Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philips Ambilight 42pfl8404h/12 & XBox

• 28-12-2009 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Hi I have just got the tv above and have connected the XBox via component.
    I have set the xbox to 1080p but I am full sure I am geting a tiny bit of lag on the console. I am moving from a Sony 32" U series and I am sure there is some lag. Is this possible or is it just the move to the bigger screen. An example would be missing the putting power zone every time in tiger woods if anyone plays that they will know what I mean. Getting my ass handed to me in FPS is nothing new but I reckon its there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

This happened to my friend the other day as well. Don't know what causes it

He reduced the output of the Xbox to 420p (or whatever one is in the 400s) and it worked fine then.
    Sort of ruins the point of havin a full HD tv though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Cheers for that I first noticed it at 1080i so I changed up to 1080p now I am back at 720p and no problems. Picture seems exactly the same so no loss there. I must try it when using the HDDVD player for 360. I taught I had some lag on that also but figured it was the disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Thats a shame OP, many tv's have input lag and only a very decent tv review will tell you how bad it is. Philips's tvs have had input lag issues in the past and its unfortunate to hear they're still there. In your case, you could try connecting the xbox using the vga cable. often lag is caused by the tv processing the image. The vga connection would generally be used as a pc connection and a pc input require no processing so much of it may be bypassed. No guarantee's it will work but its worth a try.

Also, assuming the tv accepts 1080p via VGA, it should give improved picture quality because VGA would be a digital connection whereas component is analogue.

Another idea, if it exists in your case would be to label the component source as a PC source. I do this with my 40" samsung when connecting the xbox via HDMI, because i know my tv lags normally. It works similiar to the VGA above, when the tv thinks it is recieving a source from a PC, it will bypass some of the processing

And another thing, your tv has a 100Hz feature which is pretty irrelevant when gaming and it would certainly not be helping your input lag problem so you should turn that off when gaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭mailrewop

my friend got this tv yesterday he also experienced input lag. he turned off the 100hz function and changed it to game mode. since he did that he said its ok. i was thinking of getting the samsung 40leb650 but i heard it suffers from high input lag.

Does anyone know if there is any difference between Component 1080p and 720p on the XBox. Is this a case where you would really need the new model of the XBox with the HDMI out instead to see the improvement.
    I was messing about last night and when switching between 1080p and 720p I couldnt tell the difference.

The TV rocks so far and I cannot believe the quality from a regular chorus box on most channels. I must get my hands on a proper HD device to see if there is any lag I wouldnt be surprised if this is just an XBox thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Hi folks.
    I would like to jump in here & state that I have this TV (42pfl8694-more powerful speakers and universal remote. Same besides). You need to turn off the HD natural motion & thus the 100hz option will switch itself off.
    The result is that you will get pixel for pixel mapping from the Xbox360 or ps3 without lag
    Enjoy

Cheers for that I will try it out

Obskure wrote: »
    Hi folks.
    I would like to jump in here & state that I have this TV (42pfl8694-more powerful speakers and universal remote. Same besides). You need to turn off the HD natural motion & thus the 100hz option will switch itself off.
    The result is that you will get pixel for pixel mapping from the Xbox360 or ps3 without lag
    Enjoy

Cheers for that it worked a treat working perfect now :D

Advertisement