Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Apartment

Options
  • 28-12-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Hi Everyone,
    I didn't know exactly where to post this thread but this part of boards.ie seemed the most appropriate. I'm thinking about renting a flat with some friends and am confused about the
    most basic of conditions when actually renting.

The apartment we have in mind is a 2 bed apartment and is listed as 500 pm. My friends are a couple so would be taking one room and I would be taking the other. If we were to take the flat, would the situation be all of us splitting the amount (500pm) three ways - as in 166.50 each per month. This is really irritating me as its a very basic yet confusing issue. Any help much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think that a but much for them to be paying for one room. Would suggest you pay 200 and they pay 300 or a similar sum. Bills split in 3 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭St James

not necessarily an equal 3 way split. Is one of the rooms a double en suite ant the other a single box room? If that were the case, then those with the double en suite should pay the larger share- perhaps €400 of the €500.

If both are double ensuite, then maybe it should be more balanced in their favour - closer to a 50/50 split with all other bills on the same basis. You have the oppertunity to bring home a friend, so that is worth some monetary amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Hmm...it does depend on what the rooms are like. I have seen it done either way but in general I would have said the rent is split by room, not by person. So if the rooms were exactly the same size, then maybe, 225 for your room and 275 for theirs - them paying a token amount extra for the extra hassle for you of living with two people when you could live in the same space with one.

The only way to justify an exact 3 way split in that situation, in my opinion anyway, would be if your room was a box room and theirs was a double ensuite. I don't think you should pay less for one room as they would for an equal room.

• It depends on the size of the rooms, but generally, the rent is never split three ways when one couple has to share a room. Usually they either pay half of the rent, or (more fair, IMO) a bit more than their half to make up for the extra space taken up by 2 people rather than one. I'd agree with Monkey61

(Where are you getting a 2 bed for 500 pcm? Just curious)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Victor did a very good calculation addressing this in the Accommodation and Property forum- helpfully called 'The Equitable Houseshare'. I think you'll find it helpful.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Thanks for the info everyone and to be more specific, the apartment is a 2 bed comprising a double bedroom and single.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Firstly i'd say this - do not move in with a couple!
    But if you're definitely going to do it, i'd say they should pay 300-350.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

eth0_ wrote: »
    Firstly i'd say this - do not move in with a couple!
    But if you're definitely going to do it, i'd say they should pay 300-350.
    +1 for both points.

Would be very careful of moving in with a couple. Totally different scenario to living with two other single people.

As for the rent in this situation, the question as I see it is whether you should pay a half or a third of the rent (the two outer limits)? So I would split the difference (roughly) and go with a €200/€300 split.

Either way bills should definitely be split evenly between the three of you and I would print off that guide to house sharing by Victor. Wish I knew about that when I was house-sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

rcdk1 wrote: »
    +1 for both points.

Would be very careful of moving in with a couple. Totally different scenario to living with two other single people.

As for the rent in this situation, the question as I see it is whether you should pay a half or a third of the rent (the two outer limits)? So I would split the difference (roughly) and go with a €200/€300 split.

Either way bills should definitely be split evenly between the three of you and I would print off that guide to house sharing by Victor. Wish I knew about that when I was house-sharing.

Thank you for your kind words of wisdom.

Advertisement