Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most popular programmes used for animation college courses?

Options
  • 28-12-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

what are the most common software/programmes used in college courses for animation?:confused:
    I'm trying to figure out the spec my laptop will need.., considering Ballyfermot college of further education or Dun Laoghaire next year!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

in ireland its 3ds max for 3d anyway - but in the bigger picture forget about that and learn maya if you want a good job in 3d animaiton

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

if your going to apply for Ballyer you'd be using flipbook for classical animation and studio max and flash for computer animation. You'll also be using programs like TV paint, Animo, Toon Boom, Photoshop, illustrator etc...as I said on the other thread no point in throwing money at something until your actually on the course. The program at Ballyer is 50/50 classical and computer animation and you'd be hard to find a laptop that will run all the programs so better to wait and see. If your coming from leaving cert you'll be doing ADS to start anyway which is very little animation and alot of drawing [drawing and painting, location drawing and life drawing] to get your basic drawing skills up to the level needed for animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭_Chaos

ztoical wrote: »
    if your going to apply for Ballyer you'd be using flipbook for classical animation and studio max and flash for computer animation. You'll also be using programs like TV paint, Animo, Toon Boom, Photoshop, illustrator etc...as I said on the other thread no point in throwing money at something until your actually on the course. The program at Ballyer is 50/50 classical and computer animation and you'd be hard to find a laptop that will run all the programs so better to wait and see. If your coming from leaving cert you'll be doing ADS to start anyway which is very little animation and alot of drawing [drawing and painting, location drawing and life drawing] to get your basic drawing skills up to the level needed for animation.

cool, thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

marktsang wrote: »
    in ireland its 3ds max for 3d anyway - but in the bigger picture forget about that and learn maya if you want a good job in 3d animaiton

Since Autodesk bought Maya they're both going to merge together at some point hopefully. Max2010 has brought in quite a few of the useful tools from Maya, and thats surely a sign of things to come.

I have 10+ years using max and 5+ using Maya (never at the same time though!) and I'd say Max is certainly the easier to learn and the easiest to use. But If i had to use only one I would probably pick maya, but its close.

I've never used either on a laptop. But I supose you can.

Advertisement