Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cornmarket Bar

• 28-12-2009 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

I noticed that this place is open again, would anyone here recommend it?

57_big.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Liked the place, just not the crowd. They seemed to let every knacker in town in there. The door policy was always a bit hit and miss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Why did it close in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Why did it close in the first place?
    Cashflow problems, the owner of the building then took it over, but it was rarely busy, a friend was what you might call the manager there for a while (i.e the only bar man in the place, open, close and all that jazz most nights) and tried a few things with it, but it never took off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's only open Thursday to Sunday nights now with a late bar licence. I passed the place one Saturday night about 2 weeks ago and it looked deserted. Place is poorly laid out imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The place itself isnt so bad but its scobe central, and every table seemed drenched in drink any time i was ever in there, can scumbags literally not hold their booze or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

krudler wrote: »
    The place itself isnt so bad but its scobe central, and every table seemed drenched in drink any time i was ever in there, can scumbags literally not hold their booze or something?

its just in their nature to destroy everything they come across and ruin everybody elses night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Spent a few nights in there over the christmas and got chatting to one of the door men. He was saying it is a pity it doesn't seem to be taking off again - same as before. It is really big inside, plenty of seating and a dancefloor with a few big screens. A very long bar ensuring timely service but it just doesn't seem to be attracting the punters. The doorman was blaming the location stating that if it was on the other side of that building it would attract more.
    There can be a few knacks in there but not the really bad ones, the door guys are using a balanced policy I would say...i.e. not being ott so as to encourage some business but refusing the real undesirables too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Needs to give itself time, it will take a while to lose it's rep but it has a good location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think it is the location to be honest, when it first opened under the previous management the place was pretty popular. I remember going in there on a Saturday night and the you could not get a seat. I think the problem mainly is that they left too many skangers in there so alot of people assume it will be the same again.

Also the layout may look good on paper but in reality the bar is long alright but they would not serve people at one end up the steps as you head to the toilets and there was a massive pillar about half ways down so you could not grab the attention of the too few bar staff either side of it. You often waited upto 10 mins to get served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

The main problem i had with this place was the door staff, it was the old crew from trinity rooms that were replaced by the management in trinity. Very arrogant and flippant with customers. Then they started to leave in every tom dick and harry and the place just bombed. The new management aren't doing much to promote the place at the moment, also i was in there shortly after it re-opened, and the type of clientel in there wasn't exactly what you would call great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Yes it's mainly down to promotion. Have not heard of any significant events planned for Cornmarket. Tbh I myself thought the problems were all down to it's location but Angel Lane is only a stones throw away and it's flooded every weekend with people. Cornmarket is in itself an excellent bar and it really is a shame that it isn't doing the kind of business it deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

anyone got a name for someone running the place that they could PM me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

zuroph wrote: »
    anyone got a name for someone running the place that they could PM me?

I could find out,leave it with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

I went here for a short while New Years Eve and I thought it was a nice place, must go back in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It has a reputation for being full of scum which puts off a lot of people. Maybe they should have reopened under a new name much in the way The Bailey changed from Mojo's and kicked out the scum in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

from what i hear its closing again shortly, that it was just an experiment over xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Suppose the bitter end is the scummy spot now

• Registered Users Posts: 23 niamhchick

We(group of school friends in mid 20s and our boyfriends-all in good jobs) used always go to the Cornmarket when it was open first as there was always been a large crowd of us heading out for birthdays and other occassion. its a very spacious pub and we had many an enjoyable night in there. So when we heard that re-opened again in November we decided we would meet there for our Christmas get together/my birthday night out.One of the lads had heard that the bouncers were very strict that someone he knew had been refused 'because they wanted to get more of a Nancy's crowd in there'! When we got in there were approx 6 others in the pub at the time, our crowd was slowly arriving. There was about 15 of us in there at the time(with approx 15more due to come) when my boyfriend called me to say that one of the lads wasn't allowed in-this lad is one of the most innocent lads i know-28,doesn't drink, drives and is the most polite person i know. i went out to the bouncers and asked 'can you let him in he's with us? or else we'll have to leave'. He said that my friend had stumbled coming across the road and that he was drunk!! When i heard that i said he doesn't drink and its cobblestones and there were obviously icy(this was the start of the really bad weather). The bouncer started roaring laughing at me-this really annoyed me!I tried to explain that my friend doesn't drink and that out of all of us inside drinking he was the one who should have gotten without any hassle and he started shouting over me. Then the bouncer next to him who i recognised from Docs when it was open, started giving out that i wasn't very polite that i never asked politely could he go in-to which i apologised for. They continued to refuse my friend entry and he got embarrassed and said that he'd go home(He'd driven over 40miles to come out). I said they had a choice they either let him in or we would leave and they still weren't listening to me. So i went in and gathered up my 14 or so friends and we left.As we were leaving 4 more of my friends were on the way in and i said we were leaving-the bouncers started going on at us 'oh there is no need for that'!! We kept walking and went to Flannery's and had a great time in there and none of us had any hassle getting in there. I can guarantee you that we will never give the Cornmarket any bit of business again after that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

niamhchick wrote: »
    We(group of school friends in mid 20s and our boyfriends-all in good jobs) used always go to the Cornmarket when it was open first as there was always been a large crowd of us heading out for birthdays and other occassion. its a very spacious pub and we had many an enjoyable night in there. So when we heard that re-opened again in November we decided we would meet there for our Christmas get together/my birthday night out.One of the lads had heard that the bouncers were very strict that someone he knew had been refused 'because they wanted to get more of a Nancy's crowd in there'! When we got in there were approx 6 others in the pub at the time, our crowd was slowly arriving. There was about 15 of us in there at the time(with approx 15more due to come) when my boyfriend called me to say that one of the lads wasn't allowed in-this lad is one of the most innocent lads i know-28,doesn't drink, drives and is the most polite person i know. i went out to the bouncers and asked 'can you let him in he's with us? or else we'll have to leave'. He said that my friend had stumbled coming across the road and that he was drunk!! When i heard that i said he doesn't drink and its cobblestones and there were obviously icy(this was the start of the really bad weather). The bouncer started roaring laughing at me-this really annoyed me!I tried to explain that my friend doesn't drink and that out of all of us inside drinking he was the one who should have gotten without any hassle and he started shouting over me. Then the bouncer next to him who i recognised from Docs when it was open, started giving out that i wasn't very polite that i never asked politely could he go in-to which i apologised for. They continued to refuse my friend entry and he got embarrassed and said that he'd go home(He'd driven over 40miles to come out). I said they had a choice they either let him in or we would leave and they still weren't listening to me. So i went in and gathered up my 14 or so friends and we left.As we were leaving 4 more of my friends were on the way in and i said we were leaving-the bouncers started going on at us 'oh there is no need for that'!! We kept walking and went to Flannery's and had a great time in there and none of us had any hassle getting in there. I can guarantee you that we will never give the Cornmarket any bit of business again after that night.
    Interesting story, can't understand the ignorance of bouncers like that, no point in even debating with the ignorant boloxs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

niamhchick wrote: »
    Dead right to leave, but what you should have done was went up to the manager before ye left and explain to him why ye were leaving, and then still left. Bouncers like that are only on a power trip but at the same time Bouncers that cost a pub/club 20+ customers for just being ignorant tend to get replaced pretty quickly. It's just a pity they got off the hook there. You could still make the complaint of course ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 niamhchick

ya all Christmas long I've been tempted to call back there and complain!! Must do it!! I didn't see anyone in there on the night that looked like a manager-in fairness it was like a ghost town in there!! Actually think there was only 2 working behind the bar when we were there and come to think of it they had never heard of Butterballs!! If the bouncers and management allow the pub to be run in this way its destined to go into recievership!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's ridiculous. At the very least you should make a complaint to the manager. If they keep pissing off customers then negative word of mouth will put off plenty of other would-be patrons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

niamhchick, you should really let the management in there know about what happened that night, theyre from cork and not familiar with the limerick bouncer 'culture'.
    Theyre good people and Id like to see the place do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

They should have done their research on limerick if hired someone thats knows the bar scene here.Its too late for that place whatever hope it had 3 years ago,we are in recesssion all the under 25s drink at home and go to late bars or clubs drunk,people dont know how to drink a few quiet pints in locals now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

people dont know how to drink a few quiet pints in locals now
    It's fairly simple tbf. You just go in to your local and tell the barman what you fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Love my local wouldn't know life without it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FromLimerick

Hi Everyone,

Does anybody have any information on this bar I am from Limerick and see that it is still closed. I would be really interested in taking this bar on and reopening it. So if anybody can tell me who owns it, is it still under lease, who do I contact to get in and take a look at it. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 taffda

Hi fromlimerick,
    I am also interested in this bar, how did you get on 11 months ago??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Odd first post and a zombie thread.

Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement