Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From black hair to blonde?

• 28-12-2009 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi everyone.
    I have been dyeing hair black with the past 3 years .. I want a change and go light brown or blonde . Does anybody know any good hair salon around clare or limerick that could do this for me ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

to be honest I don't think any salon will do this for you in one go cos your hairs black now. It will prob take 4-5 goes to get your hair light brown/blonde.
    Te slower its done the better for your hair, try getting a full head of highlights every 2 months or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Black hair dye is EXTREMELY hard to get out!! It probably will take a few goes - they will have to strip/cleanse/lighten etc your hair before any colour even goes in at all. It's an expensive process! Huge change from black to blonde!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Fiona19 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    I have been dyeing hair black with the past 3 years .. I want a change and go light brown or blonde . Does anybody know any good hair salon around clare or limerick that could do this for me ?
    Thanks

I did this before.

As other posters have said ... long process. My hairdresser did it for me in a day, but I was in the salon for houuuuurs!

You'll need your hair stripped first. Because of it being so dark, chances are, you'll have to have it stripped twice. Then, you'll probably be given an all over dye and highlights.

My advice? Look around for a good salon yourself. Check several and choose a place you trust. There's a lot of work involved in what you want and you'll want someone experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

I'm going getting it done next time in hairdressers and she said it will take about 6 hours! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Completely agree with Pikachucheeks.

I went from having jet black hair to blonde hair before and it took aaaages. It's also pretty hard going on your hair so you really need to make sure that you are getting it done by someone who isn't gonna mess up!

It cost me well over a hundred euro when I had done but I had a conditioning treatment too, which I have to say, I would advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I'm in the process of doing this at the moment. My hairdresser refused to strip my hair as she said it destroys the quality of your hair and especially as my hair is long it would most likely turn out patchy! Instead I'm slowly but surely growing it out. At first she used to just put a dark brown semi-permanent colour to hide my roots (I'm a dirty blonde shade naturally) and trimmed and thinned my hair every time I went to remove the black (luckily I don't have fine hair). About the third visit she started to put in highlights, I've had this done twice now and need to have it done again (bit strapped for cash atm) and I have to say it's really working, it won't be too long before I'm blonde again. :) This method may take longer I reckon but it's much better for my hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Don't go down the highlights route. Hairdressers love doing highlights because it's a big money maker and you will end up wanting to be lighter and lighter.
    They say you should get highlights "to go lighter gradually" and because "it's more gentle on your hair"- rubbish. You're still bleaching your hair!
    And when you go back to get more highlights, you will often have the same strands bleached over and over again.
    It's better- and cheaper- to get an all over blonde, and then just get your roots done when they need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Magenta wrote: »
    It's better- and cheaper- to get an all over blonde, and then just get your roots done when they need it.

But that looks very unnatural. I have highlights done because I find that having multi-tones in my hair looks much nicer and less severe than having one all over tone.
    Magenta wrote: »
    when you go back to get more highlights, you will often have the same strands bleached over and over again.

In my experience, with my hairdresser, not true. She does a full head of highlights for me each time. She obviously tops up the roots on the crown, but underneath, she just picks random bits of hair and dyes that. Looking for older highlights to touch up would take forever, if she was doing that on my whole head!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I get my highlights done for 40 euro because she does it from home and my mom is her oldest client, so it's not exactly a money making racket in my case anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

But that looks very unnatural. I have highlights done because I find that having multi-tones in my hair looks much nicer and less severe than having one all over tone.

That's not what I meant. I meant in going from black to blonde, the OP should avoid going the highlights route as it will take forever and cost a fortune.
    she just picks random bits of hair and dyes that. Looking for older highlights to touch up would take forever, if she was doing that on my whole head!

That's not what I meant either. In picking random bits of hair, she will be picking bit she has highlighted before, hence, repeatedly bleaching the same strands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement