Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas fire or radiator???

Options
  • 28-12-2009 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it works out cheaper to heat a room using the gas fire or by turning the heating on and only having the radiators on in that room?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

good question...I would lean towards the gas fire on this one.

The gas fire being flueless has good efficiency however, the vents is the wall reduce this efficiency in my view. Nevertheless, the vents are there anyway so if you use either the Gas Fire or the Central Heating Boiler, the room will be ventilated as usual.

I think the idea here is what can heat the room quicker, and then maintain the heat in the room with little cost?

Because the Central Heating will heat the hot water cylinder also, unless you turn it off in the Hot Press, it is slow to heat the one room. Lots of heat unnecessarily lost in pipes too.

I tend to run the heating on a daily 'timed' setting. If I need a boost in the Living Room in the evening due to cold weather I top-up the heat with the gas fire. Makes it nice and comfy!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Thanks for that Astro

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

what about closing the vents when rads on. Won't cool as fast. Don't do it with gas fire obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

dr ro wrote: »
    what about closing the vents when rads on. Won't cool as fast. Don't do it with gas fire obviously.

Thanks Dr Ro, im up in Seabourne and there is a vent above the sliding door, would this be the vent you mean?

Advertisement