Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transport projects that complete in 2009/2010

• 28-12-2009 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Coming up to the end of the year so what was completed this year and what's expected to complete next year?

Completed in 2009
    • Midleton railway service
    • Dublin-Galway motorway (M6)
    • Luas Docklands (Line A1)
    • Beckett Liffey bridge
    • Spencer Dock Bridge
    • N25 Waterford bypass + bridge
    • New stations at celbridge and hazelhatch
    • N51 Navan bypass (Dempsey's constituency)
    • N52 Tullamore bypass (Cowen's constituency)
    • College Green 'Bus Gate' opened then closed again by Dublin City Council
    • Dublin Bike scheme very popular but was it value for money?
    To complete in 2010
    • Dublin-Limerick,Cork and Waterford motorways (M7, M8 & M9)
    • Kildare Route Project
    • Luas Sandyford-Cherrywood (Line B1)
    • Ennis-Athenry railway line (WRC phase 1)
    • Clonsilla-Dunboyne railway spur (Navan line phase1)
    • M50 upgrade
    • Limerick South Ring Road + tunnel
    • M3 commuter motorway

any I'm missing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,934 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Crusheen - Gort M18 motorway is likely to finish in 2010. N21 Castleisland Bypass may, but may not. Similarly the M7 may not.

Kishoge and Clongriffin railway stations should open in 2010. Should...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

To answer your question on DublinBikes: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055782175

There's terminal 2 at Dublin Airport. Rumour mill here said March, but i'd in with the official date of November.

Is the LUAS Citywest extension still on? Or is that a 2011 thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Some Dublin Bus projects which are due to certainly have significant implementation in 2010 are:

Phased roll out of Dublin Bus Automatic Vehicle Location and Control (AVLC) system, including implementation of onboard Real Time Passenger Information (RTPI).

Phased implementation of Deloitte Report recommendations - including network redesign, co-ordinated route timetables, and improved customer information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

MYOB wrote: »
    Crusheen - Gort M18 motorway is likely to finish in 2010. N21 Castleisland Bypass may, but may not. Similarly the M7 may not.

Kishoge and Clongriffin railway stations should open in 2010. Should...
    I heard something about the m7 being built on a 'bottomless bog' and having some difficulties with its mooring
    monument wrote: »
    To answer your question on DublinBikes: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055782175
    That link says 200K trips were made in 3 months which is pretty cool but what was the cost per trip when all those contras and freebies are worked out at cash equivalents?
    There's terminal 2 at Dublin Airport. Rumour mill here said March, but i'd in with the official date of November.
    Problem is that T1 is now back well under capacity so there's no need for the new terminal to open yet. Will DAA open it anyway? I don't think they will.
    Is the LUAS Citywest extension still on? Or is that a 2011 thing?
    KC61 wrote: »
    Phased roll out of Dublin Bus Automatic Vehicle Location and Control (AVLC) system, including implementation of onboard Real Time Passenger Information (RTPI).
    I think this will make a huge difference. Bear in mind that such a system operated in Hong Kong in 1989 with smart cards, integrated ticketing and so on - but better late than never.

Also I forgot to include the Monkstown Ring Road in the original list of completed projects in 2009.

25 million was allowed in the budget for provisions from the smarter travel policy but I've no idea what these will be. (local initiatives I think)

Other transport events in 2010: railway order for Metro North to be granted. Railway orders for interconnector and Metro West & Luas B2 (Cherrywood-Bray) to be applied for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'd go with the November date too. They were originally aiming for March/April but due to a couple of minor delays they have to push it to November.
    Otherwise they'd be opening the terminal in May when the holiday season schedules have been implemented and it would be a nightmare.
    Hence it's been pushed to November when the schedules change back to the winter flight schedules.

At least, that's what some DAA guys told me late last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

some massive projects finishing this year, i think thats out lot then for a long time!

any idea when the luas will hit cherrywood? wasnt it supposed to be finished in 2009, so must be well over budget at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

some massive projects finishing this year, i think thats out lot then for a long time!

any idea when the luas will hit cherrywood? wasnt it supposed to be finished in 2009, so must be well over budget at this stage.

Late 2010 according to latest RPA Update bulletin here: http://www.rpa.ie/Documents/Luas%20Line%20B1/News/B1%20Construction%20Updates/B1%20Con%20Update%20No%2025%20December%202009.pdf

Looking forward to getting a trip on the WRC of the Luas system so that I can tick it off in my trainspotters book. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

It was never due to finish in 2009 per the RPA site. The developers at Cherrywood claimed 2009.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

crocro wrote: »
    That link says 200K trips were made in 3 months which is pretty cool but what was the cost per trip when all those contras and freebies are worked out at cash equivalents?

Given that DublinBikes were paid for by on street billboard space rather than actualy money, the system must be one of the most if not the most cost netrual projects on the list.

Could the deal being better? Yes, maybe, but the deal was made after Tge system in Paris was up and running a while. In otherwords after widespread abuse and theft was shown to be the norm. Remember nearly everbody here on boards and most media outlets were predicting the same for Dublin? Luckly it has not happened to date.

• Advertisement
Advertisement