Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE programme about the flood tonight

Options
  • 28-12-2009 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The Night Cork Nearly Drowned RTE One 8:25pm-9:00pm

Documentary charting the events of November 20 when the people of Cork dealt with the aftermath of overnight flooding throughout the city. Including previously unseen footage from the people affected by the freak weather - estimated to have left the council with a bill of more than 30million euros

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Its was very well put together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Cheers for posting that. Wouldn't have seen it if it wasn't for your post.

Not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

there were some interesting new shots and the timeline was great. I've not seen a timeline like that yet.

I know it was a short programme, but it would have been nice to see some details of the flood response. Perhaps some investigation into the 2 weeks it took to restore water in places, the time buildings and businesses were out of commission.

I don't think I'd be happy with it if I was in the ESB though, I don't think they came out of it looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Good show - pity they didn't show before and after pics of the worst affected places (e.g. Carrigrohane).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Very good show though think they let some residents blame the ESB when it seems its the council were at fault for not listening. One wonders when the real blame game will start.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Missed it, but will try and watch it on RTE Player.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Crap I forgot to record this,oh well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Crap I forgot to record this,oh well.

rte player should have it - I should have recorded it as well, my name is in the credits, first ever! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

missed it ... it wasnt listed in the rte guide... great help having an rte guide
    anyway just checked the rte player it s not there either, but maybe it takes a few days before it becomes available?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Bad management of ESB caused flood.Water should have been bled off gradually corresponding with low tides in the run up to the expected heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Missed it, but will try and watch it on RTE Player.

Me too, sounds interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

rte player should have it - I should have recorded it as well, my name is in the credits, first ever! :D

Will check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I wasn't in the city for the flooding and while I saw some of the pictures seeing all the places I know well flooding is seriously scary! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

nightster1 wrote: »
    Bad management of ESB caused flood.Water should have been bled off gradually corresponding with low tides in the run up to the expected heavy rain.
    thanks Doctor, what's you're training in the area?

the programme was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Yeah, ESB made too much rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

imme wrote: »
    thanks Doctor, what's you're training in the area?

the programme was excellent.
    JustinOval wrote: »
    Yeah, ESB made too much rain.

look.. The Iniscarra damn has the capacity to prevent that level of flooding, but the inniscarra damn is operated by the ESB who are in the business of generating electricity. For generating electricty you want a full damn at all times, that is the ideal situation for them.. there's a direct conflict of interest.

In my opinion.. the iniscarra damn should be only for flood control and any power generated in doing so is a bonus. It's crap at generating power anyway, 20Megawatts... there are smallish windfarms down in west cork generating 40Megawatts!! At 20Megawatts i wonder how profitable the thing is anyway once you take into account operating costs and maintenace costs.

T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Anyone care to share their recorded version?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

Doesn't seem to be available on the player unfortunately.

In fairness this is quite true, the heavy rain was forecast, the high tides that corresponded with the rain over those days were also known about. The dam should have had much lower levels in the days preceding the rain corresponding with the tides. It isn't rocket science. As said the ESB didn't come out of the program too well, no mystery why really.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

RoverJames wrote: »
    In fairness this is quite true, the heavy rain was forecast, the high tides that corresponded with the rain over those days were also known about. The dam should have had much lower levels in the days preceding the rain corresponding with the tides. It isn't rocket science. As said the ESB didn't come out of the program too well, no mystery why really.

The reason the dam didn't have lower levels was because they were searching for the missing UCC student down river and it it normal procedure to restrict water flow to lower the water level down stream.

• Advertisement

I am well aware of that, flooding a city and the lives endangered in doing so was not the intention obviously but things should have been weighed up. That poor chap who they were searching for, I am sure that he wouldn't have wanted the city flooded. There are homeless people literally freezing on the streets for the last couple of weeks, very little is being done for them yet the entire city is flooded due to a search for a body. After a day or so no one expected to find the chap alive in the river I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

RoverJames wrote: »
    I am well aware of that, flooding a city and the lives endangered in doing so was not the intention obviously but things should have been weighed up. That poor chap who they were searching for, I am sure that he wouldn't have wanted the city flooded. There are homeless people literally freezing on the streets for the last couple of weeks, very little is being done for them yet the entire city is flooded due to a search for a body. After a day or so no one expected to find the chap alive in the river I am sure.

I think the whole debate comes down to an ethical decision really although perhaps when the decision was made to reduce water flow the extend of the rain over the next few days wasn't known and by the time the realised it it would have been to late to release the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

opus wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be available on the player unfortunately.

Was told it wont be, due to not having the rights or some such....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

There is other things to consider when Cork floods. How about the farmers clearing ditches? Older non-cleared/trimmed ditches would have held lots of water. When the ditches are cleared or trimmed down (I assume to maximize acreage) there is less foliage to hold water.
    How about the new buildings? All over the lee valley there are houses that would have concrete foundations (just like anywhere else) but this will also contribute to the lack of ground soakage in the Lee valley.
    Hence the very quick flow of water into the Inniscarra dam.
    Yes, there is blame for the ESB, but there are other things to consider too. It is new territory to the managers of the dam (ESB). The land was also saturated so badly that the heavy rain fall just flowed straight off the land and straight into the dam.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 voyage

by the way this programme is now up on the RTÉ player - http://www.rte.ie/player/# for everyone who hasn't seen it yet.

It's available to view until Monday 18 January 2010.

voyage wrote: »
    by the way this programme is now up on the RTÉ player - http://www.rte.ie/player/# for everyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Brilliant - just have to figure out some way to save it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

thanks for posting the fact that itis on the rte player now, i had checked originally but it was nt up then. now however i haved seen it ! so thanks for the reminder

@ rebel girl. if you firnd a way to save it please let me know as i would also like to save it,if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Saw the programme and it was heart breaking to see all the people loose precious irreplacable belongings like wedding photos.

There was no mention of whether the dam was fuller than it would otherwise be because of a search for a body.
    If that really true that they were holding water back? As far as I can figure it was never said officially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

I can't find it on the RTE Player - possibly because I'm not in Ireland. If anyone could share it with me, it would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

voyage wrote: »

Direct link to the show:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1063689

RTE Player isn't available outside of Ireland hence you not being able to see it. Don't know of any method that allows you record from it though, if I find one I'll let you know.

Advertisement