Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell ST2410 24" Full HD Widescreen Monitor = 183 Euro

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

shoutman wrote: »
    Ordered this two days ago and it arrived today!
    Very nice so it is.

No fair! Mine hasn't arrived yet. Wont have my fancy monitor for the weekend :(

Take it it is working out well for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Yep, does the job, still have to go up to power city and get a hdmi cable for it though, then i'll have dual monitors, totally unnecessary, but I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Took the plunge !!! Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭ablelocks

fyi, this monitor got a sunday times best buy in todays in gear section. i can't find an online link to the article - but here's a selection of comments :
    dell was the best all rounder....(still) image quality is excellent, with bright colours and fine contrast and detail. fast moving games were blur free and it was good with video too...more energy efficient than most rivals....excellent value for money

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article6989649.ece

Link to the article above that Ablelocks refers to - I'm even happier that I ordered one now !!!

• Advertisement

This arrived late on Friday so had it for the weekend after all.

Its excellent. Playing an Xbox on HD is a whole different experiece. Thanks OP for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Just took mine out of the box. It only comes with the standard VGA lead, so I'll need to pick up a HDMI cable.

If I want to switch input easily between the Xbox and the PC, where should I look for one of those 3-way switchers?

peckerhead wrote: »
    Just took mine out of the box. It only comes with the standard VGA lead, so I'll need to pick up a HDMI cable.

As far as I know HDMI cables are normally sold seperaty. Don't go spending anything over €15 on one though. A cheap cable delivers the same picture quality as an expensive one, depite what some guy in PC World might say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Oh indeed! :D

I'm thinking two of these and one of these. Look OK?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

watch out on this. its cheap for a reason, anyone into video or photo editing i'd give this a miss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I think I'd like to buy this but am not sure yet.

Anyone used it with a PS3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

peckerhead wrote: »

If I want to switch input easily between the Xbox and the PC, where should I look for one of those 3-way switchers?

Aldi had them i know the shop in castletroy Limerick still has about 15 left so i reckon a good root around the Aldi's might unearth one. Think they where 15 euro.

watch out on this. its cheap for a reason, anyone into video or photo editing i'd give this a miss

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭ablelocks

why so? and can you recommend a monitor for photo editing then?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

The ST2410 is cheap compared to high end monitors of the same size because it is NOT a high end monitor. It uses a cheap TN type panel, which is not recommended for photo editing. The main problem with TN panels is the (very) small viewing angle, which causes you to see uneven lighting across the screen. Also, colors do not display the same way when viewed from a different angle. These characteristics are particularly undesirable when working with photos on a (fairly) large screen.

The DELL Ultrasharp U2410 would be a much better choice for photo editing, but I must admit that this is not a truly cheap monitor. It offers excellent value for money, though. A similarly good choice in the "midprice" range of monitors would be the HP LP2475W. Both these monitors have IPS type panels, which are generally considered to be the best choice for serious photo (and video) editing.

The DELL Ultrasharp U2410 would be a much better choice for photo editing, but I must admit that this is not a truly cheap monitor. It offers excellent value for money, though. A similarly good choice in the "midprice" range of monitors would be the HP LP2475W. Both these monitors have IPS type panels, which are generally considered to be the best choice for serious photo (and video) editing.

And how much does that cost?

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    And how much does that cost?

alot more. just a heads up bout the quality of the screens. I'm sure theres cheaper, it depends on what ya want the screen for, for games and movies i'd be all for this, photos, id steer clear

alot more. just a heads up bout the quality of the screens. I'm sure theres cheaper, it depends on what ya want the screen for, for games and movies i'd be all for this, photos, id steer clear

Just checked. Its €664

Really not in the same league at all. Like comparing a Fiat Punto to a Merc. It seems to be that this is an excellent value entry level monitor.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Just checked. Its €664

Really not in the same league at all. Like comparing a Fiat Punto to a Merc. It seems to be that this is an excellent value entry level monitor.

large crt would be better quality, its a big poor quality screen, depends what your after

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭bohspunks

got one of these, definite issue with it being dark if you are looking at the screen from below - fine if you sit upright at a desk but a pain if you want to watch a film and you want to sink down in your sofa.

• Advertisement

Sold!

Mine arrived today - works perfectly with the PS3. Good sound from the headphone socket also.
    I have tried movies and games and both perfect.
    Have it connected to the PC via DVI and all good so far. Jut have to get used to all that extra space on the desktop.
    No problem with dark areas on the screen. Must do a check for dead pixels.

Edit : No dead pixels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hi,

I ordered a monitor on the 23rd of Jan, order status says in production and the estimated delivery date is the 24th of Feb :confused:

How long have people waited on delivery?
    I presumed these would be available off the shelf without any production time.

Thanks.

Neilw wrote: »
    Hi,

I ordered a monitor on the 23rd of Jan, order status says in production and the estimated delivery date is the 24th of Feb :confused:

Thanks.

I ordered on the 16th Jan ( Saturday) it was desptched on the monday and arrived on Wednesday 20th Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

large crt would be better quality, its a big poor quality screen, depends what your after
    Ah good old CRT. Is it still possible to source these new from somewhere?
    Disappeared off the face of the earth as far as I can see.

Neilw wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

I ordered mine on 20th Jan and have an estimated delivery of 19th Feb. Also it's still in production.

Seems most people on here recieved their's within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Price has gone up to €228.

Why didnt I order one earlier.. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

iggy wrote: »
    Price has gone up to €228.

Why didnt I order one earlier.. :mad::mad:

I got in at the right time so :) I paid €177.97 for one.

Mine's been dispatched. I can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Anyone know if this monitor is likely to be on sale at the €177 price again?

I would have bought it at €180 ... I'll hold off if it's €230.

Advertisement