Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIPES AIRLOCKED

• 28-12-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

How can i get rid of an airlock in the pipes, the pipes are airlocked and there is no water going to the taps inside the house

Help!!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

j3enni wrote: »
    How can i get rid of an airlock in the pipes, the pipes are airlocked and there is no water going to the taps inside the house

Help!!:confused:

Haven't much time tonight, have a look at my older posts by clicking on my name, first 10 or so. Look for the heading, Flooding, plumbing and heating problems, something like that. In that thread I've a whole list of different ways to remove air locks, just scroll through pages, you'll find everything you need there.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi J3
    Quick fix is to trace the pipe work and find the highest point in the pipe work. this is where the air lock is,
    EG; there is a hump in the pipe work between the tank and the tap trapping air.
    Find the nearest Joint and unscrew slowly but not all the way. the air will be released and replaced with water.
    you might have to do this a few times to remove all the air.
    In time you can fit an air vent in this location and solve the problem for good.
    Let me know how you get on.

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 48,251 ✭✭✭✭km79

how would you know there is an airlock? ive no water since xmas day assumed it was frozen pipe but neighbours back now not ours no evidence of any leaks

Check the tank in your attic, is it full or empty.
    NOTE; the cold water in your kitchen sink is direct off the mains so if there is no water there then your water is frozen out side.

CC

thanks for reply tank is almost empty but not quite and have stopped using everything. on the other point any tips for defrosting pipes apart from throwing kettle water down stop cock . i have no exposed external pipes the stop cock is about a foot under ground?

• Advertisement

Have you cold water in kitchen sink.?

no

Ok .Its Frozen out side ,
    Quick fix . HOT water Down Stop Cock.
    Then leave tap running very slow all night .

Cc

tried that four kettle fulls of lukewarm then hot but not boliling water nothing happened . i have heard that there might be problems with pressure on our mains water scheme but as i said neighbours is back

try turning off the valve, if its hard to close it frozen

cc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

km79 wrote: »
    tried that four kettle fulls of lukewarm then hot but not boliling water nothing happened . i have heard that there might be problems with pressure on our mains water scheme but as i said neighbours is back

Not so long ago a poster came on with same problem, no water but next door had.

Each house is different, your mains pipe work could be different than next door, Like the other poster, you might find your mains will come back on by itself.

Prob still frozen, you could have a frost plug underground, really not much you can do until ground temp rises.

Something comes to mind if your really stuck, although I've never tried it. You could close of your outside stop cock, break open mains pipe work in house and try to drive hot water back into mains, you'd need a pressurized hot water supply, attic tank supply would not be enough. Not something I would try, only mention this as a bigger frost is coming up over next few days, desperate times only call for desperate solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 j3enni

ccsolar wrote: »
    Hi J3
    Quick fix is to trace the pipe work and find the highest point in the pipe work. this is where the air lock is,
    EG; there is a hump in the pipe work between the tank and the tap trapping air.
    Find the nearest Joint and unscrew slowly but not all the way. the air will be released and replaced with water.
    you might have to do this a few times to remove all the air.
    In time you can fit an air vent in this location and solve the problem for good.
    Let me know how you get on.

CC

hay cs

Thanks v much that worked all is working properly now

Thanks very much

Advertisement