Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting a bike for test?

• 28-12-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been covered on here before but I cant seem to find any threads on it.

Anyway I have an ambitious plan of trying to get my bike licence in the next 6 or so months without buying a bike. I'm heading abroad for a year at the end of the summer and cant afford to run a bike. I have a full car licence for 4 years now and a moped one for 2 years prior to that. This combined with some lesions, I'm hoping will see me to a pass.

Anyway what I'm looking to find out before splashing out on lesions is is it possible to rent a bike for the purpose of doing the test or can one be acquired from a school of motoring?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

You can rent a bike from some bike instructors for your test (as well as for lessons).

If you're getting your first learner permit (class A to cover bikes rather than mopeds), you can't sit your test until you've held the permit for a minimum of 6 months so you'll need to time it well to be ready for the end of the summer. You might also need to check what the waiting times are like at the bike test centres, some of them still have long waiting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Thanks gipi!

If I were to leave off getting my permit until just before I leave in the summer how long before it'll have to be renewed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

A learners permit lasts for 2 years - you can renew it once for another 2 years but can't get a third or subsequent permit unless you've applied for your test or have done the test and failed.

There's compulsory basic training on the way too (thought it was to be here for Nov 2009 but think it's been delayed?), so don't delay too long in getting paperwork - the proposal is that you won't get a learners permit until you've done the compulsory training.

Advertisement