Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My car has died!

• 28-12-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭

Went to go out in the car today and it wouldn't start. Hasn't been driven in 2 days. Doesn't seem to be the battery as the radio and heater are working. Someone said that the petrol could have frozen, can this happen, and if so how do I check it? The mechanic I use is off till after the new year so I'm hoping for some advice here.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The batterys probably knackered. This weather kills batterys:( See will the lights work, see are they bright like under normal circumstances. Try push start the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Turn off yourradio and heater until ya get it started. Your only driaing the battery having them on when ya dont need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah my car failed to start there yesterday, hadn't been moved in a couple of days, it turned over a couple of times and died. Got the jumper leads out and it was alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭dcfc

Plug wrote: »
    The batterys probably knackered. This weather kills batterys:( See will the lights work, see are they bright like under normal circumstances. Try push start the car.

Lights working, can't push start it yet because my street is too icy!

dcfc wrote: »
    Lights working, can't push start it yet because my street is too icy!
    Is the engine turning over or anything? Is the starter clicking or is it just silence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Bet on the cold killing off your battery, if you can get a jump start,
    or even borrow a trickle battery charger that might get you back motoring.

Is the engine turning over or anything? Is the starter clicking or is it just silence?

It was turning over but not catching, but now, nothing. It makes a click noise and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Q2

My car is knackered too!! I thought it was the battery but it wasnt. The problem was, I forgot to put anti-coolent into the water in the engine and the water throughout the whole engine freezed up with the frost. If you think there is no anti coolent in the engine water, this could be the problem. Also, if you get the car going dont leave the engine running, this could completely ruin the engine.. Ive to drain all the water from the engine and replace the water .. with anti coolent this time of course!! Doh!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

My car failed this morning.

Got the jump leads out : connected wifes car to my car with jump leads.
    Let her car engine run for 15mins while connected to mine : tried to start my car and it started after a couple of attempts.
    Working fine since.

It was turning over but not catching, but now, nothing. It makes a click noise and thats it.
    And you had no problems before the cold weather, was it always starting first time? Its probably just the battery, just jump start it or get a charger on to it.

• Advertisement

And you had no problems before the cold weather, was it always starting first time? Its probably just the battery, just jump start it or get a charger on to it.

Neighbour out with jump leads as I type!

Neighbour out with jump leads as I type!
    Tell him to have his engine running for a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

Got the jumper leads out and it was alright.
    been that soldier;) twice so far this xmas

Q2 wrote: »
    . Also, if you get the car going dont leave the engine running, this could completely ruin the engine. :p
    can you explain this please. Thanks;)

If he gets the car running and the problem is, infact he has no anti coolent in the water in the engine, the water could be still frozen in the pipes and the engine will sieze up and be destroyed!

I mean.. he or she!! Sorry :rolleyes:

If he gets the car running and the problem is, infact he has no anti coolent in the water in the engine, the water could be still frozen in the pipes and the engine will sieze up and be destroyed!
    Thanks. i have anti freeze does that apply to me? Had to jump start and left running for a while. Cheers;)

I mean.. he or she!! Sorry :rolleyes:
    goes without saying;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

My car is knackered too!! I thought it was the battery but it wasnt. The problem was, I forgot to put anti-coolent into the water in the engine and the water throughout the whole engine freezed up with the frost. If you think there is no anti coolent in the engine water, this could be the problem. Also, if you get the car going dont leave the engine running, this could completely ruin the engine.. Ive to drain all the water from the engine and replace the water .. with anti coolent this time of course!! Doh!! :p

If there is little or no coolant in the engine, then at best the core plugs will pop out but at worst the engine block might crack with frozen water. Engine might be scrape then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Someone said that the petrol could have frozen, can this happen, and if so how do I check it?

Just to mention if you haven't learned since dcfc petrol would not freeze at the temperatures we have experienced in Ireland in the last few days... -10 to -11 degrees C as far as I'm aware. Temperatures would need to plummet to in excess of 60 degree C below freezing or -71.7 degree C to be scientifically precise for petrol to freeze. So I think you can rule that out as your problem. Road diesel sold in Ireland on the other hand will freeze at a higher temperature.

I will say if it is the battery I would advise that you replace it sooner rather than later. That is assuming you left nothing on that may have flattened the battery. I started my car today after it sitting idle for 4 or 5 days over Christmas, it started grand and the battery in it is far from new at this stage.

I would also suggest that if not the battery a likely cause of the problem is ice or damp in the electrical or ignition system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Quick diagnostic guide:

If your engine isn't turning over or turning over only very slowly on starting, its 99.9% the battery.

If the engine is turning over just fine but not firing up, it's 100% not the battery.

Turning the engine over via the starter motor demands a huge load from the battery. Only perfect batteries can provide that load on a cold day.
    Iffy batteries might have worked in 3 or 4 degrees, once it goes sub-zero they just give up.
    In that case, jump start the car and drive to your nearest battery supplier for a new one ...the old one is only going to get worse.

Twas the battery, have it running ages now and took it for a wee run there and its seems grand. That's my excuse gone now for not going to work tomorrow but thanks to everyone for the replies!

Twas the battery, have it running ages now and took it for a wee run there and its seems grand. That's my excuse gone now for not going to work tomorrow but thanks to everyone for the replies!
    Sorry for helping ya, now you will have to go to work:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Thats because the alternator has partially charged your battery when you took it for a spin.

Ha ha. your motoring again! Hopefully it won't or I mean will start grand for you tomorrow;)

Perhaps best to replace that battery though for fear it'll let you down again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

Good set of jump leads could be a good investment.

Got a set in my van have gotten several people goong with em over the year.

I have a set of jump leads i got in a tesco's breakdown pack. Used them once to jump start the neighbors car. Total rubbish, took a good few attempts & the leads themselves got very very hot & the spring in one clip is snapped.
    Must get a good set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Day before yesterday neither car would start. Bigger car Volvo had power left in the battery but wouldn't start, smaller Micra had nothing left.
    Managed to start the Micra using the battery from the Volvo (and jump cables) then start the Volvo when the Micra was running, still on jump leads.

This morning the Micra was totally dead. I have been meaning to get a new battery for it so off I went an got one for 79 euro.
    Now the starter will turn around but the engine won't fire up. Will look at it tomorrow. Probably ice somewhere.

Magnus wrote: »
    Day before yesterday neither car would start. Bigger car Volvo had power left in the battery but wouldn't start, smaller Micra had nothing left.
    Managed to start the Micra using the battery from the Volvo (and jump cables) then start the Volvo when the Micra was running, still on jump leads.

This morning the Micra was totally dead. I have been meaning to get a new battery for it so off I went an got one for 79 euro.
    Now the starter will turn around but the engine won't fire up. Will look at it tomorrow. Probably ice somewhere.

Try starting her in gear. Obviously if the car is in a confined space do not do this. If theres nothing in front crank her in first gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Will probably try to pull-start her using the bigger car.
    Hopefully it'll be above freezing tomorrow and she'll crank up fine then *fingers crossed* :)

Try starting her in gear. Obviously if the car is in a confined space do not do this. If theres nothing in front crank her in first gear.

What exactly will that achieve ? If it won't start cranking it in gear won't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Same happened today with OH's car
    battery- even though it's not that old....freezing temps and non-use for a few days appeared to be the combining factors...have heard of a number of instances of this..

RoverJames wrote: »
    What exactly will that achieve ? If it won't start cranking it in gear won't help.

Could possibly get the car started.

I dont understand the second sentence.

How will cranking a car in gear get it going if it won't start ?

How will cranking a car in gear get it going if it won't start ?

My mates car ran out of diesel a month ago, i went to help him, we got diesel into the car....it would not start. It was probably because something to do with the fuel pump being empty or something. The ignition system was cranking away but the engine would not fire.
    Anyway i jumped in, put her in gear tried the ignition & she started straight away.

I know this guy doesnt have the same problem but its worth a try.

• Advertisement

Difference being the prob with your buddies car was an airlock and not a flat battery ;)

Difference being the prob with your buddies car was an airlock and not a flat battery ;)

No your wrong there about the flat battery.;)
    Magnus wrote: »

Now the starter will turn around but the engine won't fire up.
    Will look at it tomorrow. Probably ice somewhere.

Magnus's battery is not flat if the starter is cranking. My suggestion was aimed at this guy not the OP.

Cranking it while in gear still won't start it though ;)

Cranking it while in gear still won't start it though ;)

Its worth a try.

Never presume. Post #38. ;););)

Fonecrusher1 I assume you mean clutch starting the car? i.e. pushing it or letting it down a hill with car in gear, ignition on and clutch in and then when you build up some momentum leaving clutch out? Quite obviously you could only do this with a car with a manual transmission. I'd be very surprised if even a car starting grand would start by putting it into first gear and cranking it while stationary but I'm sure stranger things have happened:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Don't bump start a petrol car! You can damage the cat.

Fonecrusher1 I assume you mean clutch starting the car? i.e. pushing it or letting it down a hill with car in gear, ignition on and clutch in and then when you build up some momentum leaving clutch out? Quite obviously you could only do this with a car with a manual transmission. I'd be very surprised if even a car starting grand would start by putting it into first gear and cranking it while stationary but I'm sure stranger things have happened:)

Nope, he actually means putting it in gear, foot off clutch and crank while stationary :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

groupb wrote: »
    Don't bump start a petrol car! You can damage the cat.
    The cat would be ok, the engine would be too cold for it to sleep under these days.

Nope, he actually means putting it in gear, foot off clutch and crank while stationary :)

I very much doubt that would work in hardly any car. At best the car would jerk forward somewhat and stall!

I agree, apparently he got his friends car going by doing that after it had ran out of diesel and refused to start when given some diesel, I presume there was air in the system, I reckon it had been 99% gotten rid of and it was sheer coincidence it started when he had a go :), and as you say how it didn't cut out again I'll never understand.

I agree, apparently he got his friends car going by doing that after it had ran out of diesel and refused to start when given some diesel, I presume there was air in the system, I reckon it had been 99% gotten rid of and it was sheer coincidence it started when he had a go :), and as you say how it didn't cut out again I'll never understand.

You can agree all you want with another poster. What i described earlier is exactly how it happened. Why would i lie?
    Not sure exactly what happened but i got it working. It was a last ditch effort.
    Im not one of these people who parrots textbook advice but really has very little practical knowledge.;)

You can agree all you want with another poster. What i described earlier is exactly how it happened. Why would i lie?
    Not sure exactly what happened but i got it working. It was a last ditch effort.
    Im not one of these people who parrots textbook advice but really has very little practical knowledge.;)

I think if you were honest you would have to admit you have no practical knowledge and also no textbook advice :)
    What happened when the car started ? Did it cut out again straight away or keep going ?

I think if you were honest you would have to admit you have no practical knowledge and also no textbook advice :)
    Yawn....not taking the bait. I honestly dont care what you think.
    What happened when the car started ? Did it cut out again straight away or keep going ?
    The car lurched forward & stalled immediately. Clutch in, gear into neutral, cranked ignition, engine started fine.
    The ignition was turning over unsuccessfully up until the point where i intervened.
    Not sure what happened but it worked.

The car lurched forward & stalled immediately. Clutch in, gear into neutral, cranked ignition, engine started fine.
    The ignition was turning over unsuccessfully up until the point where i intervened.
    Not sure what happened but it worked.

Just to clarify fonecrusher1 when you started the stationary car in gear it lurched forward and then stalled? Then you attempted to start the car od the key at which point it started for you? If this is the case as is the way I read it I reckon it was perhaps by sheer coincidence that the car started for you of the key and nothing necessairly to do with the fact you attempted to start the car in gear. Just my opinion...would by no means be an expert;)

Advertisement