Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Device for putting 35mm negatives on a PC

• 28-12-2009 5:51pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello.

Picked up a device today in some electronics store in Cork. It's not too bad, but I imagine it could be a lot better. Does anyone know of a good one to get old negatives on the computer?
    The one I have is an Arcsoft, ION Film2PC yoke, can't find it on the net, it's not the one with a built in display.

Does anyne have any experience with this? Wouldn't even mind getting a professional to do it if it's possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

You could bring them to a lab to be scanned for you?

Or buy a film scanner depending on how much film you have the scanner could work out cheaper but take alot longer.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Aldi or Lidl seem to stock them every so often. Haven't seen it in the last month though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Canon make very good film scanners, far better than those suggested here, but of course there is a cost involved. I have a Canon CanoScan 8800F and I can't fault it.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Scanners/Flatbed_with_Film_Scanning/canoscan_8800f/index.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

TJJP wrote: »
    Canon make very good film scanners, far better than those suggested here, but of course there is a cost involved. I have a Canon CanoScan 8800F and I can't fault it.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Scanners/Flatbed_with_Film_Scanning/canoscan_8800f/index.asp

I agree, I use this scanner at work and its fab. You can scan slide, negative- 35mm and 120. I have even scanned 110 negs with it no bother. Well worth the money. I think it was around €200 or so. You can scan photos and documents with it too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Great, thanks people.

I like the look of the Canon one. Is there any shop you know that sells it? I'm very impatient waiting for things to get delivered. Currys don't seem to do Canon, Argos don't do scanners that high end. Where else does electrical?

I think I might give up on the machine I bought and see if I can bring it back. The quality really is terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have the canon 8400f, which seems to be an older model of the 8800f? i paid €175 on komplett for it a few years ago.
    anyway, i don't bother scanning my colour 120 with it, because the colours come out so muddy. it's grand for b&w though. maybe they've fixed that on the 8800f.

I hope it's been fixed, because I'll be working in colour.

I have two HP all-in-one printers. Is the scanning, just of normal photos, really that much better in this to warrant the 200 Euro? My aim at the end is to print these in a photobook for the parents anniversary. So won't be blowing them up massive, but would like good quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you won't get 'proper' film scanning till you hit about €600 and upwards, i'm afraid...
    also, devices like that tend to hold their value well, and there's not a huge secondhand market.
    i'm still using a nikon i paid IRL£650 years and years ago.

Well film scanning isn't something I'm mad about, it's mostly photo scanning.
    I just wish I could use this scanner once on a normal photo and see if it's worth the extra.

Attached is an example of what the device I bought yesterday got me. I'm still unsure about whether or not I should return it. I have photoshop and I'm sure if I was more technically able I could make it better using that. Maybe the hardware I have and photoshop could get me good enough photos for what I need?

The file was a wonderful 10mb after being scanned by my device, so this is a slightly modified version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

i'm still using a nikon i paid IRL£650 years and years ago.
    Was that a Coolscan?

I was looking at the latest Nikon Coolscan and they're silly money > £2,500 GBP.

• Advertisement

yep, coolscanIII.
    the one you saw is probably the one that can take 120.

dory wrote: »
    The file was a wonderful 10mb after being scanned by my device, so this is a slightly modified version.
    that's truly appalling, assuming the original neg was in good nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

yep, coolscanIII.
    the one you saw is probably the one that can take 120.
    Is that the one with the SCSI I/F?

Would you recommend it? I've a load of 35mm negs I want to scan.

that's truly appalling, assuming the original neg was in good nick.

I wouldn't say 'good nick', it is 30 years old and has been sitting in a box. But it's not great. I couldn't afford the 2.500 one now, but seeing as this is so terrible, I think I'll return it if the shop will take it. I paid 60 Euro for the device, was down from 100 in the sales. I wasn't expecting great things, but I thought it would look decent enough.
    But as I said, my main thing will be normal photo scanning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Is that the one with the SCSI I/F?

Would you recommend it? I've a load of 35mm negs I want to scan.

I have a coolscan V, updated model of the above, USB interface. I got it for about the same price second hand a few years ago. They're probably the best scanners you can get for under a couple of thousand euros. If you have a ton of negatives though it'll take you a while, 6 strip batch scanning only. The 5000 is similar to the V but adds the ability to scan an entire roll at once. Probably not too useful to you given that your negs are probably cut and sleeved.
    If you have a LOT of negatives and you're willing to compromise on quality a bit then a new epson 750 might do the job. They can scan a whole roll (of 24 or 36, can't remember exactly ) in one batch.
    I have a canonscan 8600 for 120, never used it for 35mm and it has some trouble penetrating dense slides but it does okay at 2400 dpi for medium format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Another option, if you have one already, is to use a macro lens and a light box.

i've just taken the coolscan III (aka the LS-30) out of a drawer for the first time in over a year (was doing work on the house, everything was packed away), and it gave me a bit of a heart attack; making strange noises and refusing to work. i think it just needed a bit of limbering up.

i have the automatic strip feeder, which can scan six negs automatically, but never really used it - i heard stories that unless you keep it scrupulously clean, it can scratch your negs.
    given it's a ten year old machine, it's a great workhorse. 2700DPI, so it puts out 8MB greyscale/24MB colour uncompressed.

have just done a side by side scan of the two scanners - will try something green soon too, it seems to be the colour the canon struggles with most. but it didn't do too bad here:

nikon coolscan:
    nikon.jpg

canon 8400f:
    canon.jpg

both shots scanned more saturated than the original slide; but the cast (visible on the rocks behind) is spot on in the nikon, and too warm in the canon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Well film scanning isn't something I'm mad about, it's mostly photo scanning.
    I just wish I could use this scanner once on a normal photo and see if it's worth the extra.

Attached is an example of what the device I bought yesterday got me. I'm still unsure about whether or not I should return it. I have photoshop and I'm sure if I was more technically able I could make it better using that. Maybe the hardware I have and photoshop could get me good enough photos for what I need?

Any chance you could do a raw scan of the negative and post it? If the scanner allows it. Might give a better indication of the performance of the scanner and what you get out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

have just done a side by side scan of the two scanners - will try something green soon too, it seems to be the colour the canon struggles with most. but it didn't do too bad here:

both shots scanned more saturated than the original slide; but the cast (visible on the rocks behind) is spot on in the nikon, and too warm in the canon.

Also shadow detail on the nikon is considerably better. More detail apparent (even looking at it screen size) on the nikon scan aswell, despite its alledgedly lower DPI.

• Advertisement

the nikon has a collimated beam, so will pick out more detail - one being dust, which is more obvious on the nikon scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

dory
    This is an old negative scanned with an ION film 2 PC like what you are using.
    Its reasonable quality
    4225697644_cf9225da8b.jpg

Decided to do a comparision between fuji lab scans and £100 plustek film scanner I got a while back.
    If I was back again, I'd probably go for something like the Canon 8800F, just for the ability to scan more frames at a time and to have IR dust removal.

Fuji lab SP-2000
    D0EB4C17A14C487CAEE46031593E1739-800.jpg
    Plustek 7200 processed from raw scan
    2BCD36C28B9A4EDEA0C483FC0B206BD3-800.jpg
    Fuji lab
    1B1118B504EB41F9A33D2CC4B3E5BDCC-800.jpg
    Plustek 7200 direct from scanner
    3F38198D0BD949A2B637FEE801304D82-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Here's one from a friends Plustek OpticFilm 7300 ( a dedicated 35mm scanner), and we're still trying to figure out the best possible settings to scan at !! (Pic was taken with an Olympus OM10 & 50mm lens).

C61F40AD33DE4209ABF28593BD0E9A24-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Great, thanks people.

I like the look of the Canon one. Is there any shop you know that sells it?

Conns is an option: http://www.connscameras.ie/Scanners-!45-cat.html

(Sorry, just realised you might be in Cork so Conn's won't be much use. A good camera store should have it though.)

we're still trying to figure out the best possible settings to scan at !! (Pic was taken with an Olympus OM10 & 50mm lens).

I have the same problem or did, the silverfast software is great but can be tough to find the best balance with so many settings

Advertisement