Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Nutritionist wanted "pet Deli"

Options
  • 28-12-2009 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi Guy’s,
    I’m looking to find someone that can advise me about animal nutrition as I am planning to start a business involving providing fresh food for pets. I would be willing to pay for this advice and would ask anyone that is qualified in this area to contact me via pm.
    I plan on opening a “Pet Deli” providing fresh food provided daily and available in a pet deli. There would be various foods available for pets with special needs also like low fat products for overweight pets etc. I would love to hear everyone’s opinions on this idea as I have a lot of pets and know how bad all the pre-packed cans and sachets are for cats and dogs with most only providing 4% of the contents being actual meat or fish..so the other 96% is what...... I Don’t plan to open this deli in Ireland as I don’t think there is a market for it currently in Ireland but I do know that there is a market for it in other large city’s around the world. To a lot of people it is just as important to provide good food to there pets as it is to there family and it is also nice to give them more choice and new food experiences.
    Anyway feedback welcome......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I think it's a good idea, in the right market. You're so right though wouldn't be worth your while opening in Ireland.

Perhaps have a chat with some vets, some have experience with animal nutrition as well or might be able to put you in the right direction.

I'm not sure if many people would go daily somewhere to pick up food for their dog but if there was enough of a population in a dog friendly city then passers by might if there was a sit down area.

Providing dog cookies and treats to go would probably sell as they will last the week and still stay fresh. There's a lot of dog food on the market now that's been improved on but it's still hard to get good quality treats sometimes.

Grain, dairy and wheat free type food seem to be popular now although some dog foods are low in meat and protein it's because a regular house dog doesn't need it because they aren't as active or aren't working and out and about like some dogs are.

So many meals and treats etc. you could come up with if possible choosing organic and free range meats esp. now the price of them has come down.
    But making food taste good to dogs by adding a low salt meat stock, herbs, safe spices.

I make dog treats for fun, mainly for our own dogs, they aren't selling so have pretty much given up on that for now. However it's great fun coming up with new recipes anyone can try them at home.

Latest one, if I can find all the ingredients (whereever you set up make sure you can get your hands on the basics easily like rice and potatoe flour etc.) is bolognese biscuits if I can get my hands on potatoe flour will make it with real beef stock, olive oil, tomatoe etc.

Best of luck with your venture though, if you can find a market for it then it should be popular and then perhaps branch out by selling treats online etc.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Would be for cats and dogs and in some countrys people would never think of feeding there pets canned foods. Yea my local vet is probably the best person to ask about recommending someone I could get advice from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cats can be more fussy so fresh food would appeal more to them, although adding a bit of cat nip to treats can help lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

Advertisement