Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW2 Art

• 28-12-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this has been done here yet but I thought I would throw up a few bits of WW2 art. There is tons out there so this is just a snippet but it would be nice to come across some people havent seen yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm not sure if this has been done here yet but I thought I would throw up a few bits of WW2 art. There is tons out there so this is just a snippet but it would be nice to come across some people havent seen yet.

The snippet's so small, I can't see it:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Sorry about that, I got distracted in the middle of posting and couldent get back to it.

[IMG][/img]dhm14211.jpg

Fallschirmjager637.jpg

ST.jpg

ST1.jpg

Winter.jpg

fw.jpg

stalingrad1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

heres a couple of postcards from the time
    postcard1mg.jpg
    postcard2grenadier.jpg
    scan0007-2.jpg

war artist ernst eigener

gersketchbook4.jpg
    gersketchbook11.jpg
    gersketchbook10.jpg
    gersketchbook8.jpg
    gersketchbook7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

some interesting images there OP.
    I was only thinking of war artists the other day, more WW1 war artists. It was when I was writing my christmas cards, because they were Sir John Lavery images. He'd been a WW1 war artist.

Of course official war artists continued up to the Falklands, they might even still continue.

stalingrad3.jpg

stalingrad2.jpg

stalingrad.jpg

russia.jpg

remagen.jpg

kursk3.jpg

kursk.jpg

desert.jpg

kursk2.jpg

kursk1.jpg

• Advertisement

"Hans Liska (1907-1984) is one of the most well-known and prolific WWII Axis illustrators, who served with the German Armed Forces during the war. In 1942 and 1943 German publishing house Carl Werner in Reichenbach, sponsored by Junkers Flugzeug und Motorenwerke AG, published 2 albums with Hans Liska's sketches and color illustrations "to please the frontline soldiers and the workers of the weapon factories" in Germany. Definitely, Liska's art lived up to the expectations of his peers, and propaganda clichés left the well-recognizable footprints all over his painting and drawings. However, at the same time artist was also able to create something more valuable than NSDAP-commissioned propaganda poster for the crumbling wall of the neighborhood bakery in bombed-up German provincial town. Liska convincingly demonstrates that he has an eye for the real war drama, with all its pain, suffering, desperation, hard work, endurance, sense of duty, and courage for yet one more push to the utmost, which all participants are likely to share, no matter under what colors they fought and died."

Liska017.jpg

Liska022.jpg

Liska026.jpg

Liska027.jpg

Liska037.jpg

Liska038.jpg

Liska039.jpg

Liska040.jpg

Liska041.jpg

Liska042.jpg

Liska044.jpg

Liska045.jpg

Liska047.jpg

Liska053.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

That's some impressive stuff there, BlackEdelweiss.
    In my opinion far more better art than those overcrowded polished paintings of Cranston. Love every single line of it.

Would you consider a 'boxart' as a WWII art too?

A few from Guy Sajer, I never heard of these before. I love the Liska drawings, was better than the Cranston type but I still like them.
    guy3.jpg

guy2.jpg

guy1.jpg

guy.jpg

Advertisement