Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High limit reached !

• 28-12-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

My High Limit has been reached.

I hope that the Mods will leave this post here and let it work its way down the page in the usual fashion. I have been posting on the DIY forum since 2005, using the name JamesM (not my own - I'm not even Jim) and hopefully have helped some people with good advice over the years.

I have 40 years experience with oil burners, but I unfortunately contradicted someone who claims to know more than me, but then made these statements.

“Oil boilers are fairly simple to be honest, all you have is a big metal box and a burner.” “I haven't been paying much attention to oil over the last few years” “High limit stat on an oil boiler should not be reset by the home owner”. (User Manual shows the householder how to do it.)
    “Anyone reading this with an oil boiler. Unfortunately oil boilers are fairly primitive, they really only have two safety devices, first is high limit lock out and second is fire check valve.” No mention of a sophisticated control box and photocell which shuts down the system if the flame fails for any reason.
    “Heating is not a DIY matter, long as I am here I'll make sure thats know.”

If heating is not a DIY matter, and I am going to have someone contradicting me and starting a row every time I give some advice, then it’s really not worth the hassle.
    I foolishly let myself get caught up in a pissing match, and regret that.

I have decided to take an extended break from “Boards”, starting now.
    Jim.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

JamesM wrote: »
    Jim.

James reconsider this one i for one always greatly appreciate your advice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Hi James M

I found your advice on my super q boiler very useful.
    Its peolple like you that are needed on theses forums but don't take it too serious cause theres alweys someone who thinks they more than you
    Thanks again James M

Thats a shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Jim. I have always found your posts informative and well intentioned. Perhaps you will reconsider as I'm sure more boardsies will benefit from your advice with the current climactic conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scudges Da

Hi Jim

I have been in the heating and plumbing game for twenty years and reckon your advice has generally been spot on.
    People really appreciate your help

You should reconsider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

I hope that the Mods will leave this post here and let it work its way down the page in the usual fashion. I have been posting on the DIY forum since 2005, using the name JamesM (not my own - I'm not even Jim) and hopefully have helped some people with good advice over the years.

I have 40 years experience with oil burners, but I unfortunately contradicted someone who claims to know more than me, but then made these statements.

“Oil boilers are fairly simple to be honest, all you have is a big metal box and a burner.” “I haven't been paying much attention to oil over the last few years” “High limit stat on an oil boiler should not be reset by the home owner”. (User Manual shows the householder how to do it.)
    “Anyone reading this with an oil boiler. Unfortunately oil boilers are fairly primitive, they really only have two safety devices, first is high limit lock out and second is fire check valve.” No mention of a sophisticated control box and photocell which shuts down the system if the flame fails for any reason.

If heating is not a DIY matter, and I am going to have someone contradicting me and starting a row every time I give some advice, then it’s really not worth the hassle.

Jim.

I have to agree with you.... that individual seemed to be more intent on fighting with you that helping out the people on this forum. I will admit I was suprised you rose to the bait, but I can also see that you wanted to defend your self. I too am loathe to give any advice since that individual appeared for fear of being attacked for something I say in order to be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Never had to be this way, I noticed one of Jims postings suggesting a poster should turn off a heating bypass which is against regulation, so I called him out. From then on all my posts have been repeatedly criticized in a childish manor by Jim.

I've never received any messages from any moderators, I am not creating any problems.

Heating really aint a DIY matter, your home insurance will not cover any damages created by DIY heating alteration / modification.

Dozens of times over I've provided many examples, fact's, evidence etc to back up my claims against Jim's postings, I don't have the time to quote, multi quote and so on, everything is there to see in the threads for anyone who's interested.

Jim.

“Oil boilers are fairly simple to be honest, all you have is a big metal box and a burner.” Compared to Gas, Geo etc Oil boilers are fairly simple.

“I haven't been paying much attention to oil over the last few years” I've spent the last few years working on Geo systems, previous to Geo I've spent a lot of time working with both Oil and Gas. Oil boiler's have not advanced that much in the last few years apart from condensing Oil boilers.

“High limit stat on an oil boiler should not be reset by the home owner” High limit stat turns Oil boiler off when high limit stat reads boiler temp of over 100 degree C, all for safety reasons. Unless your experienced enough to determine why you boiler has reached a temp over 100 degree C, I believe it is fair to say, homeowner should not reset high limit stat.

James mentions how manual shows homeowner how to reset high limit. Oil boiler Installation and service manual will indeed show you how to reset. The actual user manual gives very vague details towards high limit. It is up to the installer to show home owner how to reset high limit. A certified Oil boiler installer will inform homeowner of risk associated by resetting a boiler on high limit.

“Anyone reading this with an oil boiler. Unfortunately oil boilers are fairly primitive, they really only have two safety devices, first is high limit lock out and second is fire check valve.” High limit stat will turn off Oil boiler when water temperature reaches a dangerous temperature. Fire check will shut off Oil supply if boiler goes on fire. These are two Oil boiler safety feature's known to most, as James mentioned, the photo sensitive eye is indeed a safety feature but its a safety feature unknown to most.

Every fuel provider, boiler manufacture, radiator manufacture, cylinder manufacture, insurance company and so on highly recommends all works with the above be carried out by a certified person, for some it is a requirement.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Jim, your advice on this forum over the years has been great tbh, and we are the better for it. Not having been on too much over Crimbo, I have only now seen the thread you are referring too. While your advice may have benefited the OP in this case, I would have to say that I would echo the sentiments of some others who think that such advice on a public forum could lead to the wrong person picking it up and doing something they shouldn't. Having said that, you should not see this as a criticism its just a case of how the site has to cover itself from time to time.

On another note if someone had a problem with your advice then they should have reported the post rather than derail the thread, likewise if you feel you are being wrongly treated on the forum you can equally report a post.

delly wrote: »
    I would have to say that I would echo the sentiments of some others who think that such advice on a public forum could lead to the wrong person picking it up and doing something they shouldn't. Having said that, you should not see this as a criticism its just a case of how the site has to cover itself from time to time.

Delly, your warnings should be about safety, safety, safety and clear on that point, you have a posting advising the bridging out of a safety devise and how to do it and your more concerned with the site covering itself, the line should be clearly drawn and any postings on interfering with safety devices should be dealt with in a stronger manor than above, I've taken on board your warning, obviously i don't agree, and i do have a problem with the way things stand regarding unsafe posts, so as I've reached my high limit I'm off and that ain't for reseting, Gary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

gary71 wrote: »
    Delly, your warnings should be about safety, safety, safety and clear on that point, you have a posting advising the bridging out of a safety devise and how to do it and your more concerned with the site covering itself, the line should be clearly drawn and any postings on interfering with safety devices should be dealt with in a stronger manor than above, I've taken on board your warning, obviously i don't agree, and i do have a problem with the way things stand regarding unsafe posts, so as I've reached my high limit I'm off and that ain't for reseting, Gary.

If JamesM had not deleted his post already, then I would have done so therefore removing the problem. If you want to talk safety then most posts could be perceived as having a risk factor such as giving simple advice on using a hedge trimmer leading to someone cutting a finger off. I'm not going to start lecturing somebody on something that I really have no direct knowledge on, but if I see something that has an obvious potential for disaster then its gets deleted. If people are dumb enough to pick up a Darwin award then thats there problem, my job is to make sure the site isn't a medium for it.

Would it be difficult to create a separate section just for heating?

Gas and Oil are part of heating, both are just as dangerous as electricity.

Electricity is'nt DIY, so its fair to say, heating is'nt DIY.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

items wrote: »
    Would it be difficult to create a separate section just for heating?

Gas and Oil are part of heating, both are just as dangerous as electricity.

Electricity is'nt DIY, so its fair to say, heating is'nt DIY.

Just a thought.

Electricity is DIY, as is using a chainsaw.

Get off your high horse. My mother is over 80 and was probably wiring her own plugs long before you were born.

Right sulk over and I've put my toys back in the pram. I am a professional tradesman, to get to this point i have made lots of mistakes and still make some, as a apprentice i had the benefit of someone looking over my shoulder and telling me things like "don't blow that joint the gas is still on" or "next time close the drain off before you fill the system", Diy'ers don't have that obviously, so in my mind, direction should come from you, JamesM kicks ass when it comes to oil and has done longer than i have been in the country, but dangerous advice is just that, dangerous irrespective of who it comes from, deleting the post after the fact is one way to approach it, but JamesM was more concerned about fellow posters pulling him than a mod, you have posted a example of advise on a hedge trimmer, if a poster was advising on removing the safety guard to get a better cut, then were in the same ball park as removing a safety devise from a boiler, i am all for natural selection but i balance that out with duty of care, i don't for one minute expect you to lecture on safety implications of posts, but i do expect you to draw a clear line as to what is right and wrong, advise on removing any safety devise on any product should be a no, no from the start and posters shouldn't be under any misconception about it being acceptable, i have spent many years rectifying other peoples mistakes, and the easy acceptance of bending safety rules in Ireland is frightening, i take safety very seriously which is why to date i haven't blown anyone up, i give my customers/installers all the information they need in rectifying their safety issues and then i can walk a way it's up to them then, I'm not going to harass you by going on about this, or do i believe it's my way or the high way, i have given my opinion on something thats very important to me, it up to you to decide what if anything is relevant to your forum, I've got a headache now, so I'm off, Gary.

cnocbui wrote: »

Get off your high horse. My mother is over 80 and was probably wiring her own plugs long before you were born.

She must be the one wiring the systems i come across:), the thing about any kind of work a diyer hasn't done before is they don't know what they don't know and sometimes not knowing leads to deaths, you will find the people who do understand their trade and understand the risk tend to get up on their high horse when it comes to diy because it's like giving your new car to someone who hasn't driven before, but driving is easy so there should be no worries there;).

She must be the one wiring the systems i come across:), the thing about any kind of work a diyer hasn't done before is they don't know what they don't know and sometimes not knowing leads to deaths, you will find the people who do understand their trade and understand the risk tend to get up on their high horse when it comes to diy because it's like giving your new car to someone who hasn't driven before, but driving is easy so there should be no worries there;).

You would never have come across anything my mother has done as it was done properly and would not have given cause for your services to be required

I have been doing my own electrical work for decades. I do what I know I am competent to do and occasionally get in an electrician when I think it necessary.

I have also been known to do my own work on safety critical systems on cars like braking and steering systems. I am not a qualified mechanic but I do a better job than some who are.

The technical competence and knowledge of DIYers is very wide ranging so it is foolish to generalize.

Have to say your wrong.

Top of page, find the word "rec", when you find it move your little arrow over it, scroll down until you see home and garden, there you will see a separate section for electrical.

If an electrical question is posted in DIY section, where do you think they'll be sent? and why are they being sent there?

You would never have come across anything my mother has done as it was done properly and would not have given cause for your services to be required

I have been doing my own electrical work for decades. I do what I know I am competent to do and occasionally get in an electrician when I think it necessary.

I have also been known to do my own work on safety critical systems on cars like braking and steering systems. I am not a qualified mechanic but I do a better job than some who are.

The technical competence and knowledge of DIYers is very wide ranging so it is foolish to generalize.

Accepted, i found this site by being a diyer myself, i don't get to meet people who get things right and from the level of sales there is a lot, so my judgment can be clouded, just opening the manual puts you in front of some installers and thats not a joke, i post on here to pay back the help i got when i built my house and I'm all for empowering people to do their own work, but in a safe way, i think qualified trades man are in best position to identify whats safe and whats not, and without sounding like a stuck record bridging out safety devices is a dangerous road to go down, Gary.

Accepted, i found this site by being a diyer myself, i don't get to meet people who get things right and from the level of sales there is a lot, so my judgment can be clouded, just opening the manual puts you in front of some installers and thats not a joke, i post on here to pay back the help i got when i built my house and I'm all for empowering people to do their own work, but in a safe way, i think qualified trades man are in best position to identify whats safe and whats not, and without sounding like a stuck record bridging out safety devices is a dangerous road to go down, Gary.

I agree, safety should be paramount and where it might be an issue, it should be highlighted and explained as part of any advice given.

Peace.

Have to say your wrong.

Top of page, find the word "rec", when you find it move your little arrow over it, scroll down until you see home and garden, there you will see a separate section for electrical.

If an electrical question is posted in DIY section, where do you think they'll be sent? and why are they being sent there?

Pedantic.

• Advertisement

Folks, this was originally the gardening and diy fourm which covered everything and anything in that heading. It then slowly branched out to the headings you see now as the one forum to cover everything was too busy. Its not as you think that electrical is separate because it isn't classed as diy, its just because on its own it is a busy subject.

If an obvious post defys safety rules then it will be removed, but more importantly if a post is unsafe and is not obvious, then I rely on you guys to report the post with a reason as to why it is unsafe. If I have the knowledge then I can make a balanced decision.

Thankfully it's not a issue that comes up very often as far as i can see, but if i report anybody, I'll have a little voice in my head going grass, grass, grass:), it's a bit naughty of me to be bitching if i didn't give you the heads up first, I'll let you know next time, Gary the grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

There are a few lads on this forum know some of my experience with the construction sector.

Ive been working at it for the past 15 years, since i was old enough to essentially. I have no formal qualification, i have build 2 houses, 1 of them entirely from green field to cleaning off the countertop, the other, i finished from second fixing onwards.

Ive been able to do what ive done through, learning from mostly my father and through patience, and i can safely say that my plastering, roofing and blockwork is better than some trade professionals. Final fix carpentry is good but you wouldnt want to be in a hurry for me to finish.

My Plumbing would be akin to a first year apprentice, i avoid doing it, but can do the simpler stuff
    Electrical work i wont do, i will do some minor work like wireing a light or a socket etc, but i avoid it for the reasons stated by gary.

The thing about electrical work is.. if you do a **** job on block work - carpentry or plastering its rather apparent to the naked eye and well, "lol, that looks shyte" is as bad as it will get (once of course the work wasnt structural)

With electrical work, its one thing making the loop and connections, its another thing having the work safe.. you need to have the correct wires used, proper mcb's etc... to cut a long story short, i know of a gent that rented property from us and decided to chase the wall in the bedroom and gang to lights either side of the bed.. .. and wired them with... bell wire :rolleyes: then covered it all up with a nice combustable canopy..

deathtrap.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Just thought I'd add my 2 cent.
    I think it's better to give a little advice to people online ,rather than them being afraid to ask and doing something dangerous.

As long as the forum is not too serious ,people will know that the advice is among people who have an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Jim, I am another that is sorry to see you go and I also ask you to reconsider. You will recall a few days ago, my post asking a certain poster to refrain from the personal assault (on you) as I saw it.

Like you, I have posted regularly enough in this forum. I now am intimidated from doing so by the recent appearance of certain individuals.

People have come into this forum in trouble, most notably in recent days, those that have had no heat over Christmas with no tradesmen easily available. Those of us who have been here a while, have tried our best to help them out of a bind. We are happy to take the time to do so and often share certain trade advise on the assumption that we are dealing with adults and that if they do not feel happy with their competence, then they will wait until they find someone else to do it.

Every single thing there is has a trade, from plumbing to electrics to landscaping and everything else in between. DIY is just that, avoiding (if possible) the need for engaging a tradesperson for some or all of the task in hand. This is a DIY forum. Those that post here should IMO post for the benefit of the information requester, not start a war and scare the shyte out of the OP and the respondent posters alike in the interests of securing a fraction more work for their own trade.

I have rarely seen bad advice given here save by people who are very clearly chancing their arm and in love with their own voices. We have seen lots ofg people sorted by the advice they have gotten here and IMO the advice given and presumably followed, is a far better scenario than having people prodding and poking in the absence of either advice or knowledge.

Finally, Jim has given good advice and his heart is always in the right place. I am asking him to return and if he doesn't, then I too wont be giving any advice in this forum from now on.

Its a pity that the antics and attitudes of one or two self confident, self opinionated pricks can ruin something that worked well, served so many and was a joy to be part of.

Awaiting your response Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Would be sorry to see Jim go, has been exceptionally helpfull here to countless families and should be thanked for it.

Jim your advice is given to help the people who ask, not the people who pontificate here. They will be sorry to see you go.

Gary also would be missed, between you two and a lot of others there has been some really helpful and informative debates on here, shame the odd one degenerated somewhat to personal crap.

If a professional feels that all within their trade is not DIY performable well then why post here? Off with you to a pro forum and debate away meanwhile we'll try and help Mrs Miggins get the heating on this freezing cold christmas if we can at all!!!

happy new year to ye all!:)

When I give out advice here, its the same advice I'll give in real world, if someone DIY'er, homeowner etc is doing something or suggesting doing something that is against regulations I'll tell them not to do it, along with why it shouldn't be done.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about, If someone doesn't agree with a poster they list out why, thats the idea of this site. By all means post away, I'm not suggesting anyone should stop, I could learn a few things myself.

If you're nervous to post on a thread for fear of being criticized, maybe you shouldn't be posting on that thread.

I don't feel nervous posting on certain threads as I am confidant the advice I give is based on my experiences, that way I will be prepared for any criticism.

I signed up not to long ago to help flood victims in Cork, happened to be looking through DIY just to pass time until I noticed a certain post, the post contained some details which go against regulation so I made comment saying the advice given was way off the mark.

Since then, I've been branded a raging alcoholic, haven't a clue what I am doing, pedantic, a pr1ck and all other names and terms, all for what?

Giving experienced, qualified advice.

I've never rose to any of the above as I see no point, anyone wants to start pointing fingers they really shouldn't be in my direction.

As for Jim. James, he may well have been giving great advice in all those years, might have helped hundreds of people. If Jim, James had been confidant in the advice he gave during the time I became involved he would'nt of behaved in such a childish manor after I criticized his posts. Maybe Jim, James has realized his experience does not stretch that far, instead of arguing with me, he could have stayed on, I had no problem debating over issues, but it came to a point where he had nothing left to debate against, then left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

When I give out advice here, its the same advice I'll give in real world, if someone DIY'er, homeowner etc is doing something or suggesting doing something that is against regulations I'll tell them not to do it, along with why it shouldn't be done.

Items ,in all fairness ,join a brass band and blow your trumpet somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I don't understand what all the fuss is about, If someone doesn't agree with a poster they list out why, thats the idea of this site. By all means post away, I'm not suggesting anyone should stop, I could learn a few things myself.

If you're nervous to post on a thread for fear of being criticized, maybe you shouldn't be posting on that thread.

Items, im not saying your advice isnt worthwhile nor helpful.

However, i personally, not knowing you or the other chap feel from what i read yesterday in the thread linked in the opening post that its your manner in which you post is less than courteous. Im not having a dig at you and ive no axe to grind, i just personally feel your manner in posting, or replying to a perceived criticism is a little abrasive.

• Advertisement

Gary also would be missed
    I was only sulking cos Delly told me off and I've always liked the dramatic exits.

I like helping people, i have been in the service industry since i was 16, i also like educating people and have made enough mistakes and taken enough chances to want to pass on the information so there not repeated, no different from the rest of you I'm sure, the type of work i have done over the years has shaped the kind of engineer i am, i have dealt with large scale gas escapes that have demolished buildings(not caused by me) to deaths from appliances serviced by a fruit loop, i have seen the damage caused by burns(to the bone) when a colleague put his hand inside a gas boiler that was still live cos he didn't do his basic electric checks first, i don't say this to sound clever but to explain my paranoia about safety.

I have given advise to installers over the phone before then to arrive on site to find they got it all wrong, they missed the bit about isolating the mains water before removing the filter, so as a professional trades man I'm happy to help but i have to censor the advise in case a fruit loop can work a computer, i got on Jamesm case because of bit of advise he gave that i felt was just to dangerous, some agree some don't such is life, but it comes down to personal experiences with things going wrong and how easy it goes wrong as well.

I do find it funny that with everyone coming on posting to help that it ends up going a bit silly and as for being a self confident, self opinionated prick, Avns1s did i marry you, you sound like someone else i know:) Gary.

Advertisement