Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 1 Tonite at 6.55pm

• 28-12-2009 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi,

In case anyones interested there's a programme on RTE tonite at 6.55pm called the Summer of 69. National Geographic photographer Jim Sugar returns to Ireland 40 years after his first visit to see how the countrys people and places have changed (through his photographs). If you dont catch it tonite Im sure you'll get it on Player later.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

Thanks for that I'll tune into it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Sounds like thatsthe guy my uncle in law sat beside on a plane the other day coming from the US as he was a Nat Geographic photog and wasd heading to photograph Kerry to try to get a different photo from all the cliches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Not sure that was it Rory. He was all over Ireland retaking a series he did in 69. It was pretty interesting :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i only half kept an eye on it; half because it didn't seem as interesting as i'd hoped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I really enjoyed that. It showed the value of Documentary Photography & how the ordinary can so quickly become extraordinary.

The Funeral Shots reminded me of similar shots taken by Bill Doyle many years earlier.

• Advertisement

sineadw wrote: »
    Not sure that was it Rory. He was all over Ireland retaking a series he did in 69. It was pretty interesting :)

Seems to be a different guy all right

Very interesting to see the programme and how things have changed in Ireland in last 40 years.

The photographs of the island funeral were very powerful

Sounds like his job would be fascinating

And good to see he used a D300 :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Thought it was good...would like to have seen more of the old photographs though- considering 10,000 were taken...any idea was/will a book be produced....Jims website below....

http://web.mac.com/jimsugar1/Jim_Sugar_Photography/Jim_Sugar_Photography.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Excellent programme.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

RoryW wrote: »
    And good to see he used a D300 :-)

I thought it was a D700.

See ... you buy into a system. Nearly every Photojournalist in the late 60's would have been shooting with the Nikon F, so I assume Jim Sugar would have as well.

CabanSail wrote: »
    I thought it was a D700.

See ... you buy into a system. Nearly every Photojournalist in the late 60's would have been shooting with the Nikon F, so I assume Jim Sugar would have as well.

Well if it is a D300 or D700, that is where the similarity in our photography ends...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

It was a D300 I saw (according to the strap). His older photos were great.

Anyone know what lens that was he was using on the DSLR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Watching it now, very enjoyable. Loved the island photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Looks very similar to this lens actually: Nikon 70-200 F2.8G: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/nikon_70-200_2p8_vr_n15/page3.asp
    ...but the photos themselves looked much wider than 70mm. :confused:

Screenshot here show's it's a D300...
    screenrx.jpg

It's Christmas... I've way too much time on my hands! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

foto joe wrote: »
    His older photos were great.
    to be fair, he took 10,000. he's bound to have some good ones in that bunch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Available until 18th of Jan.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1063294

• Registered Users Posts: 41 broad_sword

What a great 50mins of television. Would love to see the rest of the photos taken 40 years ago - would defo pick up a book of those images if they were ever published.

Advertisement