Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do chorus do to your house when installing broadband

• 28-12-2009 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I want to get the 20mb version, and appearently you don't need a phoneline.

Will there be any holes drilled?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

They use your pre-existing cable TV point, unless you're getting more points installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 spiritualist

I have some cables but they are not set up, they are just hanging in the hallway, about 7 tied together. (I moved into my place last month, nothing done to them so far)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have some cables but they are not set up, they are just hanging in the hallway, about 7 tied together. (I moved into my place last month, nothing done to them so far)

7 cables? Do you not have a wall point installed by them already?

Yes, I do. they are coming out from the wall, they are just not connected up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Well for the 10mb version they just use the TV cable but for the 20mb version they have to drill loads of holes dig up your garden and kill your cat.:eek:

• Advertisement

Ranicand wrote: »
    Well for the 10mb version they just use the TV cable but for the 20mb version they have to drill loads of holes dig up your garden and kill your cat.:eek:

I don't have a cat. I have a silverback gorilla though.

I don't have a cat. I have a silverback gorilla though.

Not for long.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

but seriously, what do they do?

CorkMan wrote: »

For a normal install it's connect a cable modem to the cable TV point, and then attempt to run an installer program from a CD that's little more than a glorified way or associating the modems MAC address with your account to provision it on the network. It's been a while since I've had anything to do with one of their installs, so this may have changed.

CorkMan wrote: »

If you have a tv cable in the house the same cable carries broadband and phone.

They just put on a modem to the cable they use a splitter.

If you want the modem in a room with no cable they can either extend the cable in your home or drill a hole and put in a new cable.

It all depends on what room you want the modem in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is the house actually connected to the UPC cable network? Sounds like you have (dodgy) internal wiring for TV points, but may not actually be connected to UPC's network.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

do you even live in a town where Chorus BB is available ( about 10 of them , the largest being Cork)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    do you even live in a town where Chorus BB is available ( about 10 of them , the largest being Cork)

I'd hate to live in a big town like Cork.
    It's a pity you don't live in a city like Dublin, Limerick, or Galway.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

the modem is where you plug in telephone service shoudl you decide to get it from them, so you should locate the modem somewhere that you can connect it into any phone lines. Also, the modem has a WiFi access point, so to get good range for laptops it should ideally be central in the house.

jor el wrote: »
    Is the house actually connected to the UPC cable network? Sounds like you have (dodgy) internal wiring for TV points, but may not actually be connected to UPC's network.

It is connected to the network.

I want the BB in the frontroom, the cables are in the same hallway, no walls seperating them.

there won't be any drilling or anything?

Advertisement