Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem setting up wireless connection

Options
  • 28-12-2009 7:25pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm one of those people who shouldn't be allowed buy Wireless routers lol. I'm trying to set up a wireless network at home but I am failing at the very last step. Customer support was dire so I though I would tap into the collective knowledge of my fellow boardsies.

Information
    -I bought a Belkin N wireless router starter kit

-I live in an apartment block with a shared internet connection. The modem is apperently in the wall so I usually just connect the network cable from wall to PC and the internet works.

-I have all the wires connected to the wireless router, so that the router is connected to the modem in the wall and the ruter is connected to the PC.

-When I run the setup, I easily pass the first 5 checks (1. Checking settings on computer and router, 2. Verifying hardware connections, 3. Naming your network, 4. Requesting Internet Account Info, 5., Configuring the Modem). However, when I try to finish the sixth part (checking connection to the internet), it says that it cannot verify the information that I have given. I have all the correcct information.

-When all this is going on, the router seems to be emitting the wireless signal as my Sony Viao laptop can detect it but cannot connect.

Has anyone had a similar problem? If you need any more information, please ask!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

These things are usually straightforward. Make sure your wall connection goes to WAN port on router, and PC to a LAN port, assuming you PC doesn't have wifi.More info would be good.....open a command prompt and type:
    ipconfig /all
    and post the output,
    you should probably get an IP address like 192.168.0.1 from most routers if all goes well.
    also check your network connection properties to be using DHCP (get a local address automatically)
    you should also be able to visit your routers web interface from your browser at a similar address to above, look for Default Gateway in ipconfig's output

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

hi Bonzodog,

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\User>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Tony
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-76-6D-84-8C
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 28, 2009 8:40:09 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 19, 2038 3:14:07 AM

I was trying to connect using PPPoE which is what I use for all my wired connections.

One thing I cannot do is restart my modem, which is required before I plug anything into the router. The modem is located inside the wall of the apartment. Everything seems to go well up until it says it does not accept the information I have given (username, password, internet provider).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Who is Your isp?

Do You dial pppoe to connect to the net when connected by cable to Your pc? If so, then input the username and password into the router, leave the internet provider or service name blank and set it to stay connected (not on demand).

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Who is Your isp?

Do You dial pppoe to connect to the net when connected by cable to Your pc? If so, then input the username and password into the router, leave the internet provider or service name blank and set it to stay connected (not on demand).

Internet provider is IMS. When I use wired connection, I use PPPoE. I think I have already tried what you said, but I'm going to try again and report back.

EDIT: Yep, doesn't work

• Advertisement

Dunno how, but I got this working...I switched the cables around so the old internet cable I had now connects the router to the PC and not to the router.

My laptop has detected the signal and I am posting this via wireless connectiojn. My PS3 is also now online wirelessly.

I have also finished the set up. However, I'm scared to turn off the pc in case I have to do it all again...should the whole thing be working when I restart my PC?

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

FutureGuy wrote: »
    One thing I cannot do is restart my modem, which is required before I plug anything into the router. The modem is located inside the wall of the apartment. Everything seems to go well up until it says it does not accept the information I have given (username, password, internet provider).

How odd !
    If you think you need to restart the modem, you could turn off the main power switch/breaker/fuse etc in your apartment

Advertisement