Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddle Pad

Options
  • 28-12-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could buy a faux-sheepskin, preferably cotton, saddle pad, that's something like this and especially this (following the line of the saddle), though a bit cheaper if possible.

I saw some at the RDS, but they were quite expensive for what they were - ie, quality wasn't great and they were quite thin.

I'd prefer a cotton/fleece as I find they are less inclined to scald the horse's back and are easier to wash/dry.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Holmestead have them, or had them..I got one a few years back and to be honest, i wouldnt recommend them..the 'faux' ones dont just just look as good after a few uses, and after washing them they look and feel crap and the cushioning they are supposed to offer dont last to be honest.

Thats just my personal opinion though..dont want to tell u what to do either.for day to day use now i use the real sheepskin half pad combined with any saddlepad i can put my hand on in the tackroom!! i've 3 of the sheepskin half fur pads (supposedly real) but one of them i use at home on all the horses, have it 2 years, never had to wash it, brush it off everyday, just change the saddlepad under it as often as possible. the others i use on showdays, but i find the quality in the real sheep skin excellent..the one i use everyday, that i have 2 years, i gave €100 for..lot of money, but its in perfect condition still, so it was well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kens

I bought a couple of the Roma Sheepskin numnahs one full & one half lined for my thin skinned TB & love them if money was no object I'd probably have gone for a Le Mieux but the Roma have worked out really well for me ~ for cleaning & care I hoover them before washing (cool wash & lux soap flakes) they usually dry over night & when dry I fluff them up by hand they still look like new almost a year on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

MDFM wrote: »
    Holmestead have them, or had them..I got one a few years back and to be honest, i wouldnt recommend them..the 'faux' ones dont just just look as good after a few uses, and after washing them they look and feel crap and the cushioning they are supposed to offer dont last to be honest.

I plan on buying the 'real' sheepskin ones when I start back competing properly, but for the moment the 'faux' ones are best for me. I've had a few in the past and they lasted really well - I found that if I brushed them and washed them once a week they stayed soft and retained their cushioning. I don't really mind that they don't look so good, as they're only used at home and on the gallops - the good ones are kept for shows, hunting, etc.
    MDFM wrote: »
    i've 3 of the sheepskin half fur pads (supposedly real) but one of them i use at home on all the horses, have it 2 years, never had to wash it, brush it off everyday, just change the saddlepad under it as often as possible.

I have 2 of the half saddle pads, too, and I find them fantastic. Like you I've had mine about 2 years and use it in the same way and have found it great. I've not had to wash it either, and it still looks great (though beside the new one I bought at the horse show this year, it looks a tad grubby!)

I must try the hoovering before washing, Kens. I hadn't thought of that before. Much less labour intensive than using a dandy brush!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 s.behan

Thoroughbred Remedies on the curragh have them and they're a fair bit cheaper than Holmestead for everything from clothes to tack,equipment and supplements. I use them all the time. Anything they don't have they're normally quiet happy to order it in. Only one problem, I tend to come out with more stuff than i went in for lol:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

oh ebay would be my first stop, you could get lovely ones on it ranging in prices. i've bought nhumnah's before and didnt have a problem.

have also seen them in holmestead.

i'm a big fan myself i think they look lovely but i don't like when they get grubby either, maybe one day i can invest in a real sheepskin :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

www.horsehealth.co.uk
    I would really advise you just splash out and buy yourself a Le Meuix. Two of my horses are ridden every day in them and they last and last, plus being a natural product are much kinder to their skin. They are really worth the money and will last much longer than the synthetic stuff.

Advertisement