Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out the final selling price of a house?

Options
  • 28-12-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if there is a way of finding out the price which a house in a certain area has sold for? I'm looking at buying a house at the minute but I would love to know at what price similiar houses in the area have sold for so I could use this as a guide for the house I'm interested in buying. At the minute I'm going by hearsay from the neighbours and for example, I know that a house on the road was on at 320k but was eventually sold at 250k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Unfortunately there is no official or relaible way of finding out the selling price of a house in Ireland. This information is kept hidden. This is very wrong in my opinion but our government is slow to do anything about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

robd wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is no official or relaible way of finding out the selling price of a house in Ireland. This information is kept hidden. This is very wrong in my opinion but our government is slow to do anything about it.

Why is it wrong? A house is only worth what some one is will to pay for it and that involves negotiations with the vendor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Some people might not want their neighbours to know how much they paid for their house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

godtabh wrote: »
    Why is it wrong? A house is only worth what some one is will to pay for it and that involves negotiations with the vendor

Its wrong because we have no clarity on price. Nobody knows what the value of property is. The market will continue to limp downwards as people are afraid to pay any amount, as inevitably that price could be too much.
    If we had published information on house prices (as most other countries) this market correction would be quicker and would result in a stable market sooner, which is actually good for everyone.
    It could also be argued that had we published house prices during the bubble, the market may not have spiralled out of control to the same extent it did.
    Either way the lack of information benefited all the vested interests and put a blindfold on joe public.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's a private sale, there would need to be legislation brought in to make the purchase price public (the IAVI themselves wanted it brought in), but the government has other problems on it's hands at the moment.

The Irish Times used to print prices (as told by Estate Agents, with permission from both parties) until it found out that the prices were €100,000 out at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Yeah you'll only find out if both parties agree to disclose the price. Alternatively, there's nothing stopping you just asking the buyer how much they paid. I bought recently and if someone asked me how much I paid I'd have no problem disclosing. I doubt many people would if they thought it was for a genuine reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Massive Muscles

Lack of accurate information on house prices is one of the reasons that Ireland has destoryed its own economy. It should have been a neccesary part of banking regulation and we are all now paying the price to the tune of tens or billions and for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Its a case of corruption too
    Two years ago i tried to buy a house in ballina
    House asking prize was 150.000
    Someone else started bidding and prize gone up to almost 200.000
    i was gone gone to expensif to me
    Later i heard the seller was a dutch guy who worked by cocacola and for me it was easy to find out who it was because i ve worked there too
    I called him 6 months after the sale and he told me he got 165.000 eu for the house

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In the uk it is all public knowledge the best hope here is to see if you can ask people that bought or sold recently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

try installing property-bee into yoour mozilla.

another option is http://www.irishpropertywatch.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement