slow. I'm letting it cool down and will try again now.

If my mate does want to just drop it in somewhere to get them to look at it, where would be a good place to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My mate has a Dell Inspiron 1510 laptop, just over a year old. It has vista and its very slow, he basically said usually after 45 minutes or so it heats up and then starts crawling and will eventually die. I just thought it was software so I formatted it and put on Windows 7 thinking a clean install would fix any issues. However, its kinda still the same. Sometimes it works fine but other times after an hours use it crawls and then becomes unresponsive.

I'm guessing its an actual hardware issue. Can anyone guess what it might be and what I should do to fix it? Are there any online/software tests I can do to see if there is a hardware issue?

Where is a good place in (south) Dublin to leave it in to get fixed?
    Thanks

Hey Zascar,

I've fixed two Inspiron 15XXs for this, and the damage it caused(one had windows files crippled by it overheating at a bad time). The amount of crap on the inside of one was amazing, though it looked very well kept externally.

Its very easy to open them up to remove the dust, just means taking out f@ckloads of little screws. Cant find any 1510 specific video guides but if you look at ones for 1525s and 1501s you'll get the idea of what to do. Start with the battery, then take out the disk drives(really easy). Then use a small flat screwdriver to pop the panel above the keyboard. 3 screws and that will pull out towards the screen, watch out for the ribbon connecting it to the mobo. After that you need to remove all the base screws and pop the casing apart. Its holds itself together without the screws so get a couple of real small screrwdrivers and pop it off all the way around.

Hope you can follow all that:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is sitting on a marble countertop, lots of room under it, its actually not that hot but went very slow. I'm letting it cool down and will try again now.

If my mate does want to just drop it in somewhere to get them to look at it, where would be a good place to do this?

I've heard good things about MicroPro on Nutgrove Avenue(Beside the chipper:p)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement