Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Xbox360 Drive Change Question

Options
  • 28-12-2009 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

As the title suggests guys (wittness & touching :D), my 360 today has started developing dre's during games, and aborting back to the dashboard. I done a teardown of the drive, manually cleaned the lens etc. This made an improvement, but ultimately not for long.

Thusly, it would appear I need to swap out the drive for a replacement. Here are my two questions:

1 - Can I replace the drive (Hitatchi) with a BenQ
    2 - What are your drive recommendations, for ease of flashing & performance.

I have the drive key saved as a text file & bin file just incase, as Im aware the drives are paired with the board. My uncertainty is in fitting different brands of drives to which to unit came with.

P.s - any recommended suppliers would be appreciated also.

Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

There are also plenty of stories about people dropping their faulty consoles into repair shops who replace the drive with another brand and spoof it. Obviously the easiest choice that doesn't require spoofing is swapping with a drive from the same maker.

The Samsung MS28 and the BenQ are the easiest to flash & spoof and I'd recommend a BenQ myself, Sammies make a lotta noise and from what I've read and friends have experienced they die faster than the others. I've got an MS28 in my first xbox and it's still going strong but I don't play it much I have to admit.

I'm afraid I can't recommend a supplier, I've never ordered parts for a 360 before. Average cost seems to be €40 for the drive though, it could be worth seeing if you just need a replacement laser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Appreciate the reply touchingvirus, helpful as always. What do you mean by spoofing though? In my case is it to fool a benq (for example) into thinking its the Hitatchi that the Xbox was shipped with? If so, why is this necessary once the drive key is flashed onto it?

Cheers

PS - Is the Ixtreme 1.51 FW available for BenQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

EnterNow wrote: »
    Appreciate the reply touchingvirus, helpful as always. What do you mean by spoofing though? In my case is it to fool a benq (for example) into thinking its the Hitatchi that the Xbox was shipped with? If so, why is this necessary once the drive key is flashed onto it?

Cheers

PS - Is the Ixtreme 1.51 FW available for BenQ?

Spoofing is exactly what you describe, it's to fool the xbox 360 into thinking it's a drive of another type. As for why it's required well I've never read up on that, all I know is if you slap in a Hitachi into a console with a sammy & don't spoof then it won't work. I guess there's some part of the console security architecture that prevents direct swaps, could be the DVDkey is based not only on the CPUkey, but drive make? Could be something entirely different.

iX 1.51 is available for BenQ, Hitachi & Samsung/Toshiba drives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Thats everything I needed to know. Cheers man

Advertisement