Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen

• 28-12-2009 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im looking to get a new kitchen fitted. I have been to b&q and Homebase so far, there is also cash and carry. Does anyone have any opinions on the above 3 suppliers ? or a recommendation of another supplier ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It is going back 8 years now, but when I was fitting out a new build house. The first places I looked, thinking they would be cheaper, were a couple places like Cash and Carry Kitchens.

I also got a quote from a dedicated kitchen place and they ended up being a lot cheaper for a higher grade of fittings.

I could recommend somewhere in the midwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I will take any suggestions, they may deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

what part of the country are you in??? inhouse paneling centre are good enough at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Smoggy wrote: »
    Hi,

Im looking to get a new kitchen fitted. I have been to b&q and Homebase so far, there is also cash and carry. Does anyone have any opinions on the above 3 suppliers ? or a recommendation of another supplier ?

Thanks

I've looked at some kitchens in IKEA Belfast, they look great along with prices not sure what end result is like tho. All down to person fitting I guess. IKEA in Dublin seems to have less a range. Their is a few other places less obvious, joinery type shops but depends on where your from?

I took a trip to B&Q recently, had to pick up work top, 50 stg for 600mm x 3mtr, 25 stg for stainless steel sink, 23 stg for taps, chap in B&Q even cut work top to match lengths needed.

I've always bought from local hardware. B&Q prices have stunned me recently, used to think stuff was less quality but after purchasing its just as good if not better.

I know a developer one of the good ones during the boom time, all houses built were finished with B&Q kitchens, part of the craic was having new trades men guess where kitchens came from, not many could come to terms with the kitchens coming from B&Q. All in a good sense.

All the kitchen stuff out there is only as good as person fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

Check out Heavin's hardware, Dublin road, Athlone, I got my kitchen there after looking all the same businesses as you have considered. Heavin's kitchen is much better quality for the same money. I assembled and fitted it myself. Had no issues with any part of it and no missing parts, plus a genuine "any problems come back and we'll sort it out". Family run business, no bs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I got my first kitchen in Cash and Carry, all my family have since. Never had any trouble. There fitters were good as well. I delt with dave in Blanchardstown. He comes across as confident and cockey but I liked this and I rec them. I had an issue with a scratched unit and found the delivery lads rude but I was more interested in the quality and found this fine. They are very expensive for extras later so tray get all ideas done at once.

My mother in law used h line kitchens. Nice kitchen. No problems

My Brother in law buys everything in B&Q and fits it himself. He bought his kitchen in cash and carry so this is a judgement on b&q to me

My current kitchen is from Woodcraft kitchens in navan also called A woodcraft kitchens in naven. Drop around to me to see all the reasons not to buy a kitchen from them.

I will take any suggestions, they may deliver.

I got my kitchen from Celtic Kitchens in Limerick. They installed all the cabinets and I supplied and did all the work on the maple worktops sinks, hob etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i fitted a kitchen from B&Q and cant personally recommend it. very bad fitting parts . making the pelmet a nightmare to get right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Ouch - mixed bag of info

Thanks for all the info. Im in Dublin, Clondalkin and willing to travel to find a good kitchen supplier / fitter.

The in laws have a kitchen of solid walnut doors for a medium / large kitchen installed (in cork) for 3.5k. There are deals out there and the same must be achievable in Dublin. Even if I need to travel to see the kitchen and the company will deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

I am not sure what I should say in this thread. I would like to give you an option but I do not want to break any forum rules. There are lots of kitchen companies that you could choose from. Apart from the price what are your other concerns. Have you thought about the electrical works, plumbing, tiling, plastering, painting, waste removal. These are the offshoot works that can come with a new kitchen. If you want to pm me I will give you some personal advice, as this is my area of expertise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

Ouch - mixed bag of info

Thanks for all the info. Im in Dublin, Clondalkin and willing to travel to find a good kitchen supplier / fitter.

The in laws have a kitchen of solid walnut doors for a medium / large kitchen installed (in cork) for 3.5k. There are deals out there and the same must be achievable in Dublin. Even if I need to travel to see the kitchen and the company will deliver.

3.5k for solid walnut? That sounds unreal value. My guy is quoting over double that, also for a medium / large kitchen, but with MDF panelling! The extras he's including are
    • bespoke design (unusual layout to room)
    • an island (if that is even an extra anymore)
    • a carbon filter instead of standard extractor
    • a large, bespoke overmantle
    • some press doors have glass
    Am I being screwed :confused:

40701085 wrote: »
    • a carbon filter instead of standard extractor
    Am I being screwed :confused:

You want an extractor that vents to the outside of the building, not something with a carbon filter that recirculates room air.

Apart form that, I would say, yes, you are being screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 joinerydivision

Hi there, I've fitted all 3 types of kitchen, and they are all good, but the disavantage with B&Q/Homebase is that unless you choose on the 'off the rack' kitchens (they tend to keep approx 6 of each in store) you may be waiting up to 6 weeks for deliver. On a couple of occasions, my customers have ordered B&Q/Homebase kitchens and they have had to be shipped in from the UK. And of course, if anything gets damaged or a part is missing, you can end up waiting for the replacement parts to be delivered. That said, they are good kitchens and when they all arrive quickly and with all parts, my customers have been really happy with them.

Cash and Carry are good, I've fitted quite a few of them too and never had any issues with them.

Ikea is also a good option, and they have a good online kitchen planner which can help you to ensure you have everything you need before you hand over any money. they always have plenty of stock too which speeds things up.

Overall, I'd say having fitted all 4 brands, the quality are all good and you shouldnt have any problems in that respect. Its just a case of being aware of delivery times and access to extra parts with the ones that have to get sent from the UK

If you need any more advice just drop me a PM.

Cheers,
    Lee

Hi there, I've fitted all 3 types of kitchen, and they are all good, but the disavantage with B&Q/Homebase is that unless you choose on the 'off the rack' kitchens (they tend to keep approx 6 of each in store) you may be waiting up to 6 weeks for deliver. On a couple of occasions, my customers have ordered B&Q/Homebase kitchens and they have had to be shipped in from the UK. And of course, if anything gets damaged or a part is missing, you can end up waiting for the replacement parts to be delivered. That said, they are good kitchens and when they all arrive quickly and with all parts, my customers have been really happy with them.

Cash and Carry are good, I've fitted quite a few of them too and never had any issues with them.

Ikea is also a good option, and they have a good online kitchen planner which can help you to ensure you have everything you need before you hand over any money. they always have plenty of stock too which speeds things up.

Overall, I'd say having fitted all 4 brands, the quality are all good and you shouldnt have any problems in that respect. Its just a case of being aware of delivery times and access to extra parts with the ones that have to get sent from the UK

If you need any more advice just drop me a PM.

Cheers,
    Lee

Are you the same lee that worked for Tierney kitchens....

nope that isnt me, i work for myself and before I moved to Ireland I was in London at a joinery company. Havent heard of Tierney Kitchens, are they a supplier you would recommend? always good to hear of new sources of materials. thanks joey.

nope that isnt me, i work for myself and before I moved to Ireland I was in London at a joinery company. Havent heard of Tierney Kitchens, are they a supplier you would recommend? always good to hear of new sources of materials. thanks joey.

I knew lee it was an unusual name thats why I asked.

its common as muck where i come from unfortunatly (england). sorry that is going off topic...

Just another thing I thought of about C&C kitchens which might be of interest Smoggy - they will pre-assemble your kitchens. I dont tend to take them up on this as I prefer to do it all myself. But its worth asking them as it might save time and money - hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I built a B&Q kitchen a few years back. Still looks good, wasn't planning on doing the full kitchen but you know how one thing rolls into another.

Make sure when you pick your kitchen that all the items are in stock. I got caught out with the oven cabinet, no stock in Liffy Valley, staff said just keep checking every week. Got them next day in Newry. It's worth checking out the price difference up north

Advertisement