Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking after a friends cat. Advice needed.

Options
  • 28-12-2009 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Ok, I've about as much knowledge of cats as I do of particle physics....so not much.

I got a last minute call from a friend asking me to look after his elderly cat for a few weeks whilst he does a tour of asia. He left a few dozen kitikat pouches and 2 bags of cat litter, and zero advice.

So, I've been feeding the cat with 2 pouches of kiticat per day, and left some water in a bowl. I think this should be ok. But, I've no clue as to how often I should change the cat litter box.

I'm also not sure about letting the cat out. It's very cold out and the cat is extremely old (17 years old apparently ). Is it ok to keep cats indoors for several weeks at a time?

He gets quite vocal and starts following me around whenever I enter the apartment. I sense he wants/needs something as he is normally a very quiet cat, but I don't know what. I've also left the TV on so he hears human voices etc, and I try to spend a few minutes with him each day.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hi OP,

The cat can be kept indoors all the time, as you say it is very cold out and he is very old, plus he could get into an accident if he's let outside.
    As for the food, 2 pouches sounds about right.
    Litter box- clean it maybe once a day, obviously if it smells clean it more. Not only is a smelly litterbox unpleasant to us, but cats don't like them either :)

As for following you, he most likely just wants company. He might be missing his owner too.

I hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Tbh i think 2 pouches a day is too much...I'd stick to one, half the pouch in the morning, half in the evening. If he seems hungry during the day chop up a handful of ham.

As for the cat litter, if u have a scoop use it whenever he poops...cat litter gets smelly from the ammonia in their pee, i woulld change it at least 3 times a week.

I'd say he's just following you for attention, just give him a pet for a few minutes, that usually shuts them up! Old cats are very vocal anyway.

Unless you live on the same street as your friend I wouldn't let him outdoors cos he'll be unfamiliar with the area. It's fine to keep him indoors as long as he has space to roam around and there's a window slightly open so he's getting fresh air.

Keep water on hand all the time too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

2 pouches of kiticat doesn't sound like a lot. Read the instructions on the back, depending on the cats weight, they could do with 3 or 4 per day. He could be miaowing at you because he's hungry? Poor cat!

Is there a cat flap? There is nothing wrong with letting him or her out if there is a means for him to get back in. He may actually be an indoor cat only so you shouldn't let him out at all. There is nothing wrong with keeping him inside, but he should have a bit of company and play during the day preferably.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

beauty101 wrote: »
    Tbh i think 2 pouches a day is too much...I'd stick to one, half the pouch in the morning, half in the evening. If he seems hungry during the day chop up a handful of ham.

Oh God no, ham is the worst thing to give him! Far, far too salty. You should never give cats ham. Their kidneys aren't the most efficient things in the world and they can't handle the salt content. That goes triply for an elderly cat whose kidneys are going to be old and feeble.

I do agree that he might need more than two pouches though.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

microgirl wrote: »
    Oh God no, ham is the worst thing to give him! Far, far too salty. You should never give cats ham. Their kidneys aren't the most efficient things in the world and they can't handle the salt content. That goes triply for an elderly cat whose kidneys are going to be old and feeble.

I do agree that he might need more than two pouches though.

My cats are 15 and i've been feeding them ham all their lives. Both of them are in perfect health + have no kidney problems. In fact my vet used to advise giving cats ham.

The salt content in cat food is probably equal to that of sliced ham anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

We are all giving different answers :)
    OP I think your best bet is to contact the cat's owner and see what the cat is used to. He should have told you all this before leaving the cat with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Magenta wrote: »
    We are all giving different answers :)
    OP I think your best bet is to contact the cat's owner and see what the cat is used to. He should have told you all this before leaving the cat with you.

He said he left written instructions for me. Turned out to be 4 lines badly written on a stained A4 sheet. I've tried phoning/texting my friend but I can't get through. Not surprising considering the remote areas he is traveling to.

Well...I'm off to change the litter in the tray as suggested. It's been there a few days already!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

EAT THE CAT BEFORE IT EATS YOU!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

well damnyanks - you've a nice break to contemplate

Some good advice has been given re: the litter tray etc.
    Checking the food packets there should be a guide as to how much to feed based on age/weight (I know there is with dog food).
    Whilst there's conflicting issues over ham - maybe just don't - as the cat is quite old, if it's not been fed ham before, you might make it sick giving it now. I'd stick to the cat food.
    Plenty of water left out for the cat (don't give it milk - again people conflict on opinion, but best not to unless you know).
    Regarding letting the cat out - as said if you're on the same road as your friend, then it's probably ok, if not, I'd keep the cat indoors at least for a while.
    Also make sure if there's a tag on the cat - that it has your details (because your friends details is no use if the cat gets lost)

And when/if you get a hold of your friend - get all the details

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Just changed the litter tray. Rather smelly job.

I checked the back of the cat food (turned out to be Whiskas and not Kitikat). Nothing at all regarding servings. I'll alternate between 2 and 3 pouches per day. Should be enough to keep him healthy.

I'm never getting a cat. They are too hard to read.

Strange - you could check packets/boxes of pouches in the shops and see if any give guidelines or check with the vet if you're unsure.

Cats - well, they're different to dogs! But I would agree they're probably a bit harder to read, but you should be ok with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Cats are quite good at self-regulating, so if he's not obviously overweight, I'd give him as much food as he'll eat in at least two meals a day, cats do better eating little and often. I think the recommended amount of cat food pouches is 3-4 per day, but it very much depends on the size and activity level of the cat. My late cat would eat hardly anything as she was very small and pretty lazy, whereas the three monsters I have now eat a lot more. Also, I find cat food manufacturers tend to exaggerate the amount of food needed...

Make sure he has plenty of fresh water at all times and don't give him milk, as he could be allergic to the stuff!

The litter tray definitely needs daily cleaning, as otherwise the cat won't use it, which will lead to distress for the cat and more cleaning for you.

He is probably following you around cause he'd like some attention. I don't know how lively he is, but maybe try playing with him a bit.

At age 17 and in this weather, I'd say he's better off indoors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Perhaps he's following you around because he's lonely and wants a cuddle and a bit of petting - after all, his owner has gone off and left him in a strange place and he may be feeling lost and abandoned.

ghost_ie wrote: »
    Perhaps he's following you around because he's lonely and wants a cuddle and a bit of petting - after all, his owner has gone off and left him in a strange place and he may be feeling lost and abandoned.

The cat is staying in my friends house. Familiar surroundings etc.

It might have been due to me not cleaning the litter tray for a few days. I'll see what he's like tomorrow now that he has a clean one.

I did try the usual stroking at the back of the neck, but he shrugs it off and then shakes his head (like a dog does when they get wet). I don't think he likes that (or perhaps just doesn't like me)

Cats can take a while to adjust to someone new so I wouldn't be offended just yet :)
    Let him come to you and you can stroke him a little and see if he likes it/allows you do it more. Some cats are fickle and as said, he's probably missing his owner a little too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

I definately wouldnt let him out unless your friend specifically told you too, but perhaps sit with him for a while? watch telly there or something.

Also, maybe watch him eating. if he scoffs down the food then you might have been under feeding him. I dont know cats at all, so perhaps post the weight of the cat food pouches and someone can tell you if your feeding the right amount or not. how long is your friend away and how many pouches did he leave? that might tell you how much to feed him.

very unfair of your friend to just drop you in it like that and not make an effort to contact you, but fair play to you for taking it on and for being concerned about the cat!!

Advertisement