Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High limit reached !

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

gary71 wrote: »
    . I like helping people,.

..as do i. Heres one for you..

Paragraph.. please use them. My eyes are sore :D :P

Items have you worked in Ireland long, i ask that because when i first started working here i had a big problem coming from working in a environment were all aspects of the job were regulated to no regulations at all, the good side of that is i find Irish installers are more free thinking, I'm not going to mention the bad, I've decided to enter the new year without bitching, Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

gary71 wrote: »
    Items have you worked in Ireland long, i ask that because when i first started working here i had a big problem coming from working in a environment were all aspects of the job were regulated to no regulations at all, the good side of that is i find Irish installers are more free thinking, I'm not going to mention the bad, I've decided to enter the new year without bitching, Gary.

Born and bread here, father was a fitter turned plumber. Working with plumbing and heating since I can remember. Used to go with father as a kid servicing oil boilers, it was my job to undo boiler casing. Father was one of the first to work with Bord Gas around the time town gas ended.

I've worked in Grannys back boiler cottage down the road right up to one of Ireland's biggest ever pipe fitting job, intel FAB 24. Done all Gas and Oil works you can imagine, last few years moved into Geothermal.

I know this place like back of my hand, I've been abroad to a few places, sussed out both heating and plumbing systems along with regs.

Irish Plumbing and Heating regulation is the pits, people really deserve better. Majority of plumbing/ heating posts you see here is all down to bad installation which most payed highly for, what you see here is just the tip of an ice berg, sure you know about it too.

This is why people are fussing when an experienced person gives advice, a lot of people think its a god given right in Ireland to do as please with plumbing or heating, its not their fault I guess, down to the regulation system etc, people are not aware of the risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

JamesM, you were very helpful to me before, when I had a problem with a pos grant burner.

Illegitimi non carborundum-for want of a better pidgin latin phrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Maybe I am missing the point, but I thought this was a DIY forum, where people could swap ideas and advice on the principle that "this is what I did". I didn't know it was a forum where various tradesmen could enter into armed combat. I have given advice, and sometimes it was wrong, but diagnosis over the Internet when you have no possibility of actually putting your hands on the problem is difficult to say the least. Personally, I cannot diagnose a heating or electrical problem accurately without being on site with the right equipment.

If JameM and Gary are pulling out then in my view we have a problem. Other posters here may consider themselves to be experts, but that is their opinion.

And before the flaming starts, I am retired but am qualified in marine, electrical, and mechanical engineering having served an apprenticeship that covered all of them. I can wire a circuit (I design them for large induststrial process plant) and I can plumb a tap. But for the purposes of this forum I don't class myself as an expert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Their is no bother here at all, DIY is DIY, but some areas, electric and certain heating jobs just aint DIY. I've seen some posts, same as a few others which went on borderline dangerous to leaving things in a hazordous way. Anyone who knows their trade, job, experience will criticize strongly against posts containing dangerous elements.

Gary has'nt left. Have'nt seen any flaming, just DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

LOL.. I kinda liked the way the first few posts called him "Jim" even thou he said his name was not James or even Jim :-)

JamesM (or whatever you real name is)... havent you realised by now that boards.ie (as with all messageboards) is frequented by professionals but for every one professional there is also one (ars*hole for a better word) who likes nothing better than to disagree with some point and start an argument ??

Its the reason I very rarely post on boards.

Advertisement