Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

The guys mashup is ridiculously good too. Glee's on TV3 tonight at 8pm so I'll finally get a chance to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Lea Michele is incredible, but so is Amber Riley (Mercedes) who is terribly under used. She has an amazing voice adn I hope they'll use her more in the future.

I also think that Cory Monteith (Finn) doesn't have the strongest voice. Kevin McHale (Artie) has a much better voice and I love when he sings (theres also something very attractive about him). Great tone to his voice whereas Finn is quite weak.
    All personal opinion of course :)

Definitely and definitely! I'd love to hear much more from Mercedes, fabulous voice.

Finn isn't amazing as a singer but I got to like listening to him after a few episodes. Artie's just awesome! :D

Just watched the first episode. Finally. :P Very impressed altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Guilty pleasure. It's just like Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy etc. except these actors/actresses have real talent which makes it interesting and worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Yeah, and it's nice havin somethin to take away from the show itself
    [The Albums / singles]

Can't stop watchin the Rehab performance, was sooo good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

The episode on TV3 tonight was a repeat :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I need more of Jane Lynch...please:D

diddlybit wrote: »
    I need more of Jane Lynch...please:D

She's brilliant. She's just such a contemptible character!
    Until the episode with her sister and then she seems slightly human, totally throwing our perception of her.

I've now watched the entire season. It just got better with each episode. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I've watched it all, and I've mixed feelings about it.
    Spoilers ahead.

Jane Lynch is just superb in it. She makes the show a LOT more tolerable. I'd say she writes her own script in it.
    Yer man Finn is horribly mis cast. He has a horrible thin voice, and I shudder every time he gets a high note. He's twenty seven and looks it, playing a sixteen year old. He's only four years youngerthan Shuester!
    I resent the implication that you can't be cool and be in a choir, expecially in a show choir, which does more popular sh1t than a regular choir.
    The gay lad has an amazing voice, to the extent that it wasn't credible that he'd fcuk his line in Defying Gravity.
    It's also not believable that Rachel would be unpopular, her character isn't developed that way. Every tiem I see or hear something about her being un cool or unpopular, I just don't believe it. She's way too hot to be disliked.
    Or that the bullying with the slushies would be tolerated so blatantly.
    I do like the career guidance counsellor, she's real cute, and the OCD angle is pretty funny.
    Liked the episode with Kristin Chenoweth, that was pretty cool to see that she had an interest in the show.
    I HATe the backing band and the idea of it. or artie wheeling himself around the stage, bass in hand, with nothing plugged in to it., the fact that Shuester hands out ONE page of music every time, and they break into perfectly rehearsed and lip synced songs. And Don't Stop Believing was put through a goddamned vocoder! This is meant to be highlighting how good people can sing, ffs!
    The entire football team put a ring on it thing? Ridiculous.
    This show is more high school musical than anything near a glee club. I'd hate to be in such a group, being effectively relegated to the role of a backing singer doo wopping in the background for ninety per cent of the songs.
    Mercedes is a fine singer, though I wish they didn't push the "black and proud diva singer" bit so much, giving her pretty much all those songs.
    Cool to hear real a cappella groups like the Swingle singers during the show though.

And mashup? It's called a medley, ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

wet-paint wrote: »
    Yer man Finn is horribly mis cast. He has a horrible thin voice, and I shudder every time he gets a high note. He's twenty seven and looks it, playing a sixteen year old.
    Are they not seniors? I think he's a pretty decent actor tbh, but yeah he does look fairly old.
    It's also not believable that Rachel would be unpopular, her character isn't developed that way. Every tiem I see or hear something about her being un cool or unpopular, I just don't believe it. She's way too hot to be disliked.

She's ridiculously annoying, and as they highlight later in the series, dresses like a granny. I definitely think she could be unpopular.
    Shuester hands out ONE page of music every time, and they break into perfectly rehearsed and lip synced songs.

Haha yeah, I think it was a big mistake on behalf of the script writers to make them so good so quick. They've pretty much perfected DSB by the second episode.

• Advertisement

For some reason I believed he was sixteen, they could have said it in one of the episodes? Or I could be pulling that our of my ass. Either way, he's way too old for such a role.
    But the problem was not with his acting, which can be pretty wooden at times, it's just that he's meant to be the leader of the glee club, the star, and musically, he's left standing by pretty much every other member in it, except probably for asian football dude, who's only there cos he can dance.

Regarding Rachel, it's funny, we watched every episode over a hung over week in Kerry over New Year;s, and apart from the episode
    where Kurt tries to sex her up, and she's in a pant suit for effect, she's pretty much always wearing a mini skirt. She's got sweet ass legs, shows them off all the time, and is real good looking. I don't even find the annoying things about her ( the constant "I love singing, and have bred myself to be a singer" comments, and the quitting to join the musical)
    to be annoying at all. If anything, the quitting thing shows her to be just motivated towards her goal, which may not necessarily jive with that of the glee club. More pwer to her.

About the lack of rehearsal time shown, okay I know that they can't show accurately how a choir learns and performs music, this is tv, not real life, but at least once in thirteen episodes, they could have shown somebody who was not able to sight sing straight off the bat? They could have shown at least one rehearsal, where people are actually learning songs, Shuester is actually teachign something, rather than just choosing the music, or occasionally hte singer. As far as I can recall, that's basically what he does at Glee. They've got an accompanist and full bloody band every tiem they need it to run through lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just a note - if you're discussing episodes that haven't aired please use spoiler tags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

She's got sweet ass legs, shows them off all the time, and is real good looking.

She's no Britney

I've watched it all, and I've mixed feelings about it.
    Spoilers ahead.

Jane Lynch is just superb in it. She makes the show a LOT more tolerable. I'd say she writes her own script in it.
    Yer man Finn is horribly mis cast. He has a horrible thin voice, and I shudder every time he gets a high note. He's twenty seven and looks it, playing a sixteen year old. He's only four years youngerthan Shuester!

I agree here, Finn is one of the weakest characters and one of the weakest singers. I much prefer Artie's voice.
    The gay lad has an amazing voice, to the extent that it wasn't credible that he'd fcuk his line in Defying Gravity.
    Or that the bullying with the slushies would be tolerated so blatantly.

Kurt does have an impressive voice/range but he clearly says in that episode that he
    messes up the high note on purpose because of the phone call his dad got saying that his son was a "queer" (or something along those line). He feels if he sings a girls song that it will make everything worse so he purposely messes up the "diva off".

Tbh I do think that Rachel is irritating enough to be as unpopular as she is in the show. It doesn't matter how attractive someone is, if she's a jerk who wrecks your head, you won't want to hang out with her. Or at best you could only tolerate her for a short period of time.
    The entire football team put a ring on it thing? Ridiculous.
    This show is more high school musical than anything near a glee club. I'd hate to be in such a group, being effectively relegated to the role of a backing singer doo wopping in the background for ninety per cent of the songs.
    Mercedes is a fine singer, though I wish they didn't push the "black and proud diva singer" bit so much, giving her pretty much all those songs.
    Cool to hear real a cappella groups like the Swingle singers during the show though.

And mashup? It's called a medley, ffs!

I think the point is that some of it is supposed to be ridiculous. It's a tv show, made purposefully for entertainment value. It doesn't matter that a real Glee club doesn't actually function that way. Yes it's a little bit high school musical-esque but it's just a bit of fun. Would be nice if the music sounded a little less "produced" though,
    like in the episode where they're "jamming" to Goldigger.

And medley tends to imply more than two songs mixed together. I think they just went with mashup because it's the more "modern" term as can be seen splashed across youtube.

Would be nice if the music sounded a little less "produced" though

See your point and also in certain songs it does not look like the actors them selfs are singing!

They're not. It's all recorded earlier, and they're lip syncing. They may be the ones singing it, but what you see and what you hear aren't the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Karen blaney

I've watched the first four episodes of season one. I gotta say I love Glee. Great cast and an amazing soundtrack. I agree it can be a little bit cheesey but at the same time hilarious. I'm a self confessed Gleek :D

Yeah, I find ti way annoying how they just lip-synch over the actual album

They should do it like American Idol, the way they perform live, but the single would be produced

The lipsynching is cringeworthy sometimes

But they do need to suit a versatile audience, and a big chunk would come from HSM lovin teeny boppers

The show does however develop towards the latest aired episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 CabaretKitten

I heard about it on the "what the buck" show on youtube, n decided one day to find it online, next thing i know im hooked!! and watched the whole season in one night!!

Its sooo funny and just great plastic tv (like popular in the 90's, but with amazing musical numbers!!!)
    The characters are hilarious, especially Kurt!
    and it doesn't hurt that Mr Shue is Hawwwt!:P

Is 3e ahead of Tv3 because I saw an eposide a few days ago, one that I had not seen on TV3. It is the one where
    Kurt tells Mercedes that he is gay

Is 3e ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 roxykid07

padocon wrote: »

Is 3e ahead?

Yeah I think they are, they show it every Friday nite at 9 and then tv3 show it the following Wednesday nite.

E4 Is also showin it and Monday nite (18th) "Accafellas",ep 3 was shown. So for Ireland 3e is ahead.

I think glee is freakin awesomeee! :)
    I'm hooked to the soundtrack too !
    And for any wicked fans out there, idina menzel is on one of the tracks! Just amazinggggg!!

Offtopic slightly but.. I'm watching Music & Lyrics (for the cheese) and guess who's in it?
    Mr. Schuster!! Was just so random to see him
    Lookie and again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Don't suppose the soundtrack for the first half of Season 1 is available in any record shops here in Ireland?

Play.com have it on pre order, due for release 15th Feb this year so one assumes the shops here may not have it yet either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

star-pants wrote: »
    Offtopic slightly but.. I'm watching Music & Lyrics (for the cheese) and guess who's in it?
    Mr. Schuster!! Was just so random to see him
    Lookie and again

Goodness he looks awful in that!

I was listening to Kurt singing Defying Gravity last night and my oh my he really does sound like a girl! It's a lovely version actually. :)

fonpokno wrote: »
    Goodness he looks awful in that!

I was listening to Kurt singing Defying Gravity last night and my oh my he really does sound like a girl! It's a lovely version actually. :)
    Yeah, sure he is just playin himself on the show

They specifically wrote the part of Kurt for Chris. And the defying gravity debate happened to him in real life. He wasnt allowed sing it in school, but then his aunt or somethin let him sing it in her church choir
    [/nerd]

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I loved tonights episode :)
    The football team dancing at the game
    was just brillant! Cringeoworthy but couldn't take my eyes off them!

I loved tonights episode :)

Ah yes, that one is fairly awesome alright, good laugh and fair play!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I LOVE it! yes its cheesy but I love the music & it is pretty funny :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 markie24dublin

I love Glee.. I'm totally hooked.. very funny and the songs will be in your head for a long time haha.. loved the Single Ladies episode :) ohh and my favourite so far is the Mash-Up episode :)

Advertisement