Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Possibility Yet?

• 28-12-2009 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

I just saw this article. It may have already been discussed but the threads don't go back far enough. Apparently there is still a chance of Ireland getting to South Africa.

BRUNO CAZARINE CONSTANTINO. Remember the name as he may become as infamous as Jean-Marc Bosman.

Cazarine, you see, is the reason Brazil could be banned from playing in next summer's World Cup finals.
    That's right, Brazil, the world's favourite football team, could be kicked out of South Africa 2010.
    A tournament without them may be unthinkable but a legal case brought against the Brazilian FA (CBF) by one of the smallest clubs under its jurisdiction is threatening exactly that.
    And at the centre of the whole affair is the unlikely figure of Cazarine, 26, who could be about to become public enemy No 1.
    Cazarine is an unlikely villain in such a major drama, especially one of the scale which has unfolded in Brazil in the past two months.
    He's a journeyman player - a very average midfielder who has bounced around nine clubs in the last six years.
    It's his last three, however, which have put FIFA at odds with the CBF and could yet carry the ultimate sanction for the Brazil national team.
    The row revolves around the outcome of the Brazilian Serie B - and the final placing of two teams.
    Guarani, for whom Cazarine plays, came second and were promoted, while Portuguesa finished fifth, meaning they missed going up by one place.
    Portuguesa then filed an official complaint against Guarani to the CBF on the basis that Cazarine has played for three different clubs in the same season.
    In doing so, he was in clear violation of the FIFA Players' Status rules - Article 5, Paragraph 3.
    Both Guarani and the CBF brushed off the protest as insignificant and cited exceptional circumstances.
    The player left Brazil's AC Chapecoense on May 10 this year to sign for South Korea's Gyeongnam FC, where he played until joining Guarani on July 13.
    Guarani argued he was exempt because FIFA rules allow a player to have three clubs in a season if one club's championship competition is not on the same calendar as his new club.
    The excuse was flimsy at best as the K League ran from March to December, while Brazil's season ran from May to December.
    Yet, amazingly, the CBF still accepted this explanation.
    Portuguesa appointed the highly-respected legal team to take the case to FIFA.
    SunSport has acquired copies of the documents sent on Portuguesa's behalf to FIFA, citing the CBF and Guarani's transgression.
    We also have the acknowledgement of the citation by FIFA's legal director Marco Villiger and the deputy head of the Players' Status Committee, Daniel Pose.
    A meeting is scheduled for January 5. FIFA will decide how the case should proceed.
    Paulo Teixeira, who is leading Portuguesa's case, also has proof that the CBF failed in their responsibility as the association in charge of the clubs to punish Guarani.
    In doing so, what should have been a local spat between clubs the size of Grimsby and Rotherham has become an issue which could rock soccer to its very core.
    Since the complaint is now very much against the CBF as well as Guarani and has been passed to FIFA, it's the world body which must now act by applying its own law.
    And that law states that any member association which fails to punish correctly a club which breaks FIFA rules will have its national team suspended from playing in the next official tournament.
    Now the cynical among you (me included) will no doubt argue there's no way Sepp Blatter and Co will allow the greatest show on earth to go on without its biggest star.
    Surely they'll find some loophole to ensure Brazil take their place in the Group of Death alongside Portugal, Ivory Coast and North Korea.
    Maybe. But with a presidential election at FIFA in which Blatter is hoping to win a fourth term, can anyone be seen to so blatantly flout their own rules?
    Make no mistake, Portuguesa mean business and will not go away quietly.
    Of course it would be a shame for football fans if Brazil were absent.
    Yet one team's loss is normally another's gain, and should FIFA replace Brazil, at least they have a country with a strong claim to be there next summer.
    Maybe the luck of the Irish is about to change?
    Doubt it will work out but it is a possibility.

What do ye think? A possibility? And what is your opinion of getting to South Africa by default?

Original article can be found here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Aww Christ Not Again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Well that means the FAI are screwed anyway a la Cork City, Drogheda Utd, Derry City, etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Ireland wouldnt and shouldnt get any place that would come as a result of this.

I would say time to move on but that time was ages ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The Sun.

Pure boIIocks I'd imagine.

We can only dream. If we did get there by default I wouldn't care, I'd be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I just saw this article. It may have already been discussed but the threads don't go back far enough. Apparently there is still a chance of Ireland getting to South Africa.

Doubt it will work out but it is a possibility.

What do ye think? A possibility? And what is your opinion of getting to South Africa by default?

Original article can be found here
    Think this was brought up before the brazil club sorted it out and dropped the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Ireland should just be awarded the World Cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Err NO !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Think this was brought up before the brazil club sorted it out and dropped the case
    This was published on the 23rd so unless they dropped the case in the last few days or The Sun is seriously behind on its stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Oh ffs. Let it go people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

the same chance of steven ireland being welcomed back with open arms

:rolleyes:

ziggy wrote: »
    if you read the articles, the CBF failed to punish correctly a club which broke FIFA laws and part of FIFA law is that if a national football agency do this, the national team will be banned from the next official tournament, leaving space number 32 open...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

if you read the articles, the CBF failed to punish correctly a club which broke FIFA laws and part of FIFA law is that if a national football agency do this, the national team will be banned from the next official tournament, leaving space number 32 open...

You still havent answered his question. I think he was aware that the suggestion is a new team coming in but why Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

just noticed its from the sun newspaper as well, has to be true, quality journolism at its best

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

YAWN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Brazil wil be in the World Cup next year. Without doubt!!!! They could have a civil war and FIFA would still want them there!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

For fcuk sake, why don't FIFA just give us a bye to the damn final, it's the least we deserve :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Des wrote: »
    YAWN

You could have at least used a green font

YAWN

Better?

scudzilla wrote: »
    For fcuk sake, why don't FIFA just give us a bye to the damn final, it's the least we deserve :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Probably some rule against it:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Aye, surely it would have to go to either the next team down in CONMEBOL, or else the team that Uruguay beat in the playoffs (Costa-Rica), as Uruguay could move up to take the last automatic spot which Argentina currently hold, leaving the team they faced as probably the closest thing to a deserving qualifier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Probably some rule against it:(
    But the handball rule was suspended for a Frenchman;)

We better get over this soon or we might get depressed what with our other little problems:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

blinding wrote: »

We better get over this soon or we might get depressed what with our other little problems:eek:

by a frenchman. see the prob is we need delany to go for president of fifa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Paulegend wrote: »
    by a frenchman. see the prob is we need delany to go for president of fifa

for the love of god NOOOOOOO

Imagine the chaos he'd cause!!!!

Thinking about it this could be fun :D:D

blinding wrote: »

I got it!
    Lets leave Brazil in it (lets face it it might be hard to win it)
    The winner of the World Cup final have to take on Ireland in a penalty shoot out straight after the full-time whistle to decide who takes the trophy.
    If we lose we can all resort to blaming Henry again and claim the team was rusty

Well, someone must replace them and we have a better claim than most to the spot.

Checked RTE Sport to see if there was a mention and found this. RTE seem to think it was a joke...

Well, someone must replace them and we have a better claim than most to the spot.

Checked RTE Sport to see if there was a mention and found this. RTE seem to think it was a joke...

as someone stated above if Brazil are kicked then the team that would replace it would come from south america. it would be the team that missed out. they would look at the qualifiers and just remove brazil from the group. we have NO case. if Henry's handball didnt happen we would have had to play penos anyway. it didnt cost us the world cup it cost us penos. thats it!!

we don't though really...someone who directly would have qualified by Brazil not being in qualifying is much more deserving. As it stands Europe have filled their alotted spaces. If Brazil are taken out of the equation it means a spot which should have gone to either a CONMEBOL or CONCACAF team is unused, therefore one of those two associations should get the spot, most likely Costa Rica as they lost the CONMEBOL Vs CONCACAF playoff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

What claim do we have that is better than most other teams who didnt qualify?

Even if Brazil did get kicked out the spot would go to another SA team not a European one.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    we don't though really...someone who directly would have qualified by Brazil not being in qualifying is much more deserving. As it stands Europe have filled their alotted spaces. If Brazil are taken out of the equation it means a spot which should have gone to either a CONMEBOL or CONCACAF team is unused, therefore one of those two associations should get the spot, most likely Costa Rica as they lost the CONMEBOL Vs CONCACAF playoff.

Remember the Georgian (Kinkaldze or something) plays for AC Milan as far as I know. He scored not one but two ogs for Italy in a qualifying game. I reckon around April 1st 2010 we might be discussing articles claiming that he had been paid by the Italian FA and hence...........;)

Remember the Georgian (Kinkaldze or something) plays for AC Milan as far as I know. He scored not one but two ogs for Italy in a qualifying game. I reckon around April 1st 2010 we might be discussing articles claiming that he had been paid by the Italian FA and hence...........;)

they were some awesome OG's too, amongst the most high quality i've ever seen!

Even though i'm positive it would be Costa Rica who would get the spot if this were to occur, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Brazil with be in South Africa next summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kaladze, and there is no way in hell he ment either.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Kaladze, and there is no way in hell he ment either.

I take it April 1st aint celebrated in Galway then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I read this far...
    Originally Posted by The Sun Newspaper on the 23rd of December
    ..what happens in the end?

• Advertisement

eddiehead wrote: »
    I read this far...

..what happens in the end?

She gets her tits out:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

1. It will never happen
    2. Why the hell would Ireland get in instead of a South American team.
    3. Henry is a cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bandit12 wrote: »
    3. Henry is a cheat.

:(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

jesus, Let it go guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

IRELAND ARE NOT,I REPEAT, NOT GOING TO THE WORLD CUP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

IRELAND ARE NOT,I REPEAT, NOT GOING TO THE WORLD CUP.

I'm not accepting that!! Let's all start another Facebook protest. RAGE AGAINST HENRY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

****ing hell :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Why is this thread still open.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'm not accepting that!! Let's all start another Facebook protest. RAGE AGAINST HENRY!!

or how about start one "lets stop whinging"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

mod please close this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

GO'S wrote: »
    mod please close this thread

stockphotopro_1440865dlh_tosindia_batch7.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement