Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santa's Sack...

Options
  • 28-12-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭

Christmas day is over, the wrapping paper has cleared and it's back to normality for most... and the big question remains - Did anyone get any good books for Christmas?

Any recommendations based on those books received from Mr. Claus or family members that you probably wouldn't have chosen for yourself but found curiously enjoyable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Last year I got the Wasp factory, which I definitely wouldn't have bought my self but found thoroughly enjoyable. This year I got a subscription to the London Book Review, of which I have yet to receive the first issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I said in another thread that I got myself Wolf hall by Hillary Mantal and I also bought Patrick Kavanagh's memoir/novel 'The Green Fool' (Should be interesting, I'm from the same part of Monaghan he grew up in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

I received 'South of the border, west of the sun'- Haruki Murakami and 'The thing around your neck' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Both get good reviews so looking forward to reading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I got Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess, Hiroshima by John Hersey and On The Beach by Nevil Shute. Earthly Powers is a really long book, so Im crawling through it. Its an excellent book however.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

My girlfriend bought me Becketts Trilogy and Updikes Rabbit Angstrom from the Everyman Library 100 Essentials series which will both have pride of place on my book shelf.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Well I didnt get any pressies of books this year... But i did hit the book depository this week and have bought the following... they are loosely based on recommendations from here.

Slaughterhouse 5, Kurt Vonneguy
    The Book Thief markus Zusack
    The cellist of sarajevo Steven Galloway
    and
    2666 roberto Bolano

€18 for the lot delivered!! A bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Loved Slaughterhouse 5 and The Book Thief - enjoy, Quality!

I didn't get any books for Christmas this year - not quite sure whether that was a blessing or a curse. I have got some money earmarked for books when I finally get to go shopping though, but the weather'll have to clear up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I was hesitant to post this, because really I've been a bit greedy book-wise this year. However, I received a big shipment of books that I bought with the money I received for Christmas and birthday combined today and felt I just had to share!

From Amazon (who when I compared to bookdepository was cheaper from Amazon surprisingly)

Andrew Davidson "The Gargoyle"
    Brandon Sanderson "The Well of Ascension: Mistborn Book Two"
    Diane Setterfield "The Thirteenth Tale"
    Sebastian Faulks "The Girl at the Lion d'Or"
    Patrick Rothfuss "The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Book 1: The Kingkiller Chronicle 1"
    Charles Dickens, et al "Hard Times (Wordsworth Classics)"
    Brandon Sanderson "The Hero of Ages (Mistborn Trilogy)"
    Yann Martel "Life of Pi"
    Joe Abercrombie "The Blade Itself: Book One Of The First Law

From persephonebooks.co.uk (who print the most beautiful books)

Mariana - Monica Dickens
    Saplings - Noel Streatfield
    Miss Pettigrew lives for a Day - Winifred Watson
    The Making of a Marchioness - France Hodgson Burnett
    The Children who lived in a barn - Eleanor Graham
    Fidelity - Susan Glaspell
    The Priory - Dorothy Whipple

And the various books I received as presents:

The Final Empire: Mistborn Book One - Brandon Sanderson
    The Ladies of Grace Adieu: and Other Stories - Susanna Clarke
    Europe: A History - Norman Davies
    The Edible Woman - Margaret Atwood
    My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead: Great Love Stories from Chekhov to Munro - Jeffrey Eugenides (ed)
    A Short History of Western Legal Theory JM Kelly
    Charlotte Gray - Sebastian Faulks
    Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

A good haul!!!

I have read Europe by Normal Davies, I will come back to it one of these days. Its obviously a very ambitious book, but I liked it a lot. Denerick put it well in a PM to me last year "don't think its possible to actually write a book like that." If your a history purist thats true, but I think for the casual reader an overview can be good as it is accessible enough. Its quite a large tome though :)

A good haul!!!

I have read Europe by Normal Davies, I will come back to it one of these days. Its obviously a very ambitious book, but I liked it a lot. Denerick put it well in a PM to me last year "don't think its possible to actually write a book like that." If your a history purist thats true, but I think for the casual reader an overview can be good as it is accessible enough. Its quite a large tome though :)

Haha! I've read parts of it and think its good. He does a good job at linking in the various advances in political science and their implementation in European politics, I suppose...

But then again its what he has to leave out that muddles the picture somewhat.

• Advertisement

A good haul!!!

Don't I know it, I can't even see my desk at the moment, a situation I should remedy, but everytime I see the books it just makes me happy :)
    Denerick wrote: »
    Haha! I've read parts of it and think its good. He does a good job at linking in the various advances in political science and their implementation in European politics, I suppose...

But then again its what he has to leave out that muddles the picture somewhat.

I was given it with the history of jurisprudence in the hopes that I can link the cultural and political events with their influence on legal theory. I'm really looking forward to it, my knowledge of history outside the leaving cert syllabus is fairly limited.

Holy Moly Lemon Sherbert!!

Thats you sorted for half of your 50 book challenge!!

So what do you do with your books when you are finished with them?

I am always trying to give away books.... Hate to see them sitting collecting dust...

Quality wrote: »

I am always trying to give away books.... Hate to see them sitting collecting dust...

I love looking at my collection of books. With dust its even better. (Gives them an archaic quality)

Denerick wrote: »
    I love looking at my collection of books. With dust its even better. (Gives them an archaic quality)

I just think that they would be so much better in someones hands, with their pages being turned... Being read...

Although, There are a few classics that I couldn't part with...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I need to go book shopping soon or my brain will melt. I have lots of books (on every available surface, both here and at home) but I still don't have anything I want to read when I finish what I'm currently reading.

Functional and pleasure books. Definitely doing more function this year!!

So what do you do with your books when you are finished with them?

I keep most of them, lend them to friends, my family. Every couple of years I do a cull and bring lots of them to the local charity shop. I can't bear to part with any books I really love though, I reread them, favourite passages or the whole book at a time

I am always trying to give away books

:eek: NEVER!!!!

I like having books on my shelf. My tendency to buy every book I read (as opposed to borrowing it from the library) has been labeled silly. They just don't understand :pac: Theres something nice and gooey about purchasing a book, and waking up in the morning and admiring ones library!

If your looking to get rid of books you could use Bookmooch to share books. If you set up one (or have one) we could share our profiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭knockane_ali09

i got picture perfect by jodi picoult its really good:)

i also went book shopping and got the millinium series by steig larsson so far i have read only the first book and its really good if you like crime thrillers

Advertisement