Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cakes for decorating

Options
  • 28-12-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I just recently completed a basic sugarcraft course so I have been getting into covering cakes of late. I am just wondering if people have some more variety of cakes that would be good for covering so far I've done chocolate biscuit, fruit, maderia and chocolate. Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Sponge cakes are good for decorating as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭molliesassy

Hi Mias,
    I have to do a cake for my daughter's 21st at the end of the month and she mentioned chocolate biscuit cake. Where can I get a good recipe for that? Would a 12" square cake be too big for it? And how would you cover it in fondant - a layer of buttercream first? Any help would be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

A square 12" cake would give you about at least 40 good sized cake portions or about 60 standard ones (the way they are serving cake is the restaurants).

A dark chocolate ganache would be nice for a filling - and you can use a layer of it to cover the cake before covering with fondant.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭molliesassy

DreamC,
    Many thanks for that info. I want to make a stack of 2 cakes (like two presents) and thought the choc biscuit cake would be good and sturdy for the bottom cake (Do you have a recipe????) I like the idea for the ganache.
    I had a look at your cakes which are absolutely amazing! :) Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Dream C your cakes are amazing!! Is that treasure chest lid cake as well?
    Wish I'd seen this last year we resorted to making one out of cardboard.

Would also like a chocolate biscuit cake recipe if anyone has a nice foolproof one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I made my brothers wedding cake last year, and use the receipe on the Oldlums website, it was delish - the compliments were flying :D
    http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=chocolate-biscuit-tiffin-cake

hope the link works, i'm not the best with them

Advertisement