Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

needed a jump start again

• 28-12-2009 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Had to jump car again today. Think the plugs are getting damp. How to prevent this? Can i put wd40 oil on them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I think you need a new battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

aujopimur wrote: »
    I think you need a new battery.
    +1
    Your plugs are probably getting damp because the car is not starting properly, not the other way round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

Thanks guys you could be right. But it takes a while to start even with the jump battery. Seeing mechanic soon anyway, thanks again:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KC JONES wrote: »
    Thanks guys you could be right. But it takes a while to start even with the jump battery. Seeing mechanic soon anyway, thanks again:)

The battery on my previous car was so dead, it took another car with a running engine connected through jumpleads plus a starter pack to get it started :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

unkel wrote: »
    The battery on my previous car was so dead, it took another car with a running engine connected through jumpleads plus a starter pack to get it started :D
    is your car a classic car?:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Please please please:

Always give us the make and model of car as advice is often marque specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Also on top of others advice.
    Please switch off all electrics before shutting down the engine after driving to help assist the battery. At least do this before putting the key in the ignition!
    People often forget to switch off the heater or radio and on these cold nights the strain on the starter motor/ battery is already enough.

marque specific. Mine is a 01 Fiesta 1.25 zetec petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

marque specific. Mine is a 01 Fiesta 1.25 zetec petrol

You have a dead / dying "cell" on your battery.
    Please install a new good brand battery IE Fulmen, Varta etc

Note: This next tip prevents you picking battery and acid out of your face:

Beware if you jump start a badly discharged battery as the electrolyte may be frozen and the battery may explode.

We don't get this too much in nice temperate Ireland,
    but it happens a lot in colder countries.

TOP TIP for this cold snap !:D:D:D

thanks. did anyone ever hear of kato brand power packs for jump starting? search does not show much. appreciate comment re battery, just thinking ahead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

thanks. did anyone ever hear of kato brand power packs for jump starting? search does not show much. appreciate comment re battery, just thinking ahead

If you WANT to think ahead, change the battery.

If you WANT to procrastinate, think of other possible ways to spend your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

'01 Fiesta may still have its original battery fitted, most likely tired and due a change. If you want to be sure get it tested, most garages/mechanics could do it for you.

As v300 says, get a decent battery, there's an awful lot of rubbish out there at the moment. Pick a make that supplies manufacturers as OEM, ie Varta, Moll, or a high end aftermarket product such as Bosch, Delco etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Plug wrote: »
    is your car a classic car?:P

The one with the totally dead (10 year old) battery was my '96 BMW 735. Once jumpstarted it would idle fine and rev up fine too, but when you selected reverse on the autobox, the engine would cut out straight away :D

(there's a thread about it here somewhere)

Advertisement