Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leopardstown Today

Options
  • 28-12-2009 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

I went to the races today.. I arrived at 2.30...myself and a friend paid €25e in...as soon as we walked through the door the fog descended...at 2.35 they announced the racing was to be postponed for 1 hour or so to see if weather would improve and the racing could re'start,so we hung around for the hour. while we waited there was an further announcement to say racing was cancelled until tomorrow...anyway..because i was only in the door and i never got to see a race. I went back to the admissons office to request a refund..and they said no!!! I couldn't believe it. I feel i've been ripped off like never before.

where do i stand on this issue..surely im entitled to a refund?? What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Unfortunately, the weather is outside the control of the event organisers.

You were very unlucky for this to happen, but I don't think you've any legal right to a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Nonsense. Of course you have a right to a refund. That weather was forecast, yet the racing still went ahead. kick up a fuss til you get satisfaction op. Weather is outside the control of event organisers, me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Paulw wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the weather is outside the control of the event organisers.

You were very unlucky for this to happen, but I don't think you've any legal right to a refund.

maybe bot a refund but i should at least get entry into leopardstown free of charge tomorrow..seeing as the races i paid to watch are now taking place tomorrow instead..

Nozebleed wrote: »
    maybe bot a refund but i should at least get entry into leopardstown free of charge tomorrow..seeing as the races i paid to watch are now taking place tomorrow instead..

You arrived at 2:30pm. The races started much earlier (11:30am??)

It was only the final two races that didn't run.

You still had use of all other facilities provided - bar, restaurant, betting (for other races elsewhere). You didn't buy a ticket for the specific two races, you bought an entry ticket to Leopardstown racecourse.

It's highly unlikely that you will get a refund, nor granted access to tomorrow's races.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,046 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

RTE Sport website says they are charging €15 Tuesday instead of €25 and the Lexus is being run as the fourth race. It doesn't say that it is €15 only if you produce Monday's ticket.

Everyone could make a case for some refund since the last three races were cancelled but the fact that you missed the first four as well by not arriving until 2.30 probably doesn't put you in any stronger position legally.

• Advertisement

Paul W

I was typing when you posted. I thought it was three races cancelled.

You arrived at 2:30pm. The races started much earlier (11:30am??)

It was only the final two races that didn't run.

You still had use of all other facilities provided - bar, restaurant, betting (for other races elsewhere). You didn't buy a ticket for the specific two races, you bought an entry ticket to Leopardstown racecourse.

It's highly unlikely that you will get a refund, nor granted access to tomorrow's races.

I bought a ticket to watch horse racing specifically the Lexus Chase (main event)...which was cancelled...i didn't pay €25 to walk around and admire the facilities. so having paid €25 to view the lexus chase which was rescheduled why should i have to pay an additional €15 to view the race tomorrow? what piss'es me off even more is the fact that i was not informed that the racing might be cancelled on entry to the race course...5 minutes after walking through the doors the event gets called off...is disgraceful.

I was typing when you posted. I thought it was three races cancelled.

Sorry, you're right. 1 race cancelled, and 2 postponed until tomorrow.

4 races completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

You win some, you loose some..... it's the risk you take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bad luck thats all that happened today. Maybe you should have checked conditions before you left.

• Advertisement

I bought a ticket to watch horse racing specifically the Lexus Chase (main event)...which was cancelled...i didn't pay €25 to walk around and admire the facilities. so having paid €25 to view the lexus chase which was rescheduled why should i have to pay an additional €15 to view the race tomorrow? what piss'es me off even more is the fact that i was not informed that the racing might be cancelled on entry to the race course...5 minutes after walking through the doors the event gets called off...is disgraceful.

No, you may have wanted access to view just that race, but the ticket entry is for access to the racecourse, not for a specific race. Look on your ticket and you will see that.

According to the RTE website

Explaining the decision to postpone, Leopardstown racecourse manager, Tom Burke, said: 'The forecast had no mention of the fog or of the little bit of rain we got too.

'The fog came in so quickly that it was a safety issue as the riders could not see the first fence.

'Safety is such a major issue that we could not take a chance and the stewards decided to call the meeting off.

'We will run the Lexus tomorrow as the fourth race and admission will be €15 rather than €25.

I don't see any comment there to say that they didn't mean to offend nozebleed. My understanding, from reading reports, is that they delayed the start of the race by an hour, before then cancelling it, at 3:30.

It's a case of tough luck. They don't control the weather, and safety is their concern, not what the crowd think.

Ahh...sure i'll kick up a fuss anyway just to see what happens..

Ahh...sure i'll kick up a fuss anyway just to see what happens..

At the same time, don't forget, they have the right to refuse entry, so if you kick up too much of a fuss, they mightn't let you in at all.

Oh, and check the weather forecast before you go, just in case. ;)

At the same time, don't forget, they have the right to refuse entry, so if you kick up too much of a fuss, they mightn't let you in at all.

Oh, and check the weather forecast before you go, just in case. ;)

sure the fog could come ot of nowhere again like today..what'll i do then? would i be entitled o a refund then??? seeing as there wouldn't be another days racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Was it not bleeding obvious to the organisers of this that there was a very high chance of it being postponed? Why did they go ahead this morning? Did it come down to money?

It should have been postponed not only for the issues around the weather forecast for the venue and the chances of fog descending but also on account of the people travelling to the venue. Unfortunately that bus in Wicklow that crashed was carrying peiople on their way to an event that probably should have been cancelled this morning.

I have never been racing but I would think circumstances like this are covered by some sort of terms and conditions. Are they printed in the racecard or on the ticket in an abbreviated form or are there notices at the tracks?

sure the fog could come ot of nowhere again like today..what'll i do then? would i be entitled o a refund then??? seeing as there wouldn't be another days racing?

Maybe you should ask before you pay your entry fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dixiefly wrote: »
    Was it not bleeding obvious to the organisers of this that there was a very high chance of it being postponed? Why did they go ahead this morning? Did it come down to money?

It should have been postponed not only for the issues around the weather forecast for the venue and the chances of fog descending but also on account of the people travelling to the venue. Unfortunately that bus in Wicklow that crashed was carrying peiople on their way to an event that probably should have been cancelled this morning.
    Noone is forced to go racing. It's up to all people to make their own choices. The organisers look at the conditions of their locality and not every road in the country. If the local roads are bad they'll cancel otherwise the show goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I have never been racing but I would think circumstances like this are covered by some sort of terms and conditions. Are they printed in the racecard or on the ticket in an abbreviated form or are there notices at the tracks?
    Yes they are all over the place and also in the race card.

When a meeting is abandoned before the the start of the 2nd race patrons will be issued with a voucher for a choice of another race meeting (fixed choice or three meeting usually). Standard in all Horse Racing Ireland courses.

You pay into the meeting, one race is enough to deem the meeting as having been run. The event therefore took place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nonsense. Of course you have a right to a refund. That weather was forecast, yet the racing still went ahead. kick up a fuss til you get satisfaction op. Weather is outside the control of event organisers, me arse.

Are you serious? The weather forecast is not mentioned anywhere in the purchase of goods and supply of services act, unless I'm very much mistaken.

Paying in at such a late stage was where the mistake was made.

• Advertisement

No complaint yet about the rain today? I'm somewhat surprised. :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No complaint yet about the rain today? I'm somewhat surprised. :P

They shouldn't have been able to stop the rain today :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

This is more of a customer malfunction to be fair and to pay €25 to watch one race is just silly.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    This is more of a customer malfunction to be fair and to pay €25 to watch one race is just silly.

Yep...just to clarify...i didn;t pay €25 to watch 1 race,I arrived late when there were still 3 races left..i.e. 2 hours racing still to watch. these races were subsequently cancelled and i was told to go fcuk myself if i wanted a refund...

Advertisement