Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L.P.'s in your attic/ spare room or whatever

Options
  • 28-12-2009 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Giving my age away here, but anyone have old L.P.'s buried/ stored that they feel proud to still have and wouldn't want to give away, even though you may not have played them for years?
    I have about fifty such albums, mostly from the 70's and 80's. Some would be what many would consider well-hakneyed ones like Cat Stevens, Stevie Wonder, and Bob Marley.
    But my most prized L.P.'s would be by less obvious candidates such as:

Original Soundtrack by 10cc (brilliant production, crystal-clear sound)

Queen's Greatest Hits (ditto)

Don Quijote by Gordon Lightfoot (really talented song-writer)

The Wall by Pink Floyd (a classic)

Home Thoughts From Abroad by Clifford T Ward

(Various others, throw in a few classical albums as well).

There was one L.P. I had but which mysteriously disappeared many moons ago, much to my dismay...it was by Horslips and it had a really unsusual and elaborate multi-page cover. The album was called "Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part".
    (I used to be nostalgic in the good ol' days and all that!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

Have that Horslips album myself on vinyl. Picked it up on e-bay a few years ago. Also found a copy of "the Wall" in Prague last year.
    Get em down from that attic and give them a spin!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I have about 200 LP's, most of which I would not part with. About 80% are jazz/blues, and the rest a mix of everything (Van, Jethro Tull, Blodwyn Pig, Paul Brady, Al Stewart, Christie Moore etc). I find myself buying cd copies of my vinyl to play in the car. I bought some software on E Bay, that lets you record your LP's to cd, but so far have not had much luck getting it to work. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Rigsby wrote: »
    I have about 200 LP's, most of which I would not part with. About 80% are jazz/blues, and the rest a mix of everything (Van, Jethro Tull, Blodwyn Pig, Paul Brady, Al Stewart, Christie Moore etc). I find myself buying cd copies of my vinyl to play in the car. I bought some software on E Bay, that lets you record your LP's to cd, but so far have not had much luck getting it to work. :(

I have around 1500 here next to me as i type this and probably another 1000 or so in storage in my parents' attic... Jealously eyeing their record collections too for future assimilation (tend to borrow the odd crate of jazz every once in a while in return for digitising them - if you have any questions at all about how to digitise your vinyl perfectly just go and ask over on the dance / electronic forum, it's a pretty easy job (it's somewhat tedious, although mind you it's a great excuse to sit down and methodically listen to everything you own while you record it into your PC)

No need to go buying software for it either, there's plenty of free software that will do just as good a job, it's just a question of setting your recording chain up properly.

Advertisement