Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a snooker cue

• 28-12-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I'm a beginner at snooker and was thinking of getting a cue. I dont want to spent alot and was thinking of just getting a cheap one in Elverys or somewhere like that. Would this be better than using club cues which are quite used. Or would the used club cues still be better than say a €20 cue? thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

some club cue's are ok but its nice to have your own, especially since the tips are always broken, Argos do half decent cue's for beginners, If you could stretch your budget a little more you could pick up something nice to play with.
    When I was beginning I played with cue's that where like branchs from trees ha but when your a beginner you think that having a good cue will make u pot more, incorrect, u might get more reaction from a good cue, but its all down to practice, timing and being comfortable with your cue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    but when your a beginner you think that having a good cue will make u pot more, incorrect, u might get more reaction from a good cue, but its all down to practice, timing and being comfortable with your cue.

Very true. I have my own cue, I am alright at snooker. But I started to find that my cue did not give me enough control over the white ball. I have now started to use club cues and I find it better as they have smaller tips. The guy in my local club lets me use their propper cues. It just feels easier to control it and my pots have been getting better. Just need to keep up the practice and have patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Was in Brenfer's on Capel st today buying a new cue. Great selection for every price range from €20 - €400.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

My advice would be to buy a cheap two piece cue,normally for sale in Argos, Elverys and possibly other sports shops. The reason i say a cheap cue is that you mentioned you are a beginner at snooker, i have seen many beginners go out and buy beautiful 3 piece ash cues for huge money €400 plus! only to get bored with the game mostly due to lack of improvement and generally they think if they have a great cue it will make them great!

Just like taking up golf, many get a beginners set, take some lessons and once they notice improvement they upgrade their clubs. The same can be said about snooker, you can pick up a two piece cue including a case for small money, i recommend a two piece cue simply for the fact that it is easy for carrying about and storage etc.

Maybe book a lesson or two in your local club with a qualified coach and see how you get on.Learn the basics and when it comes to the time you feel you are improving then maybe look at upgrading your cue.

Good Luck and enjoy the great game of snooker :)

Advertisement